ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - windows 10 pro keeps freezing and various errors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

windows 10 pro keeps freezing and various errors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 9:03am
I am running 1703 on a Hyper-V VM with no problem.  Will allow my real system soon.  Enjoy, John.
djactivator View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djactivator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 6:19pm
as suggested, i have created a fresh win 10 boot USB this morning using the microsoft creation tool, booted from the USB , did repair options, elevated CMD prompt, tried to do a sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows and got this, windows resource protection could not start windows....

clubfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clubfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 9:55pm
If his memory is testing fine without error on a memtest+ boot usb, then I would try a different SSD or HDD if he has been using the same SSD. Is he running a ram drive or speed boost?
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 2:54am
clubfoot, as near as I can tell deactivator has done no memory testing.  I have suggested mdsched (Widows based) because it is easy to run and does not involve creating bootable memtest86 media.

deactivator, please do some memory testing!  Run one stick at a time and run mdsched.  Assuming you are willing to format you install disk, for your next install, when the disk select menu comes up, press Shift+F10.  This will give you an Administrator command prompt.  Type diskpart (disk partition), then list disk.  From the list of disks, select the one you want to install W10 on and type select disk x, where x is the disk number of the disk you want to install on.  Make absolutely sure you have selected the correct disk!!!!  Diskpart is unforgiving and asks for no confirmation!  Next type clean.  As soon as you hit enter, diskpart will clean your disk!  It will ask you nothing.  When this finishes (short), exit diskpart and install W10,  I recommend you specify GPT for the install disk format.
Please start all this after your memory testing.
Enjoy, John.
twf85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 2:33am
Here's a quick update:

1. Memtest came back clear.
2. Problem seems to be related to either connected USB devices, USB ports, or possibly USB headers on the motherboard.

Since disconnecting the USB devices, he was able to use his system for over 24 hours (a new record for him). He was also able to complete SFC and DISM without issue.

Right now I am trying to get him to go through the painstaking process of testing each USB device, one at a time, and then each port, one at a time. If all the devices connected to back ports come back clear, and all the ports on the back come back clear, we will move on to testing the header-connected USB ports.

Because of all the trouble I've had with USB3 headers, I wouldn't be surprised if that may have been the problem all along.

To test each device/port, I suggested that he plug a device in, restart the computer, and then run SFC. Running SFC consistently triggered a freeze/crash at approximately 12%. Would you guys know of a quicker way to perform the testing of these devices/ports? His instinct was to just go about using his computer and wait for the computer to freeze, but given how random the freezes/crashes are, I advised against that.
clubfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clubfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 5:15am
Originally posted by twf85 twf85 wrote:

Here's a quick update:

Because of all the trouble I've had with USB3 headers, I wouldn't be surprised if that may have been the problem all along.

I have had the same experience as you and would agree that removing this connection would eliminate a probable cause.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 6:11am
USB drives attached????????

Check what Etron USB 3.0 driver is being used.

Last I knew 118 was stable. 119 was problematic for many many Users. Me included.
djactivator View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djactivator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 6:14pm
where do I get this Etron 118 Driver for windows 10 64bit?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 3:18am
Originally posted by djactivator djactivator wrote:

where do I get this Etron 118 Driver for windows 10 64bit?

http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Drivers/All/USB/EtronUSB3(v0.118).zip
droseph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droseph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 9:29am
Hey djactivator, how old is your windows 10 install media?

I had very similar problems with a recent ryzen build and it was because my copy of win 10 was too old. I was able to fix the problem with a new copy of windows. I've read that others have been able to get their systems to work by installing windows updates.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic