ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Killer BIOS 2.3 + DDR 2999 issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moonstarmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 Killer BIOS 2.3 + DDR 2999 issues
    Posted: 26 May 2017 at 11:11am
I have the X370 Killer, Ryzen 1600X, and Team Group's Vulcan 3000 RAM.  The issue I keep running across is I cannot get my RAM to run any higher than DDR 2400.  If I use the XMP profile or set it manually with the 1.35 voltage I get 5 boot attempts then defaulted to 2133.

By chance has anyone successfully managed to get this or similar Hynix based RAM to pass 2400 stable or should I look at getting different RAM?

Thanks
TooQik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooQik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 11:32am
I'm running Hynix based RAM also and can only get it to run at 2400 no matter what settings I try in the BIOS. Hopefully the next AGESA release will allow people like us to get higher clocks on our Hynix RAM, from reading other forums 1.0.0.6 is showing a lot of promise in this area.

If higher RAM speeds are important to you right now then I'd suggest getting a RAM kit based on Samsung B-die, otherwise wait until ASRock release a new BIOS containing the AGESA 1.0.0.6 code. AMD released the new AGESA 1.0.0.6 code today, so hopefully it won't be too long before we see the new BIOSes released.

Edited by TooQik - 26 May 2017 at 11:32am
AlbinoRhino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlbinoRhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 9:08pm
My Corsair Vengeance worked at 2933 from day one. The only settings I've changed were:

OC Tweaker:
Dram Frequency: DDR4 2933

Advanced\CPU Configuration:
C6 Mode: Disabled

Advanced\AMD CBS\Zen Common Options:
Global C-state Control: Disabled

Security:
Secure Boot Disabled

Most of these settings are for my OC profile from when I tested my CPU to see where I stood in the lottery.

Even without any of the chanyes I just selected 2933 from the DRAM drop down and it worked.

Edited by AlbinoRhino - 26 May 2017 at 9:08pm
Mike K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 2:04am
I could not get my Corsair Vengeance memory to load its XMP profile or run at full speed (3000MHz) no matter what I tried or how much voltage I hit it with.

I found some information on memory overclocking and what I did to get mine working was to go into these settings.

AMD CBS
DRAM Timing Configuration
ProcODT

I set the ProcODT to 48 Ohms ( Don't quote me on this but I think AUTO is like 53.3 ) AND I also read that you should be very carful of going lower than 40 Ohms ) But after changing that setting It instantly loaded the XMP profile ( The board did not like the 15-17-17 timings so It automatically switched them to 16-17-17 ) I was also able to lower all my memory voltages back to recommended, with a tiny push to SOC voltage from .08 to .10 to get everything stable at 16-16-16-34 timings.

Edited by Mike K - 27 May 2017 at 2:05am
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 2:16am
Originally posted by Mike K Mike K wrote:

I was also able to lower all my memory voltages back to recommended, with a tiny push to SOC voltage from .08 to .10 to get everything stable at 16-16-16-34 timings.

without any malice (and indeed it did chuckle to myself)

but your one of the few guys to state a 25% increase to be 'tiny'
would 25% increase in your tax bill still be tiny ?Wink

in context though 1.0 volts is still a small voltage for the SOC

i just chuckled at the phrase tiny LOL
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Mike K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 2:37am
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

Originally posted by Mike K Mike K wrote:

I was also able to lower all my memory voltages back to recommended, with a tiny push to SOC voltage from .08 to .10 to get everything stable at 16-16-16-34 timings.

without any malice (and indeed it did chuckle to myself)

but your one of the few guys to state a 25% increase to be 'tiny'
would 25% increase in your tax bill still be tiny ?Wink

in context though 1.0 volts is still a small voltage for the SOC

i just chuckled at the phrase tiny LOL

You do make a good point
I have booted it at .08 and .09 but It failed some stress tests, But yeah the way you put it it's a pretty decent push, But I don't think I'm near the limits of the safe zone ( from what I have read the safe Zone ends around .15 SOC ) But again don't quote me on that

Edited by Mike K - 27 May 2017 at 2:42am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 9:38am
Ryzen does not support the memory "divider" for a memory speed of 3000.

Do you see a memory speed of 3000 in the manual memory speed list in the UEFI/BIOS? DDR4 3000 is not listed in the memory specifications as a possible memory OC.

The Memory Support list for your board should have an entry similar to this from my ASRock X370 board:

Each RAM whose frequency is 3000 will downgrade to 2933 with X370 Killer SLI/ac

The closest you can get is 2933.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 4:35am
ProcODT manually set to 53.3 ohm on my Taichi seems to have improved stability and allowed me to get 3466 to work on my 3600 kit.

I will test further but when I saved changes in the UEFI and rebooted the system booted right up, no pre training or cycling... That is the first time I have seen that happen so thanks to whoever mentioned ProcODT first, I am not sure if it was this thread or another that put me onto it but so far I think it may have sorted some of my issues Smile

We are learning all this stuff right along with you guys so thank you all for sharing Thumbs Up
Mike K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 6:01am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

<span style=": rgb43, 43, 43;">ProcODT</span>?manually set to 53.3 ohm on my Taichi seems to have improved stability and allowed me to get 3466 to work on my 3600 kit.

I will test further but when I saved changes in the UEFI and rebooted the system booted right up, no pre training or cycling... That is the first time I have seen that happen so thanks to whoever mentioned?<span style=": rgb43, 43, 43;">ProcODT</span>?first, I am not sure if it was this thread or another that put me onto it but so far I think it may have sorted some of my issues?Smile

We are learning all this stuff right along with you guys so thank you all for sharing?Thumbs Up

Yeah, I went into overclocking this system with the mindset of how it was done on the previous platform ( I never seriously worked with an Intel based system so I'm not sure how its options compare to what I am familiar with )

I quickly realized everything I knew was now out the window

ProcODT is still sort of a mystery to me, from what I have been able to dig up is the higher OHM settings require more cooling ( As an amateur electrician it makes sense - Higher OHM's mean more resistance which would be more heat generated ) But when it comes to overclocking there is just so little information to be found about how exactly this setting changes things, what it changes, and why specific settings can make memory work better or worse...

I have had to scale back my Overclock personally because after updating to the newest 2.50 Agesa 1.0.0.6 (From BIOS 2.20) my motherboard (X370 K4) went from running a stable 4.0 with my memory being able to use the XMP profile, to only able to hit 3.875 CPU and Memory at 2666.

I have not had a ton of time to keep tweaking it but as you said I only could get my memory off of default timings by setting ProcODT to 53.3 as well (I had to bump it up from the setting of 40 that had worked previously)

Well anyway, Glad to hear your getting better performance from your system.
Let me know if you come across any other tidbits of juicy info or personal experiences.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 12:46pm
Temps are down 15c under load with 53.3 set manually. I would have to guess that the system is defaulting to an excessively high value with some memory kits. The value is meant to be different for different memory. This makes a lot of sense with what we have seen with AGESA 1.0.0.6, we have seen a lot of success stories but also a lot of issues. If those of us that have issues are using kits that are not correctly set up regarding ProcODT then it all fits. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic