ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Installation of AMD AHCI driver

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rinkol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Installation of AMD AHCI driver
    Posted: 29 May 2017 at 6:06am
The default Windows 10 installation installs the Microsoft AHCI drivers. The most recent AMD chipset driver (17.10) includes AHCI drivers, but does not istall them.  I have been able to install AHCI driver for one of the two AMD SATA controllers from Device manager, but am unable to do so for the other (I think it may be that the boot drive is on that controller).

The current Samsung Magician SSD software will not provide certain functionality if the Microsoft drver is installed and recommends that vendor specific drivers be installed.

I've been able to install AMD AHCI drivers on systems with SB950 chipsets, but could use suggestions here. I've avoided the all in 1 driver packages since I they tend not to be up to date.

Thanks
Robert
rinkol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rinkol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 8:29am
I've done a bit of further investigation. It seems that the 17.10 chipset driver does not include a windows 10 AHCI driver (this would be in a WT64A folder). There does appear to be a Windows 8 AHCI driver, but the use of this in recent versions of Windows 10 is reported to cause problems.

Robert
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 10:44am
You have said the 17.10 "chipset driver" but have you checked or used the AMD "All in One" driver package? It's the same version provided with any ASRock AM4 board, so this link is just to the AM4 board I have:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X370%20Killer%20SLIac/index.asp#osW1064

It may be difficult finding the AHCI driver among all the files in this download. I am using RAID mode on my X370 board, so cannot tell you what AHCI driver I have installed, since I obviously have the RAID driver installed.

You seem to be looking for a Windows 10 AM4 AHCI driver for a particular reason. Might that be poor 4K random read and write speed performance on SSDs?

The Windows 10 storahci driver will be installed during the installation, but you should be able to manually update it in Device Manager.

I'm surprised the Magician software is not recommending the Microsoft storahci AHCI driver. It has been used since Windows 8, and seems to simply be a rename of the older msahci AHCI driver. In the past, the Magician software did not support the AMD AHCI driver until recently. Of course, AMD has multiple AHCI drivers for at least three different chipset now. That sounds like typical excuses from Samsung about problems with the Magician software.
rinkol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rinkol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 9:49pm
The Samsung Magician recommendation to install a vendor specific AHCI driver was my main motivation - it seemed reasonable enough and I was confused by the published descriptions of the chipset driver packages indicating that they contained AHCI drivers (they do, but not at the present time for Windows 10). I don't think the all in one driver packages are any different.

One thing I would like to see in driver software is a clear indication of what is and what is NOT being installed.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 10:42pm
What functionality is not being provided if the Microsoft AHCI driver is installed? That is strange and if really true, a change from the past. This is from the Magician software 2.0 installation guide:

I imagine you've been talking with Samsung support about some problem, and they told you to use the AMD AHCI driver. The Magician software has had problems with the AMD AHCI drivers in the past, and now they want you to use them?

GenesisDoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenesisDoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 4:14am
In the AMD chipset all in one package, I installed the AHCI drivers (updated in device manager over Microsoft 2006 ones). They only have it for Windows 8 / Windows 7 but my 4K scores went up slightly after using the AMD. Default Microsoft I get 40 MB/s read for 4K with my Samsung 960 EVO but now it's at 60 MB/s read.
Taichi X370, Ryzen 1700 @ 4ghz, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ Ram, Samsung 960 EVO nvme, Intel 600P nvme, 2TB Seagate HDD, 2TB Hitachi HDD, 1TB Mushkin SSD, GTX 1080
rinkol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rinkol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 9:41am
I've seen a possibly anecdotal report of problems with the Windows 8 driver when used in the recent versions of Windows 10. Aside from the issue of Samsung Magician limiting functionality, I haven't really had any problems with the Microsoft drivers.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 10:25am
Originally posted by GenesisDoes GenesisDoes wrote:

In the AMD chipset all in one package, I installed the AHCI drivers (updated in device manager over Microsoft 2006 ones). They only have it for Windows 8 / Windows 7 but my 4K scores went up slightly after using the AMD. Default Microsoft I get 40 MB/s read for 4K with my Samsung 960 EVO but now it's at 60 MB/s read.

The Samsung 960 EVO, being an NVMe SSD, does not use the SATA AHCI driver. It uses either the Microsoft NVMe driver, or Samsung's NVMe driver. You'll find an entry in Device Manager under Storage Controllers for the NVMe controller,  showing the NVMe driver that is installed. NVMe and SATA are two different, non-interchangeable protocols.

The NVMe controller chip is part of the 960 EVO itself, while the SATA controller is part of the system's chipset, whether external like Intel's and older AMD platforms, or part of the Ryzen SOC, and some Intel SOC type processors.

So it does not make sense that an AHCI driver should affect the performance of an NVMe SSD. Are you sure that something else is not responsible for the increase in the 4K read benchmark result? That same difference from 40MB/s to 60MB/s can be accomplished by using the Windows High Performance Power Plan, or configuring the Minimum processor state entry in the power plan advanced option, and disabling all the CPU power saving options in the UEFI/BIOS.

I have seen a forum post in the OCN SSD forum, Samsung 960 Pro and EVO thread, where the user of a 960 EVO claimed to get an increase in the large file sequential read speed of about 200MB/s after installing a new version of the Intel IRST RAID driver. The difference in the speed could simply be the usual +/- variation common in benchmark results. Now your claim cannot help but make me wonder, but again it really does not make any sense, no offense to you.

An increase of 20MB/s, from 40MB/s to 60 MB/s for 4K random read speed is a 50% increase, which is not small.

GenesisDoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenesisDoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Originally posted by GenesisDoes GenesisDoes wrote:

The Samsung 960 EVO, being an NVMe SSD, does not use the SATA AHCI driver. It uses either the Microsoft NVMe driver, or Samsung's NVMe driver. You'll find an entry in Device Manager under Storage Controllers for the NVMe controller,  showing the NVMe driver that is installed. NVMe and SATA are two different, non-interchangeable protocols.

The NVMe controller chip is part of the 960 EVO itself, while the SATA controller is part of the system's chipset, whether external like Intel's and older AMD platforms, or part of the Ryzen SOC, and some Intel SOC type processors.

So it does not make sense that an AHCI driver should affect the performance of an NVMe SSD. Are you sure that something else is not responsible for the increase in the 4K read benchmark result? That same difference from 40MB/s to 60MB/s can be accomplished by using the Windows High Performance Power Plan, or configuring the Minimum processor state entry in the power plan advanced option, and disabling all the CPU power saving options in the UEFI/BIOS.

I have seen a forum post in the OCN SSD forum, Samsung 960 Pro and EVO thread, where the user of a 960 EVO claimed to get an increase in the large file sequential read speed of about 200MB/s after installing a new version of the Intel IRST RAID driver. The difference in the speed could simply be the usual +/- variation common in benchmark results. Now your claim cannot help but make me wonder, but again it really does not make any sense, no offense to you.

An increase of 20MB/s, from 40MB/s to 60 MB/s for 4K random read speed is a 50% increase, which is not small.

No, the only thing that's different is installing the AHCI Windows 8 driver. Although I did the previous tests under 2.30 Bios and previous Bios releases and the latest tests under Beta 2.34. No power plan changes, whereas before I would get 40-45 MB/s in the 4K read, now I'm getting 55-60 MB/s in the 4K read.

Edited by GenesisDoes - 30 May 2017 at 1:01pm
Taichi X370, Ryzen 1700 @ 4ghz, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ Ram, Samsung 960 EVO nvme, Intel 600P nvme, 2TB Seagate HDD, 2TB Hitachi HDD, 1TB Mushkin SSD, GTX 1080
Spectre73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spectre73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 10:29pm
I am in the same situation.

There are 3 different SATA controllers on the x370 Taichi.

They are, as far as I understand it, like this:

Vendor_ID        Device_ID         Type
1B21                0612                ASMedia SATA Controller 106x
1022                7901                AMD SATA Controller (derived from the x370 chipset)
1022                43B5                AMD SATA Controller (derived from the Ryzen CPU)

The ASMedia Controller can be installed with a standard ASMedia driver downloaded from the internet.

The x370 chipset controller can be installed by pointing the driver installer from device manager to the AMD 17.10 chipset driver directory. The driver will then install itself as "AMD SATA Controller".

I have no idea, if both of these controller work with the mentioned drivers. They install flawlessly, but I have no actual device connected to them.

Up until now I was not able to find a driver for the - arguably - most important SATA device, the Ryzen derived one.

That device is responsible for the SATA ports 1 and 2 and is the device I connected my 850 EVO to.

So if anyone knows of an appropriate driver for the CPU SATA controller (if my assumption is correct) I would be grateful.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic