ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock AB350 Pro with Ryzen 5 1600 wont post

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GizRev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock AB350 Pro with Ryzen 5 1600 wont post
    Posted: 18 May 2017 at 8:20pm
Hello folks,

The last PC I assembled was the good ol' Socket 939 Athlon. So please feel free to remind me of any obvious "gotchas"

Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Mobo: ASRock AB350 Pro4
RAM: 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 ( CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 -- this exact serial number is NOT found on the QVL list here: http://asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350%20Pro4/index.asp?cat=Memory#Memory )
GPU: MSI RX 580 gaming X 4g GPU
PSU: Corsair RM 550x PSU
Case: Corsair Carbide 200R
Extra: PCIe WLAN card

Problem:
The computer wont post. The CPU spins, the GPU lights up, but then nothing. Specifically, I've connected the GPU HDMI to "HDMI1" of my monitor. The monitor displays nothing (yes, I've selected the "HDMI1" channel).

* I've installed the RAM in the A2 and B2 slots ( http://imgur.com/a/dvnzB )
* I tried removing all RAM sticks. When I do that, the system enters a rebooting loop
* I tried keeping just 1 RAM stick into A1 and B1 slots too. No luck, still no POST.
* I looked at the sticker on the BIOS chip (the chip placed just above the PCIE1 socket); and it says "P1.49". Is that the bios version? Is this version too low and thus causing conflict with my RAM? If so, howw can I update the bios if the system wont even boot.
* There are 2 Chassis fans both connected to Chassis jumpers. However, only one of them spins. Dunno if this is related, but I dont care about this so will debug it later.
* Yes, I've connected the 8 pin CPU power into the PSU.

Would appreciate your help. I've had one meal in the last 18 hours and just 4 hours of sleep.

Thanks in advance.

Update1:
* I also bought a Corsair Vengeance 2133hz  DDR4 RAM so I can safely discard the "RAM issue".
Still no go. It's still possible I am not connecting the cables properly ... but I don't know which.
* Yes, I've secured the RAM stick firmly and I do hear the click sound (actually I hear 2 sounds from both sides of the stick as they "click in"
* I have reattached the GPU, and it fits in really nice and snugly. So I doubt it's that
* I have disconnected the SATA power, SATA cable, all jumpers (except POWER BTN), Shassis FAN 1 and Chassis FAN 2.
* I have a 144hz monitor, I've tried HDMI1, HDMI2 and Display Port. Do I need to change other settings on this specific monitor? Do I need to enable FreeSync? btw, my setup doesnt have an internal PC speaker. So I dont here the usual beep(s)... I say this because, could it be the monitor settings all along?

Update2:
* Please see my PSU cabling setup ( http://imgur.com/a/H6zrn ). Hopefully this is correct
* The Corsair Carbine 200R case comes with pre-installed standoffs for the microATX form-factor mobos. Having said that, how do I know (a) how many standoffs the ASRock 350AB Pro4 has; (b) where are they? Is there a design sketch i can find somewhere?
* I have tried shorting the CMOS jumper to clear the CMOS (though, have not tried removing the battery - will try that too, I guess)
* My next step is try to find a mobo speaker to listen for any sounds that can indicate whats going on. But, where can I find the "legend" for what the sounds mean for this particular mobo?

Update3:
* I have cleared the CMOS battery entirely per the earlier instructions
* At the moment, the 1x8 gb 2133 hz Corsair Vengeance RAM stick is in the A2 slot (I am debugging with a single stick, as suggested. On that note, I also tried both sticks in A2 and B2).

Update4:
* As per suggestions, I breadboarded the system to rule out standoff issues (http://imgur.com/a/K6sbJ). Specifically, the only connected components were CPU (with and without heatsink -- see pic), mobo, GPU, power jumper, 1 stick of 2133 8gb RAM in A2 (but also tested in multiple slots) and CPU fan. Still no luck.

Update5:
Originally posted by TooQik TooQik wrote:

Just a thought, you've been checking everything on the motherboard side, have you checked that you plugged the 8 pin CPU power cable into the correct port on the PSU itself ie. the PSU port labeled 4+4 CPU (Top far right) and not the 6+2 PCI-E by mistake?

Actually, that's an acute observation TooQik. I wondered the same thing, but someone IRC and Discord's #buildapc channel told me that "it didnt really matter" -- is that true? (BTW, I got my PC spec suggestions from there).
Nonetheless, here is the picture of the setup... http://imgur.com/OPE6K08
So yes, I put the CPU cable (the end labelled "Type4") into the slot marked "4+4 CPU"

Update6:
Bought and tried a new PSU (Corsair VS650). This is not a modular PSU, thus minimizing the risk of placing the wrong cables on an end (not that it was incorrect earlier, but anyway). No luck. So I assumed it must be the mobo.
Therefore, I sent the ASRock AB350 Pro4 for RMA and replaced it with another. Still no luck.
Bought an ASUS Prime b350 mobo. No luck.

Only CPU and GPU remains. New ones will arrive tomorrow. Will keep you updated.

BTW, for some of these tests I am not attaching the heatsink on the CPU as I am only looking for a POST signal. On reddit, IRC and Discord's #buildaPC, I was assured that that should be OK... and infact, it's even possible to run a PC normally without a heatsink (though not recommended). Am just curious if these AM4 motherboards would prevent a POST due to lack of a heatsink.

Update7:
I am writing this from the new PC! All good now. The problem was the "MSI RX 580 gaming X 4g" GPU that was DOA. BTW, for future reference:
* A glowing GPU doesnt not mean a functioning one
* It is possible to POST without attaching the heatsink, except this mobo will give a "CPU Fan Error" message at startup

Edited by GizRev - 25 May 2017 at 11:29am
Optik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Optik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 9:30pm
The number on the sticker is your bios version, ryzen 5 starts will all version. Can u try other ram or all slots with only 1 stick.
Maybe 1 stick is broken, ryzen run with all rams qvl or not.
Taichi X370
AMD R7 1700X
Arctic Liquid FreeZer 240
G.Skill Flare X 3200 cl 14@2933
PowerColer RX480
Phanteks EnTHoo Luxe
BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 11 550W
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 9:59pm
Welcome to the forums Cool

First thing to check is that all your connections are properly seated. Sometimes one of the power cables may not be all the way in and cause issues. After you are sure you have everything properly connected check to make sure your RAM is properly seated in the slot, we have had a few instances of POST failure caused by people thinking the RAM was all the way in when it actually wasn't. Check with a flashlight from a slight angle to make sure both edges of the RAM are in the slot correctly. New slots can be quite snug.

Same again for the GPU, make sure it is fully seated in the slot. These are all things you learn as you build more PCs and cause problems even for people that have been building systems for years if overlooked. 

Quote I looked at the sticker on the BIOS chip (the chip placed just above the PCIE1 socket); and it says "P1.49". Is that the bios version?

Yes, this is the BIOS version shipped with your board. It is unlikely that your RAM is incompatible to the point that it would cause a post failure (PC turning on but nothing displayed). It is possible but I doubt it is the cause of your issues. Far more likely is a bad connection somewhere. 

If all the steps I outlined above don't solve the issue you can try pulling the board out of the case and running it on top of the box it came in. This is called bread-boarding or bench testing. 

Let us know how it goes. 
GizRev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GizRev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 10:15pm

I was going to go buy new RAM (from the QVL list), but you folks think otherwise....

* Yes, I've secured the RAM stick firmly and I do hear the click sound (actually I hear 2 sounds from both sides of the stick as they "click in"
* How can it be a mis-seated GPU? because the GPU is fully lit up when I power-on
* I have a 144hz monitor, I've tried HDMI1, HDMI2 and Display Port. Do I need to change other settings on this specific monitor? Do I need to enable FreeSync? btw, my setup doesnt have an internal PC speaker. So I dont here the usual beep(s)... I say this because, could it be the monitor settings all along?
* I put the HDMI cable into the *motherboards* slot instead of the GPU (is that the right thing to do?) ... but still no post.

Thanks for your swift response.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 11:05pm
The motherboard's display outputs are only usable with an APU installed. Ryzen 5 and 7 have no iGPU so there isn't any signal to output. As far as I am aware the only APUs available on the AM4 platform are OEM only. We are still waiting for "Zen" based APUs to be released.

Anything with a connector can be improperly seated. If the GPU is partially out of the slot then it can still light up and spin up if the power connectors are making contact. That does not mean the display contacts are, well, making contact. 

Double check that you have the correct 8 pin power connector hooked up to the CPU 12v, it is possible to force a PCIe 8pin connector in there so make sure that isn't the case. I have seen that cause the exact issue you are having. 

Also disconnect all your front panel leads except for your power switch. If you have something bridging the reset switch that can also cause the system to behave as you describe. It's pretty easy to hook up an LED to the reset switch header or have the reset switch stuck in a depressed position.  
GizRev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GizRev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 5:33am
An update:
* I have reattached the GPU, and it fits in really nice and snugly. So I doubt it's that
* I have disconnected the SATA power, SATA cable, all jumpers (except POWER BTN), Shassis FAN 1 and Chassis FAN 2.
* I also bought a Corsair Vengeance 2133hz  DDR4 RAM so I can safely discard the "RAM issue".

Still no go. It's still possible I am not connecting the cables properly ... but I don't know which.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 6:41am
Ok, now things get interesting Wink

Lets break this into some bullet points:

1. The 8 pin 12v CPU connector should be labeled as 12v CPU, if it isn't you can still identify it as being comprised of a 4+4 pin connector that clip together to form 1 x 8pin. It should be connected to the 4+4 pin CPU connector marked on your PSU. This is assuming the PSU you listed is correct. It should be modular (cables are separate and connect on one end to the PSU and the other to various components.)

2. Make sure they PCIe power connectors are attached to your GPU. If you don't have them connected the GPU will not output a signal. In your case it should be a single 8 pin connector. PCIe connectors are a 6+2 design so 6 pins with an extra 2 that snap together to form an 8 pin. 

3. It can take a while for a Ryzen system to post for the first time, make sure you leave the system powered on for a full 5 mins to be sure you are not turning it off again too soon. On a new Ryzen build the board will attempt to "train" the memory. This can take several tries and I have heard anywhere up to 2 minutes for the first post. Once the memory is trained, subsequent power ups will be faster.

4. Make sure all your mounting standoffs are in the correct positions and not shorting under the board.   

5. If all else fails then try clearing CMOS. You can follow the instructions in the sticky here:

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=630&title=how-to-clear-cmos-via-battery-removal

Let us know how it goes.
GizRev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GizRev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 7:28am
* Please see my PSU cabling setup ( http://imgur.com/a/H6zrn ). Hopefully this is correct.
* There is one weird tiny screw that seems important enough to have a little bag and it's own serial number. I think it came from the mobo, but not sure ( http://imgur.com/a/tDAoz - 2 pics)
Does anyone know?
* The Corsair Carbine 200R case comes with pre-installed standoffs for the microATX form-factor mobos. Having said that, how do I know (a) how many standoffs the ASRock 350AB Pro4 has; (b) where are they? Is there a design sketch i can find somewhere?
* I have tried shorting the CMOS jumper to clear the CMOS (though, have not tried removing the battery - will try that too, I guess)
* My next step is try to find a mobo speaker to listen for any sounds that can indicate whats going on. But, where can I find the "legend" for what the sounds mean for this particular mobo?

MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 7:40am
GixRev, that tiny screw in a bag is probably the hold down screw for the M.2 socket.  If you have a card in the socket, then the screw MUST be used or the card will not work correctly.  Enjoy, John.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 11:19am
Originally posted by GizRev GizRev wrote:

* The Corsair Carbine 200R case comes with pre-installed standoffs for the microATX form-factor mobos. Having said that, how do I know (a) how many standoffs the ASRock 350AB Pro4 has

If you didn't verify the number and position of standoffs are correct, first thing I'd do is lift it from the case, place it on a PLAIN cardboard box(MB box) and see if it powers up. Once you get it outside the case and before powering up the first time, clear the BIOS.

Be sure mem is in slots A2 and B2 before doing the above.

Your power cabling looks correct.

Post back how it behaves outside the case.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic