ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

z77 extreme4 - D6 error

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: z77 extreme4 - D6 error
    Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 4:48am
Hey,

Yesterday, I started having an issue with my PC after 1.5 years. It shut down after installing a few updates and never rebooted. The fans spins but there is no output to the screen. On inspection, the debug shows an A2 error code and once I took the GPU out, it shows a D6 error.

I have tried:
- Clearing the CMOS via the button and removing the battery
- Removing my extra hard drives and the OS SSD
- Reseat power connectors and CPU
- Connecting to the screen with multiple different inputs - HDMI, VGA and DVI (The screen works with my laptop)

I am using a z77 extreme4 mobo with a i5-3570k CPU and a 8Gb single stick of Corsair RAM

Any ideas or is it best to RMA it?

Thanks in advance,
Zach
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 12:53pm
Do you remember what updates you installed? Was there a BIOS update performed?

When you cleared CMOS by removing the battery, did you disconnect the power cord and press the power button until all lights went off? I also find that when using the battery method it is best to leave the system disconnected without the battery for at least 4 hours, I have seen a few systems fail to clear with shorter durations.

The errors you are getting according to the Z77 Extreme4 manual are

A2 - IDE initialization
D6 - No console output device found

Now you say you received the D6 error when you removed the GPU so that means the board is not enabling the onboard graphics. I suspect your CMOS did not properly clear. Have you tried installing the GPU again and attempting to power up without any drives connected? 
Ryaller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 2:57pm
Morning Xaltar,

They were just normal windows updates from the built-in updater so I highly doubt that they were BIOS related

Yes, I did discharge the PC using the power button but I only took the battery out for about 30 seconds or so

I am already testing the system with no drives connected and still no luck

Cheers,
Zach
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 3:13pm
I imagine you have tried all the usual basic troubleshooting steps like 1 module of RAM in each successive slot, reseating power cables etc?

If no bios update was performed then it may be coincidence that the problem arose after the updates. Could you list your full system specs, asside from the i5 3570k, Z77 Extreme4 and 8gb corsair RAM could you list PSU, GPU and addon cards you may have. 

Most often when problems like this arise they are power related as PSUs have a tendency to degrade over time, even quality ones. The system has been working for a year and a half so we need to check common fail points.
Ryaller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 4:32pm
Exactly, I have moved my stick of RAM around and reseated all of the important cables.

Yeah, I thought the updates were a coincidence too but thought it would be best to state it anyway

I have no addon card but I do have a XFX 7970 GPU and a Corsair CX500M PSU

PS the battery is still out of the motherboard from the time of my last reply
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic