ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock BIOS and 3200 mhz! boot-time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote x58haze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock BIOS and 3200 mhz! boot-time
    Posted: 20 May 2017 at 9:57am
Sorry for my English ^^,

Finally I got this ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 motherboard, but yeah the manual was kinda confusing, when comes to set properly the RAMS I ended up putting my viper kit dual channel 2x4 gb , into the socket A2, B2 I upgrade sucessfully my bios from 1.40 to latest 2.5. But I'm facing a problem, it seems that when I activate the Xmp 2.0 profile 1, it will slow down the boot time like crazy, and my cpu fan start to: turn on/off automatically ...

So i was wondering what can i do? should i overlock manually?

PCSPECS:

GPU: EVGA GTX 580 NVIDIA 1.5 GB
PSU: Thermaltake 775+bronce 80
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 3.2
RAM: Patriot Viper 3200mhz 2x4 GB model PV48G320c6k
CASE:Thermaltake v9 black edition

PS: Also I don't want to sound disrespectful but I've notice a downgrade in
sound performance, compared to my old intel H55m-e33, which I don't have a gaming headset. Anyway, hope someone can guidance me in order to fix or improve a little be the Ryzen experience among my old gtx 580 and new rams.. and also if someone can teach me to boost my SOUND, the creative 3 is not helping either seems like it doesn't do anything. :(
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 10:37am
Originally posted by x58haze x58haze wrote:

Sorry for my English ^^,

Finally I got this ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 motherboard, but yeah the manual was kinda confusing, when comes to set properly the RAMS I ended up putting my viper kit dual channel 2x4 gb , into the socket A2, B2 I upgrade sucessfully my bios from 1.40 to latest 2.5. But I'm facing a problem, it seems that when I activate the Xmp 2.0 profile 1, it will slow down the boot time like crazy, and my cpu fan start to: turn on/off automatically ...

So i was wondering what can i do? should i overlock manually?

PCSPECS:

GPU: EVGA GTX 580 NVIDIA 1.5 GB
PSU: Thermaltake 775+bronce 80
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 3.2
RAM: Patriot Viper 3200mhz 2x4 GB model PV48G320c6k
CASE:Thermaltake v9 black edition

PS: Also I don't want to sound disrespectful but I've notice a downgrade in
sound performance, compared to my old intel H55m-e33, which I don't have a gaming headset. Anyway, hope someone can guidance me in order to fix or improve a little be the Ryzen experience among my old gtx 580 and new rams.. and also if someone can teach me to boost my SOUND, the creative 3 is not helping either seems like it doesn't do anything. :(

You are just getting started with a Ryzen PC, and you are learning that the biggest issue with Ryzen is memory compatibility. This is information about your Patriot Viper memory:

https://patriotmemory.com/product/viper-4-series-ddr4-8gb-2-x-4gb-3200mhz-kit/

Sorry for the English page, but it tells us that your memory was designed for Intel Skylake processors used with Intel's 100 series chipset boards. The XMP profile is designed to work with the Intel Skylake memory controller. The XMP profile is not compatible with the Ryzen processor's memory controller. We have learned about this since all the existing DDR4 memory was designed for Intel systems, the only ones that used DDR4 memory, until Ryzen was available. We see this issue all the time when we try to use the DDR4 memory XMP profiles with Ryzen.

The very slow "boot time" and the PC turning on and off over and over is really happening during POST. What is happening is a feature called AM4 Advanced Boot Training, which is an option in the UEFI/BIOS, is trying to get your memory to work at 3200. It is doing what is called memory training, the PC turning on and off is normal and is part of the memory training process. Does the PC start after it does the on and off cycle? Is the memory then running at 3200? Unfortunately, the memory training process fails for many models of DDR4 memory.

Only a few ASRock boards with certain models of memory that use Samsung B-die memory chips are able to work at either 2966 or 3200.

You must over clock your memory manually. Try setting the memory speed to 2666 or 2966 at most. Set the DRAM voltage to 1.35V. Set the timing for the memory either on Auto, or 16 16 16 36. I cannot say this will make your memory work at 2666 or higher, all you can do is try.

AMD is still providing Ryzen CPU microcode updates that are used in the UEFI/BIOS files to mother board manufactures to improve Ryzen memory compatibility. They are called AGESA updates, another one will be added soon to new Ryzen UEFI/BIOS relases, AGESA 1.0.0.6.

You did not tell us enough about your problems with the audio of your Ryzen board. Are you using headphones or speakers? A lot has changed with PC audio since your H55 board was new.
x58haze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote x58haze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 12:57pm
Oh thank you ill try, later.
Another thing is that i feel like pc is slow when comes to render, im using HandBraker, and it says cpu usage 100% when doing Rendering, like a 720P video of 300mb to renderized or convert to mp4, takes like 10 minutes o.O

Also when playing games like diablo 3 even at 100fps with vsync i feel like choppy gameplay, i dont know if, that is my asrock motherboard :(

Also... i remember before buying my pc components i ask here in the forum, and most of them told me that, the ram were fine, also

The fatality asrock ab350, says memory compatible with my patriots.. you can check the MEMORY VQL, so i dont know what did i wrong :( feeling so sad already u.u
it says 4g SS, 2 pieces. i think thats like 2x4 GB? or this only is one piece singles channel? and i put on A2 B2 as dual channel, and i did something wrong? o.o
Asrock ab350 MEMORY suppport VHQL
If you press control+f and type patriot.
http://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty%20AB350%20Gaming%20K4/index.asp#Memory

And i'm using the same stereo headphones from logitech like old one... i guess it wont cost more than 5$

Edited by x58haze - 20 May 2017 at 1:26pm
x58haze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote x58haze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 2:22pm
tried with 1.350 dram voltage, it goes up to 2400 mhz but i notice like 3/4 slow seconds boot time, then i up to 2666 mhz, its become more slow, like 5/6 seconds and finally when goes to 2993 mhz or 2.9 it become unstable, like pc start to shutdown and reboot trying to get into bios.. :s

But yeah bios is 2.5........ oh lord u.u
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 10:51pm
Sorry, I forgot to check the Memory QVL, your memory is in the list. Not many Patriot models are compatible.

But that does not mean you will get the full speed from the memory on a Ryzen system. I have G.SKILL FlareX 3200 memory that is designed for Ryzen, and I cannot get it to work above 2966 in my X370 Killer SLI board. You are not doing anything wrong, as I said before, Ryzen memory compatibility is still an issue, and new UEFI/BIOS updates will hopefully make it better.

The slow boot time is the AM4 Advanced Boot Training that I told you about in my first post. That is the memory training I told you about. That is normal when you use higher memory speeds in a Ryzen system.

Then you will reach a limit where the memory cannot be used at a faster speed. My G.SKILL memory is like that too. The memory speed is too fast for the processor's memory controller to work with, so it fails and should reset the memory speed to a lower speed to let you go into the BIOS. But you must set the memory speed to a lower value, or it will try starting at the faster speed that failed again.  This is all normal for Ryzen PCs, mine does the same thing.

New BIOS updates with improvements from AMD will hopefully make the memory work better. Does your board's BIOS have an SOC Voltage option in the OC Tweaker screen? If it does, you can increase the SOC voltage to 1.2V (normally 0.900V), which might make the memory work at a higher speed.
x58haze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote x58haze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 5:27am
By the way, when i turn off the AM4 advance boot training, it seems to improve the boot loading, which is fine, i can boot more fast.

I will see if i have an option like Soc voltage.
x58haze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote x58haze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 5:29am
By the way hope someone make like a TWEAKING GUIDE for most Ab350 motherboard out there, like on INTEL, that you turn off hpet, or intelspeed steps, things like that. etc,etc
x58haze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote x58haze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 12:49pm
This is what I found in my bios

Here you can see how i have set my memories
Picture 1:

Here is the all OC TWEAKER OPTION, voltages settings looks blurry but
I'll post another picture

Picture 2:

Finally the third picture showing the voltages
Picture 3:

And lastly this a photo of Hardware Monitor it seems to have the SOC voltage:

Hope you can guidance me a little be more, and as i said Early, wish someone in the community do a TWEAKING GUIDE for all settings on Am4 motherboards that would be helpful.

Edited by x58haze - 22 May 2017 at 12:16am
x58haze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote x58haze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 12:48am
Its very interesting, my power management plan is balance
The cpu peak from 1.5 to 2.8, and 3.7, like in core 1 or 2, sometimes
Goes to another cores, look i realize that i found the SOC VOLTAGES
Now my question what can i do :O?, and by the way, what are the safe motherboard temperatures for my motherboard fatality ab350 k4?
Where can i check the safe temperatures, yesterday i realize that my motherboard where between 35-44 temp.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 11:13am
You're asking, what can you do? What can you do about what, getting your memory to 3200?

Any memory speed above 2667 for your board is a memory over clock, and not guaranteed. Just because your memory is rated up to 3200 does not mean it is guaranteed to run at 3200 in any system. I told you I cannot get my 3200 speed memory to run at 3200 in an earlier post, but you seem to ignore that?

The longest anyone has had a Ryzen system is two months, I've had mine for a month. I have at least three other PC platforms that I support on the forum, as well as provide help with NVMe SSDs on any compatible system. My point is I don't have the time to focus only on Ryzen. If I had simple, guaranteed answers for you, I would have given them to you already.

Ryzen is very new, no one has all the answers about everything, even if the answers exist. I told you that AMD is still supplying code updates for the UEFI/BIOS for Ryzen boards that are supposed to provide better memory speed support. We ALL are waiting for them and are stuck with what we can achieve now. Those updates may be spread out over months as far as we know. But you seem to ignore that too. I also told you about the AM4 Advanced Boot Training option that is used to train memory for running at higher speeds, but you told us you disabled it so you can boot faster.

Yes, you found the SOC voltage reading. Your board's UEFI/BIOS does not have an SOC voltage option, not all boards do. B350 chipset boards are more budget oriented boards and won't have all the options that will be found on more expensive boards.

The only other option I've heard about recently that might help with memory over clocks is the VDDP voltage. But the amount to use is uncertain, I can't tell you a perfect value to use.

Safe mother board temperatures are not something that is worried about much if at all. If you mother board temperature is over 40° C, you need to get more air flow into and out of your PC case. I only see one fan speed reading in the HWMonitor screenshot, is that the only fan you have, on the CPU cooler? Or at least connected to the board? Aren't those giant fans in your PC case running? I've used large fans like that in the past, unfortunately they aren't that good as intake fans and need to be run at full speed to move any air.

When you don't over clock a Ryzen CPU, and have the CPU power saving option called Cool n Quiet enabled, the CPU cores will change to lower speeds to save power and reduce heat. That's a standard feature in general found in all modern processors.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic