ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K6 - Won't Power Up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
wmaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K6 - Won't Power Up
    Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 10:46pm
Thanks for all your suggestions. Unfortunately none of the above worked.
I've sent the board back and requested a refund. 
Skylinestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylinestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 7:41pm
I have a similar case:
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2373&KW=&title=debug-code-d

Please update BIOS to the latest version.
- ASrock Z170 Fatal1ty Gaming K6 (BIOS v2.10)
- Intel Core i5 6500 (stock)
- Corsair Vengeance LPX 4GBx2 (CMK8GX4M2A2666C16R) (2133 stock)
- Crucial M4 128GB SSD (CT128M4SSD2)
- Corsair GS700 PSU
wmaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 3:27pm
Thanks for your prompt reply.

This board is brand new I've got on Friday, 31th May.

I have downloaded the PDF manual, double checked the case plugs, used an independent 2 pin plug as well, shorted the power pins on the board - none of this works.

Also the board won't power on either using the Power Button located on the motherboard, unless I clear the CMOS first.

The case switch works OK as it powers up a ASRock ep2c602 board without any problems for ex.

The board won't start no matter how it was turned off - OS shutdown or from PSU.

Problem is not OS related - same on Windows and Ubuntu for ex, same issue w/o running OS.

BIOS has been updated to the latest version 2.0

The case is a Thermaltake Urban S71 (had the EP2C602 server board in it which worked just fine).

During trouble shooting I have removed all external devices and SSD's. Without an OS the only way to power it down is either from the PSU or by long pressing the power button (won't work).

Default values have been loaded and used in BIOS.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 10:22am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

First thing I would check are the connections from the PC case power switch to the system panel header, using the full manual as a reference, you can download it from the boards download page:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20Z270%20Gaming%20K6/index.asp#Manual

Be sure the polarity of the power switch wires are correct to their pins on the system panel header.

This ^^
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 9:54am
Originally posted by wmaker wmaker wrote:

Hello,

Every time I turn off my computer I can't power it on unless I clear CMOS (using jumper). Neither pressing the chassis power button or the on board switch won't do anything.

After I clear the CMOS I can power it on by using either the on-board button or the chassis switch. Once the board powered it can ONLY be turned off either from the OS or by shutting down the PSU.

Long press won't do anything (on both board button and chassis switch). Reset works OK.

What I have tried so far:

1. Removed the CMOS battery.
2. Replaced the CMOS battery.
3. Replaced the CPU.
4. Replaced the RAM.
5. Disconnected all peripherals (keyboard, mouse, display etc)
6. Tried with 3 different brand new PSU's (2 EVGA and 1 Corsair). Same result.

Does anyone has some suggestions? I'm really tired clearing the CMOS every time I want to use my computer. If I can't figure this out most likely will send the board back.

Very strange, I have the same board and never had anything like that happen.

This PC has acted this way since the first time you started it?

First thing I would check are the connections from the PC case power switch to the system panel header, using the full manual as a reference, you can download it from the boards download page:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20Z270%20Gaming%20K6/index.asp#Manual

Be sure the polarity of the power switch wires are correct to their pins on the system panel header.

When you turn off the PC, and then cannot turn it on again in the normal way, how did you turn it off, a standard Windows shutdown?

A new installation of Windows (??) for that PC? Basic drivers installed, INF files, IME software, etc?

UEFI/BIOS version being used?

The PC case was new or from a previous build? No chance of mother board standoffs from a previous build or pre-installed, shorting the bottom of the board?

Why would you need to shutdown the PC by holding the power button down? So you "turn off" a booted, running OS, by just suddenly shutting off the PSU?

The proper way to completely turn off a PC is to run a shutdown command from the OS, and then turn off the PSU switch, if you need to remove power from the board for some reason. Suddenly removing power to a running PC by simply turning off the PSU may corrupt the OS installation, and might leave the board in a confused state regarding its shutdown status.

Have you changed some settings in the UEFI/BIOS, like the Deep Sleep option? Very strange that clearing the CMOS allows you to start the PC normally, but if you are turning off the PC in other ways besides running a shutdown command, who knows what power state it is left in.

I'd say it sounds like the board has a problem, but your description of using the long press of the power button to shutdown the PC, or shutting off power to the PSU while the OS is running makes me wonder why you would do it that way.
wmaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 6:56am
Hello,

Every time I turn off my computer I can't power it on unless I clear CMOS (using jumper). Neither pressing the chassis power button or the on board switch won't do anything.

After I clear the CMOS I can power it on by using either the on-board button or the chassis switch. Once the board powered it can ONLY be turned off either from the OS or by shutting down the PSU.

Long press won't do anything (on both board button and chassis switch). Reset works OK.

What I have tried so far:

1. Removed the CMOS battery.
2. Replaced the CMOS battery.
3. Replaced the CPU.
4. Replaced the RAM.
5. Disconnected all peripherals (keyboard, mouse, display etc)
6. Tried with 3 different brand new PSU's (2 EVGA and 1 Corsair). Same result.

Does anyone has some suggestions? I'm really tired clearing the CMOS every time I want to use my computer. If I can't figure this out most likely will send the board back.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic