ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Taichi and 1700X

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 8:42pm
bios version v2.40 is out today
that should help with the memory

im just testing overclocking settings now
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Ken429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 7:53pm
I tried leaving the OC at 38 and dropping the Memory speed to default and everything works OK. Meaning it boots to the first BIOS screen in ~9 seconds and Restart to UEFI works too.

Just in case you want to know the effect of the slower memory speed on my test transcode to MP4, the time went from ~64 minutes (2933) to ~66 minutes (2133). Not as bad as all the memory posts would have me believing but they are more game oriented not just brute computing.

Edited by Ken429 - 11 Jun 2017 at 6:11pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Ken429 Ken429 wrote:

[URL=][/URL][URL=][/URL]parsec,

Thanks for the information and I guess agreement that that is the way AMD and Ryzen operate. I'm a long time Intel fan but could not resist the 16 threads for transcoding stuff.

The ~19 seconds I was quoting varies by +3 seconds depending on the "time of day" or how the system feels at the time! When I look at the Task Manger "Last BIOS" time" is says pretty consistently 14.3 seconds. The ~19+ that I was quoting was according to my watch and counting 1 second, 2 seconds, etc. Not very official but close to the actual time it takes from when I hit the Power Button until the first BIOS screen appears - meaning the one that shows the option to enter the BIOS etc.

The one thing that I may have screwed up on the W10 fresh installation on a brand new SSD was I ended up with an MBR file structure on the Samsung 960. In the past I've always cloned a new SSD and/or formatted it as GPT prior to installing Windows. I did not think this was a problem, is it? If so I can reinstall W10 and force a GPT structure.

I do not fully understand "Fast Boot" and have no intention of using it.

But...are you saying that the reason the ASRock "Restart to UEFI" program is not working for me on this machine is because the boot drive is formatted as MBR? If that's the case I'll happily reinstall W10.

Sorry, I did not read your post close enough, I will try down clocking the EVGA 3000 memory to the default 2400 setting and see if that helps the ASRock "Restart to UEFI". I will also return the BIOS settings to the Defaults and see if that is where my original ~9 seconds came from.

No, it's not MBR partitioning that causes Restart to UEFI (RtU) to fail. I have my 960 EVO GPT partitioned, and Restart to UEFI fails when my memory is over clocked.

You said in a post after the one I quoted that after a UEFI/BIOS reset, that RtU worked. Isn't that with your memory at default/stock speed? It did work, I just checked your other post.

If RtU works with your memory over clocked (anything over 2667), great! I did not test RtU with the latest UEFI version for my AM4 board, but with other versions it is ignored, and Windows just boots after running RtU. First PC it has ever failed working with. I use RtU all the time, since it is such a convenience, there should be a button on the board or IO panel to do the same thing.

Forgot to explain the Fast Boot option. It really is "fast POST", meaning it reduces the POST time. That can have side affects. A PC's startup time is POST time plus Windows loading and running time. "Boot" time generally means both together, but really refers to loading the OS.

My 19 second BIOS time is caused by using AMD's RAID, which adds a few seconds to POST.

With CSM enabled, the UEFI firmware in our boards runs in emulated legacy BIOS mode, from 1998. 16 bit addressing and only 1MB of DRAM available, which today is a joke. But we are held back by legacy hardware still being used, since it is not UEFI compatible. I've been UEFI booting since my ASRock Z77 Extreme4 board, with Windows 8, using SATA SSDs.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 4:52am
im assuming the extra time is the bios trying to set the faster ram speed

eg stock ddr4 speed and settings it'll just start to boot due to knowing it safe settings but when setting the ram overclock its checking to make sure its going to boot safely
and thus the extra time

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Ken429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 4:35am
[URL=][/URL]parsec,

Ok, I'm not crazy. I put everything in the BIOS back to the defaults including the memory and I'm back to ~9 seconds to go from pushing the power button to the first BIOS post screen! The ASRock "Restart to the UEFI" also works as advertised.

So...wait for ASRock/AMD to fix whatever is going on when the memory is running at Profile 1 speeds (for my EVGA 3000 > 2933)? Curious and lazy, if I leave the memory at default and up the multiplier does the problem(s) 20 seconds to post and Restart to UEFI restart to Windows come back? In other words is there a cut off point for memory speed and OC'ing that I can go to before the issues return?

By the way Task Manager still shows Last BIOS time: 14.3 seconds??

Edited by Ken429 - 09 Jun 2017 at 4:36am
Optik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Optik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 2:18am
Ryzen need longer to post than other CPUs, that's normal. I'm happy that my system running very smooth and stable. Maybe 10sec and I can login into win10.
Taichi X370
AMD R7 1700X
Arctic Liquid FreeZer 240
G.Skill Flare X 3200 cl 14@2933
PowerColer RX480
Phanteks EnTHoo Luxe
BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 11 550W
Ken429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 1:43am
[URL=][/URL][URL=][/URL]parsec,

Thanks for the information and I guess agreement that that is the way AMD and Ryzen operate. I'm a long time Intel fan but could not resist the 16 threads for transcoding stuff.

The ~19 seconds I was quoting varies by +3 seconds depending on the "time of day" or how the system feels at the time! When I look at the Task Manger "Last BIOS" time" is says pretty consistently 14.3 seconds. The ~19+ that I was quoting was according to my watch and counting 1 second, 2 seconds, etc. Not very official but close to the actual time it takes from when I hit the Power Button until the first BIOS screen appears - meaning the one that shows the option to enter the BIOS etc.

The one thing that I may have screwed up on the W10 fresh installation on a brand new SSD was I ended up with an MBR file structure on the Samsung 960. In the past I've always cloned a new SSD and/or formatted it as GPT prior to installing Windows. I did not think this was a problem, is it? If so I can reinstall W10 and force a GPT structure.

I do not fully understand "Fast Boot" and have no intention of using it.

But...are you saying that the reason the ASRock "Restart to UEFI" program is not working for me on this machine is because the boot drive is formatted as MBR? If that's the case I'll happily reinstall W10.

Sorry, I did not read your post close enough, I will try down clocking the EVGA 3000 memory to the default 2400 setting and see if that helps the ASRock "Restart to UEFI". I will also return the BIOS settings to the Defaults and see if that is where my original ~9 seconds came from.

Edited by Ken429 - 09 Jun 2017 at 2:01am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by Ken429 Ken429 wrote:

I just assembled my first AMD based system! It consists of:
X370 Taichi MB BIOS Version 230
X1700 Ryzen Processor running at 3.8GHz
EVGA Memory 2X8GB DDR4 3000 1.35V Cas Latency 15
MSI GTX 560 TI Video Adapter
MasterLiquid Pro 280 AOI
Samsung 250GB 960 EVO NVMe M.2 Boot Device
Crucial 500 GB MX200
Seasonic 760XP Power Supply
Corsair 750D Case
Windows 10 Pro ver. 1703

I'm almost a very happy camper. The AMD system transcodes a test BluRay to MP4 in 41% less time than a 4790K running @ 4.6GHz. That's about what I expected based upon all the benchmark stuff on the internet.

Several things still aren't quite right:

ASRock's "Restart to UEFI" does not work - it boots right back to W10.

The Z97 Extreme/4790K system with the Samsung 960 EVO NVMe device boots to the Post Screen in ~6 seconds. The X370 Taichi/1700X system takes ~9 seconds to boot to the Post Screen. Both systems have the Samsung device in the Ultra M.2 slot. It almost seems like the Taichi BIOS is having trouble with something. I'm about ready to make an "old" Sandisk SSD the boot drive!

The CPU temperature is a bit of mystery - under full load on all threads for an extended period HWInfo64 says the maximum temperatures reached were 77.6 (Tctl) and 57.6 (Tcle) (the 20C anomaly?). Seems pretty low considering the CPU is clocked at 38 and using a Vcore of 1.28V. Either I have a very good chip or I'm not understanding what is going on. Most of the people posting on the Internet are using much higher voltages to get to 3.8GHz. This thing is very stable and seems like it wants to go faster @ 1.28V? I haven't spent much time trying to find what Vcore setting is the minimum for 3.8GHz but I've gone from 1.36V to 1.30V and now 1.28V and the CPU temperatures, if I can believe them, don't change that much?!

The 19 second POST time sounds like you are checking the Task Manager Startup tab "Last BIOS time". If that is right, that is exactly what I get with my ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac board with a 1700X. Completely normal so far with Ryzen.

Ryzen POST time is slow compared to an Intel system. As datonyb said, you can disable AMD Advanced Boot Training to speed up POST time, but in some cases your memory may not be able to reach high speeds with that option disabled. Ryzen does not support a memory speed of 3000, so what is your memory at now, 2933?

Using the Ultra Fast setting of Fast Boot won't change the POST time very much. I use it and the difference is only a few seconds. You'll get a shorter startup time just disabling AMD Advanced Boot Training. It won't get the startup time down to Intel levels, but it is improved. Don't forget this is all POST time, nothing to do with Windows booting. Z97 boards have very short POST times for some reason, shorter than Z170. That might be due to the change in using the chipset resources for the M.2 slots in Z170, instead of the CPU's PCIe lanes in Z97. Ryzen is using the CPU's PCIe lanes for any M.2 slots that are PCIe 3.0 x4. The M2_2 slot on the X370 Taichi is PCIe 2.0 x4 through the chipset.

Personally, using a 960 EVO as the OS drive, once I hear the single POST Ok beep, the OS boots almost as fast as an Intel PC, I don't see any spinning dots when Windows is starting. That of course is from a cold boot, when the Win 10 fast startup feature is active. It takes a little longer on a restart, but not terrible. Ryzen's small file 4K read performance is not as good as Intel's so far, it suffers if any CPU power saving features are active. The same it true for Intel PCs, but so far Ryzen is a bit slower under the same circumstances.

POST time on Intel board's like a Z170 were known to be slower when using NVMe SSDs as the OS drive. Z270 PC are faster for some reason. Windows boot time has clearly hit a wall, since it is not much faster with NVMe SSDs than SATA SSDs.

You are not understanding what you must do to use the Ultra Fast setting, and how to get into the UEFI/BIOS when you use it.

Your Windows installation must be full UEFI booting, with CSM disabled or at least the Launch Storage OpROM Policy option set to UEFI Only, with CSM enabled. That needs to be done when you install Windows, and will not work with Windows 7. You use Win 10, so that is not an issue.

When you install Windows, you must select in the boot order the entry for the Windows installation media the entry that is, "UEFI: <device name>", which signals the Windows installer to partition the OS drive as GPT, and creates four partitions.

When using the Ultra Fast setting, you must use the ASRock Restart to UEFI program that you run in Windows. Otherwise you cannot get into the UEFI/BIOS the usual ways. I've had problems with this program for the first time on my Ryzen PC, it fails to work with a memory OC for some reason. Always works perfectly with my Intel PCs, been using it for years. You have the same problem I see. Restart to UEFI actually uses a feature added to Windows starting with Win 8, that restarts the PC right into the UEFI/BIOS interface. Why it fails with Ryzen, I don't know.

The two CPU temperatures you see, Tctl and Tdie are programmed into a Ryzen processor by AMD. You are correct the difference (offset) is exactly 20° C. The point of those two temperatures, according to AMD, is apparently to control the stock AM4 CPU cooler's fan speed, given the differences between eight core Ryzen 7 processors, and Ryzen 5 processors. Tdie is the correct temperature to monitor with a Ryzen 7 CPU.

3.8GHz is not a high OC, as I'm sure you know. Normally the VCore needs increase above 3.8GHz. But it seems you have a good CPU.

datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 10:30pm
x370 taichi (bios version 2.0)
r7 1700 (non X ) OVERCLOCKED IN P STATES TO 3.9 GHZ all cores voltage set at fixed 1.306v (in p states) LLC set at level 2
SOC voltage set at 1.0v LLC for soc ,set fixed at level 2
m2 nvme sansung evo 960 as boot drive
sata 3 ssd samsung evo 850 as data/games drives
2 x 8gb tridentz ram running at 3200 mhtz from day one
amd boot training turned OFF

to be honest i dont find the boot time an issue  its circa 5-10 seconds to windows log in screen
its quite fine for me it gives me time to hit the del key if i want to go into bios or sit down and place my ciggies on desk before log in screen

Ken429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 7:59pm
Dogmifier,

I am able to enter the BIOS? AND I want to be able to do that since I'm still playing with the multiplier and Vcore looking to see what this thing will do. I don't know if 3800 MHz at 1.28125V is good or not. Still looking for some input from others with this processor and possibly M/B.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic