ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Taichi and 1700X

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 1:43am
[URL=][/URL][URL=][/URL]parsec,

Thanks for the information and I guess agreement that that is the way AMD and Ryzen operate. I'm a long time Intel fan but could not resist the 16 threads for transcoding stuff.

The ~19 seconds I was quoting varies by +3 seconds depending on the "time of day" or how the system feels at the time! When I look at the Task Manger "Last BIOS" time" is says pretty consistently 14.3 seconds. The ~19+ that I was quoting was according to my watch and counting 1 second, 2 seconds, etc. Not very official but close to the actual time it takes from when I hit the Power Button until the first BIOS screen appears - meaning the one that shows the option to enter the BIOS etc.

The one thing that I may have screwed up on the W10 fresh installation on a brand new SSD was I ended up with an MBR file structure on the Samsung 960. In the past I've always cloned a new SSD and/or formatted it as GPT prior to installing Windows. I did not think this was a problem, is it? If so I can reinstall W10 and force a GPT structure.

I do not fully understand "Fast Boot" and have no intention of using it.

But...are you saying that the reason the ASRock "Restart to UEFI" program is not working for me on this machine is because the boot drive is formatted as MBR? If that's the case I'll happily reinstall W10.

Sorry, I did not read your post close enough, I will try down clocking the EVGA 3000 memory to the default 2400 setting and see if that helps the ASRock "Restart to UEFI". I will also return the BIOS settings to the Defaults and see if that is where my original ~9 seconds came from.

Edited by Ken429 - 09 Jun 2017 at 2:01am
Optik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Optik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 2:18am
Ryzen need longer to post than other CPUs, that's normal. I'm happy that my system running very smooth and stable. Maybe 10sec and I can login into win10.
Taichi X370
AMD R7 1700X
Arctic Liquid FreeZer 240
G.Skill Flare X 3200 cl 14@2933
PowerColer RX480
Phanteks EnTHoo Luxe
BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 11 550W
Ken429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 4:35am
[URL=][/URL]parsec,

Ok, I'm not crazy. I put everything in the BIOS back to the defaults including the memory and I'm back to ~9 seconds to go from pushing the power button to the first BIOS post screen! The ASRock "Restart to the UEFI" also works as advertised.

So...wait for ASRock/AMD to fix whatever is going on when the memory is running at Profile 1 speeds (for my EVGA 3000 > 2933)? Curious and lazy, if I leave the memory at default and up the multiplier does the problem(s) 20 seconds to post and Restart to UEFI restart to Windows come back? In other words is there a cut off point for memory speed and OC'ing that I can go to before the issues return?

By the way Task Manager still shows Last BIOS time: 14.3 seconds??

Edited by Ken429 - 09 Jun 2017 at 4:36am
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 4:52am
im assuming the extra time is the bios trying to set the faster ram speed

eg stock ddr4 speed and settings it'll just start to boot due to knowing it safe settings but when setting the ram overclock its checking to make sure its going to boot safely
and thus the extra time
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Ken429 Ken429 wrote:

[URL=][/URL][URL=][/URL]parsec,

Thanks for the information and I guess agreement that that is the way AMD and Ryzen operate. I'm a long time Intel fan but could not resist the 16 threads for transcoding stuff.

The ~19 seconds I was quoting varies by +3 seconds depending on the "time of day" or how the system feels at the time! When I look at the Task Manger "Last BIOS" time" is says pretty consistently 14.3 seconds. The ~19+ that I was quoting was according to my watch and counting 1 second, 2 seconds, etc. Not very official but close to the actual time it takes from when I hit the Power Button until the first BIOS screen appears - meaning the one that shows the option to enter the BIOS etc.

The one thing that I may have screwed up on the W10 fresh installation on a brand new SSD was I ended up with an MBR file structure on the Samsung 960. In the past I've always cloned a new SSD and/or formatted it as GPT prior to installing Windows. I did not think this was a problem, is it? If so I can reinstall W10 and force a GPT structure.

I do not fully understand "Fast Boot" and have no intention of using it.

But...are you saying that the reason the ASRock "Restart to UEFI" program is not working for me on this machine is because the boot drive is formatted as MBR? If that's the case I'll happily reinstall W10.

Sorry, I did not read your post close enough, I will try down clocking the EVGA 3000 memory to the default 2400 setting and see if that helps the ASRock "Restart to UEFI". I will also return the BIOS settings to the Defaults and see if that is where my original ~9 seconds came from.

No, it's not MBR partitioning that causes Restart to UEFI (RtU) to fail. I have my 960 EVO GPT partitioned, and Restart to UEFI fails when my memory is over clocked.

You said in a post after the one I quoted that after a UEFI/BIOS reset, that RtU worked. Isn't that with your memory at default/stock speed? It did work, I just checked your other post.

If RtU works with your memory over clocked (anything over 2667), great! I did not test RtU with the latest UEFI version for my AM4 board, but with other versions it is ignored, and Windows just boots after running RtU. First PC it has ever failed working with. I use RtU all the time, since it is such a convenience, there should be a button on the board or IO panel to do the same thing.

Forgot to explain the Fast Boot option. It really is "fast POST", meaning it reduces the POST time. That can have side affects. A PC's startup time is POST time plus Windows loading and running time. "Boot" time generally means both together, but really refers to loading the OS.

My 19 second BIOS time is caused by using AMD's RAID, which adds a few seconds to POST.

With CSM enabled, the UEFI firmware in our boards runs in emulated legacy BIOS mode, from 1998. 16 bit addressing and only 1MB of DRAM available, which today is a joke. But we are held back by legacy hardware still being used, since it is not UEFI compatible. I've been UEFI booting since my ASRock Z77 Extreme4 board, with Windows 8, using SATA SSDs.
Ken429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 7:53pm
I tried leaving the OC at 38 and dropping the Memory speed to default and everything works OK. Meaning it boots to the first BIOS screen in ~9 seconds and Restart to UEFI works too.

Just in case you want to know the effect of the slower memory speed on my test transcode to MP4, the time went from ~64 minutes (2933) to ~66 minutes (2133). Not as bad as all the memory posts would have me believing but they are more game oriented not just brute computing.

Edited by Ken429 - 11 Jun 2017 at 6:11pm
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 8:42pm
bios version v2.40 is out today
that should help with the memory

im just testing overclocking settings now

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Ken429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 2:42am
Installed BIOS Version 2.40 and cannot find anything that improved. Still takes ~19 seconds to boot and Restart to UEFI does not work. Can somebody give me a clue on what got better?

Are people using the GSkill Memory with the Samsung Chips having the same issue?

One other thing that is a little perplexing - the rated speed of the EVGA 3000 memory is supposed to be CL 15. Yet CPU-Z says it got changed to CL 16. Does that mean that the system does not like the memory @ CL 15?

Edited by Ken429 - 11 Jun 2017 at 6:10pm
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 9:30pm
i too have cl15 ram and it changes the first setting to 16 no matter what i do
even back in bios it still has 15 written but in windows its cl16

if i set the all to 14 it will stay at 14

but then wont COLD boot at cl14
at 3200 cl15 xmp (all be it with one changed to 16) it boots fine and has done on all bios from 1.6 onwards

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by Ken429 Ken429 wrote:

Installed BIOS Version 2.40 and cannot find anything that improved. Still takes ~19 seconds to boot and Restart to UEFI does not work. Can somebody give me a clue on what got better?

Are people using the GSkill Memory with the Samsung Chips having the same issue?

One other thing that is a little perplexing - the rated speed of the EVGA 3000 memory is supposed to be CL 15. Yet CPU-Z says it got changed to CL 16. Does that mean that the system does not like the memory @ CL 15?

The X370 Taichi has the AGESA 1.0.0.6 from AMD that was supposed to help with memory compatibility and speed. The results so far have been mixed, depending upon the memory being used, users report better, worse, or unchanged memory speeds and support. Some people got lucky, others not.

AGESA 1.0.0.6 brings more memory speed and timing options, and other rather unique Ryzen options that remain a mystery to me at this time. But all the options in the world don't help if we don't know what to do with them. For example, the ODT options are frustrating, since I've never seen an ODT spec for any model of memory.

My X370 Killer SLI/ac board, with 16GB of G.SKILL 3200 FlareX memory (made for Ryzen, Samsung chips) with a new, similar UEFI update, leaves me so far mostly unchanged in memory operation. I'm still at 2933 14 14 14 34 1T (which is not bad), but 3200 still won't work for me, POST fails. I tried the new 3066 speed at 16 16 16 36, but that has poor stability in Windows, browser tabs crashing but not the browser program entirely (never saw that before.) That is with the SOC voltage at 1.2V too. So yes, I have the same type of result.

Restart to UEFI is still failing for me too, when the memory is at 2933. That is strange since that program should be based on a Windows feature introduced in Windows 8, and I've never seen it fail on my many ASRock boards.

What got better may be a factor of our intervention in tuning memory options, so what I call auto-magic improvements (fixes with no effort on our part) again are a matter of luck.

If you set the timing(s) to 15 (not Auto) and it was changed to 16, then yes the system prefers 16. Or it became "trained" to that value. Relaxed timings can cause memory to work at slightly higher speeds. Ryzen does not support a speed of exactly 3000, does 2933 work for you? We do have a 3066 speed option now, I assume that fails for you? 3066 is a slight memory OC for your memory, so if many of us cannot get our memory to run at the rated (but still an OC relative to the Ryzen memory controller spec) OC speed, then a true memory OC will usually be more difficult.

For an experiment, you can try setting all the memory timings to Auto (system selected), and try 2933 or 3066. DRAM Voltage at 1.35V, SoC voltage at 1.2V.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic