ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Killer SLI Problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scjconsulting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 Killer SLI Problem
    Posted: 28 May 2017 at 1:07am

I purchased a bare system from CyberPowerPC, with a cheap graphic card and just a 1 TB disk.  It booted up on Windows 10, without a license because I had ordered it without an OS. I then swapped in a EVGA 1080 graphics card and that worked fine.  I then pulled the disk out, put in a 500GB SSD as SATA3_1, 2 2TB hard drives as SATA3_2 & SATA3_3, and a Blu-Ray as SATA3_4.

Now, when it boots, it flashes the ASRock logo, and all I see is a small white dot on the screen.  All the fans and LEDs light up.

I have checked all the connections to the board to make sure nothing had gotten loose.  The lead to the disk activity LED broke off during this process, but I don't see what problem that would be.

Since the board does not have a Dr. Debug, are there is there another way to find the problem before going back to the original setup?

Thank you.
scjconsulting
scjconsulting View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scjconsulting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by scjconsulting scjconsulting wrote:

I purchased a bare system from CyberPowerPC, with a cheap graphic card and just a 1 TB disk.  It booted up on Windows 10, without a license because I had ordered it without an OS. I then swapped in a EVGA 1080 graphics card and that worked fine.  I then pulled the disk out, put in a 500GB SSD as SATA3_1, 2 2TB hard drives as SATA3_2 & SATA3_3, and a Blu-Ray as SATA3_4.

Now, when it boots, it flashes the ASRock logo, and all I see is a small white dot on the screen.  All the fans and LEDs light up.

An update: I was able to boot up the computer again after going back to the original disk and then I have changed some of the SATA assignments.  The documentation seems to be mislabeled because the SATA leads are flipped.

The problem now is that I don't seem to be able to boot either a DVD or a USB of Windows 10 so that I can install Windows 10 on the SSD.  Not quite sure yet why this won't work.  The motherboard does not seem to see the Windows system on either device.  I used the Microsoft procedure to create both boot devices.

Any ideas?

Edited by scjconsulting - 28 May 2017 at 12:30pm
scjconsulting

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scjconsulting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 7:56am

Since no one seems to be around this holiday weekend, I had to solve my own problems.

Solution: I updated the BIOS from  2.1 to 2.3.  It then booted the Windows 10 DVD and I was able to install the OS.

I'm not sure why CyberPowerPC does not update the BIOS of boards they sell.  I did order it without a load device so they must of just put the disk already loaded on the new computer.

It is not the only thing they did and have done wrong in the past.  The hard drive was never attached so it came loose!  Their technical support has some real problems.

So, I guess I get to pat myself on the back, since I can't thank myself!

Clap

Edited by scjconsulting - 29 May 2017 at 7:57am
scjconsulting
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 12:07pm

Since no one seems to be around this holiday weekend, I had to solve my own problems.

Solution: I updated the BIOS from  2.1 to 2.3.  It then booted the Windows 10 DVD and I was able to install the OS.

I'm not sure why CyberPowerPC does not update the BIOS of boards they sell.  I did order it without a load device so they must of just put the disk already loaded on the new computer.

It is not the only thing they did and have done wrong in the past.  The hard drive was never attached so it came loose!  Their technical support has some real problems.

So, I guess I get to pat myself on the back, since I can't thank myself!

Clap

I own the same board, actually the X370 Killer SLI/ac board, that just adds a WiFi module.

That you had problems finding the DVD or USB flash drive Windows 10 installation media in the Boot Order only with UEFI/BIOS version 2.30 does not make sense. I've installed Windows 10 twice on this board, with an earlier UEFI/BIOS version than 2.10 (1.80), and with 2.10 installed. Worked fine each time.

No other users of either version of the X370 Killer SLI board have reported problem installing Windows with any UEFI/BIOS version.

What probably caused the problem in the first place was moving around the drive connections to different SATA ports without clearing the UEFI/BIOS when that was done. Updating to any UEFI/BIOS version also does the equivalent of a UEFI/BIOS clear.

First rule of PC building: Just because you have a problem with something, whether very specific or general, does not mean that everyone, or even anyone, will have the same problem. I learned that the hard way myself, reporting an issue that was quickly dismissed by others as not happening to them.

It sounds like you installed Windows 10 with an SSD and two SATA HDDs installed and running in the PC, is that right? If that is correct, that can be a problem.

The Windows installer, when it finds more than one storage drive during an installation, will put the System/Boot partition on a drive other than the target OS drive, which was no doubt the SSD. The System/Boot partition is now on one of the 2TB HDDs. If you remove that HDD, or it fails, Windows 10 will no longer boot from the SSD.

How long have you had that PC? The 2.30 UEFI version is dated 4/26/17, exactly 30 days ago. CyberPower no doubt has the basic PC models they sell all ready to go with the board and PSU in the PC case. They then just add the CPU, CPU cooler, video card and drive, and ship it out. The 2.10 UEFI is fairly recent, and CyberPower probably just uses the version from the factory. The prepped cases with boards and PSUs could be only a month old, a board with UEFI 2.10 was from new factory stock. You may be able to check the UEFI version that came from the factory if the UEFI chip has a label on it, it will be the version number from the factory.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scjconsulting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 12:35pm

Your response makes more sense to me than my own conclusion.  Some of the behavior of the setting of the boot devices did not make any sense to me. 

Why was the motherboard not able to boot either of the Blu-Ray or USB device until after the it was cleared or the BIOS updated?

I'm not worried about the boot drive being other than the SSD because the hard drives were were not initialized or formatted until after Windows 10 was installed.

Edited by scjconsulting - 29 May 2017 at 12:39pm
scjconsulting

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scjconsulting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 2:24am

The box is closed and the system is up and running.

One of the things I wanted to do is go to raid 1 on the 2 2TB data drives.  This is something I have on my older HP system.  Can this be done too?

scjconsulting
Robenger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 9:35am
Yes, the boards allow for RAID 0, 1, 5 and 10 I believe. 
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 10:54am

The box is closed and the system is up and running.

One of the things I wanted to do is go to raid 1 on the 2 2TB data drives.  This is something I have on my older HP system.  Can this be done too?

Did you install Windows with the SATA mode set to RAID? The SATA mode must be set to RAID in order for RAID to work.

If not, changing to RAID mode now may not work, particularly since Windows 10 does not have a built in Ryzen compatible RAID driver that it can install.

You must also install the Ryzen compatible AMD RAID driver and RAIDXpert software. I would highly recommend studying the RAID Installation guide found in the Manual section of your board's Support page, and be sure you are reading the appropriate section, as the manual covers multiple, different AMD systems.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scjconsulting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 11:47am

I only wanted RAID so I could run it on my data disks.  I know that you need identical disks to run RAID and did not want the expense or even needed it to run it on the SSD OS disk.

Originally, I ran RAID 5 over 3 disks on the HP x99 system, but found that arrangement was too slow.  I broke the RAID, installed a 1 TB SSD and put 2 data disks in a RAID 1, which is what I wanted to do here.

It looks like the motherboard won't support both types of disks.

Thanks.

scjconsulting
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 4:27am
i dont know if its possible on your board but i always thought you could run the raid 1 seperate after installing a normal boot drive

software based raid in windows on two new disks ?
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic