ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x370 taichi WiFi issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 7:10am
Ahhhh........ only WPA, not WPA-2.

Take it/carry it somewhere you know uses WPA-2, enter the UN and PW, and report back please.

I don't have docs available on the included adapter card yet most newer ones are locked to WPA-2 as a minimum. I'm not 100% sure it's WPA2 min. but give it  a try.

Or borrow a friends WPA-2 capable router for an hour or so.

Ken429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 6:41pm
wardog,

I changed the security on the SMC Router to WPA2 and it had no effect. The system tries to connect but fails. The curious thing is I have two Wi-Fi networks - the SMC Router and the Hawking Extender and the Taichi only shows the SMC Router Network.

I just installed the Netgear AC1200 WiFi Adapter on another computer and it sees both my Wi-Fi networks and allows me to sign in and every thing works as advertised. The Netgear USB Adapter also shows all my neighbors Routers/Networks which is more normal!

I'm will install the Netgear USB device on the Taichi and see what happens. Should I turn off the Taichi on-board Radio before trying to install the Netgear Adapter?

Edited by Ken429 - 21 Jun 2017 at 7:00pm
Ken429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 11:30pm
wardog,

For what it's worth, I installed the Netgear USB3 Adapter on the Taichi system and it connected to the SMC router with no issues. So...it appears there is one more bug for ASRock to work out on the Taichi Hardware/BIOS!

The one thing that was slightly different between signing on to the Hawking Range Extender and the SMC Router was Windows wanted a Password to connect via the Hawking and the 8 digit Pin Number to connect to the SMC Router.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 12:02am
Originally posted by Ken429 Ken429 wrote:

The curious thing is I have two Wi-Fi networks - the SMC Router and the Hawking Extender

I asked of complexity, yet are these two, the Netgear and Hawking, on the same subnet? Too, the latest Netgear driver(s) being used for the adapter? And installed correctly? Some req drivers be installed first before plugging the adapter in for the first time.

Pardon me for the seemingly stupid questions. Yet they need ask/answered so that I, here, have the best and through understanding. I'd rathe diagnose an OC over the internet than these types of issues. I trust you understand.

What's the model # of the Netgear adapter and Hawking extender?

Latest FW installed on the Hawking also?

Reinvented View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinvented Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 1:20pm
Hi,

I don't have any problems with my WiFi card, but then again I do have a newer router than you.

The included WiFi module is Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168.  The latest drivers can be found on Intel's website which is dated as 3/28/17 according to the driver properties.

Update to the latest drivers, and try again.  
Ken429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 4:33pm

I downloaded and installed the Wan driver from the X370 Taichi Web Site and then let Windows Update to the latest driver which is: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168 #2 Driver Intel 3/28/17 19.51.0.4.

That's what I did day one - my first post on this thread. It's good to know that the Wi-Fi built into the TaiChi M/B works for someone. I am almost beginning to think I have a defective M/B. Since every other device I or a visitor has used in this house shows a bunch of Routers in the neighborhood. The Taichi only shows the SMC Router!

What Brand and Model of Router are you using?
Ken429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by wardog,<br />I asked of complexity, yet are these two, the Netgear and Hawking, on the same subnet? Too, the latest Netgear driver(s) being used for the adapter? And installed correctly? Some req drivers be installed <strong>first</strong> before plugging the adapter in for the first time.<br /><br />Pardon me for the seemingly stupid questions. Yet they need ask/answered so that I, here, have the best and through understanding. I'd rathe diagnose an OC over the internet than these types of issues. I trust you understand.<br /><br />What's the model # of the Netgear adapter and Hawking extender?<br /><br />Latest FW installed on the Hawking also?<br />[/QUOTE wardog,
I asked of complexity, yet are these two, the Netgear and Hawking, on the same subnet? Too, the latest Netgear driver(s) being used for the adapter? And installed correctly? Some req drivers be installed first before plugging the adapter in for the first time.

Pardon me for the seemingly stupid questions. Yet they need ask/answered so that I, here, have the best and through understanding. I'd rathe diagnose an OC over the internet than these types of issues. I trust you understand.

What's the model # of the Netgear adapter and Hawking extender?

Latest FW installed on the Hawking also?
[/QUOTE wrote:

I am not into networking details - all I know is when I initially set up the Cable Modem, SMC Router and Hawking Access Point everything worked and I have left it alone for several years. The only change I have made is the WPA to WPA2 for added security at your suggestion.

Anyway, the Hawing is Model HWABN2 Hi-Grain Wireless 300N Access Point/Bridge Pro.

It is connected to a TL-Link TL-SG1016 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch.

The Netgear Toggle is a Netgear Ac1200 (A6210) WiFi USB Adapter 802.11 ac Dual Band USB3.0. I used the Drivers for the Netgear from the install disk. The install disk was labeled Resource

I am not into networking details - all I know is when I initially set up the Cable Modem, SMC Router and Hawking Access Point everything worked and I have left it alone for several years. The only change I have made is the WPA to WPA2 for added security at your suggestion.

Anyway, the Hawing is Model HWABN2 Hi-Grain Wireless 300N Access Point/Bridge Pro.

It is connected to a TL-Link TL-SG1016 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch.

The Netgear Toggle is a Netgear Ac1200 (A6210) WiFi USB Adapter 802.11 ac Dual Band USB3.0. I used the Drivers for the Netgear from the install disk. The install disk was labeled Resource CD Version 1.4. I downloaded the latest drivers from Netgear but have not installed them since it works as it is.

As far as Subnets and Firmware Versions I don't have a clue. When it comes to the Networking stuff - I have gone with the old If It Ain't Broke...

I don't know if any of this information helps resolve the problem but I am back using Ethernet on the Taichi and probably will never use the built in Taichi WiFi. I did not realize the Taichi M/B had on-board WiFI when I bought it. It was a bonus I discovered when I was setting it up!

However, I'm beginning to think I have a defective M/B. Maybe some rainy day I'll go buy a $300 Router and see if the Taichi M/B radio will act like all the other devices that work on the current WiFi hardware.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 9:17pm

Maybe some rainy day I'll go buy a $300 Router and see if the Taichi M/B radio will act like all the other devices that work on the current WiFi hardware.

That makes sense ........... NOT Tongue

Hold yer horses back some and know knowing the models you have give me some time to look into them, 'k?
Reinvented View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Reinvented Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 6:09am
Possibly defective wifi module =/= defective motherboard.  Let's just get that out of the way right now.

If you cannot connect, you need to make sure that you have enough IP addresses to be able to assign to the adapter as well.  

You also have to be prepared and understand that not everything is compatible with older hardware.  It may require you get a new router as certain protocols might not work properly with the newer adapter.  IE older wireless N that either supports 20 or 40 Hz channel width vs newer wireless AC which supports 80 Hz.  It's also a possibility that your wireless AP is broadcasting on a channel that the adapter doesn't work with either.  

These are all things to keep in mind, before blaming the motherboard.  And I highly doubt your wireless module is defective at this point still.  Find another cheaper router to use that's updated, and see if that fixes your problem.  I can guarantee that it's the culprit. 
Ken429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 4:50pm
Reinvented,

Like I have said several times above, everything else I use or that other people use that visit their wireless devices work with no issues on the network. Most of them connect to the Hawking Access Point but I have used the SMC for various Laptops and a Cannon MX870 Printer that is connected all the time.

The Hawking Access Point is relatively new so it should have all the unknow magic you refer to.

So I have one system the Taichi that will not connect to the SMC Router and it does NOT see any other networks in my house (Hawking) or any of my neighbors Routers.

I have two Amazon Kindle Fire Tablets, a Samsung Smart Phone, a brand new Netgear AC1200 USB3.0 Adapter and various IPhones, IPads and IPods that all work on the existing network and all see the various Routers available in the neighborhood!

But...maybe you're right and the Taichi needs some magic that is contained in some yet unnamed Router to make it come to life and see the Wireless world around it. Like I said above, I tend to run all the computers in my home network on Gigabit Ethernet so even though the Taichi is causing me heartburn when trying to use the onboard wireless chip it is happy running on the Ethernet configuration. Even if it is possibly a M/B defect I'll probably not replace it unless I get the urge for pain on some rainy day!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic