ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AB350M Pro4: Ultra M.2 Slot not working-960Evo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 11:26am
Originally posted by makrm makrm wrote:

Hi, I can see if I can try my SSD in my friend's motherboard, however I am really considering returning the mobo as well. I was just told by support I should return the mobo AND the ssd, but that will mean return shipping costs, restocking fees, and I will have to wait a lot longer for my new parts. Thanks for all your help John. 

Don't bother returning the SSD yet. If possible, try the 960 EVO on your friend's board.

The 960 EVO is an NVMe SSD, not SATA. I have two of them. I have an ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac board, and mine is recognized in the Storage Configuration screen fine. An NVMe SSD will not be recognized in an M.2 slot for SATA M.2 SSDs only.

You should have the 960 EVO recognized in the UEFI/BIOS, without a Window installation, or without loading an NVMe driver. The Windows 10 installer should see it without any problem. I've even tried my 960 EVO in an M.2 to PCIe adapter card, mounted in a PCIe slot. In this configuration, it will NOT be recognized in the UEFI, but is shown in the Boot order, and boots Windows 10 fine. You do not need to install an NVMe driver during the Windows installation.

You could try configuring the CSM option in the Boot screen as follows, to see if this helps with it being recognized:

With CSM enabled, set the CSM sub-option, Launch Storage OpROM Policy to UEFI Only.

Or set CSM to Disabled.

In both methods, you must Save and Exit the UEFI before the settings will take affect. Go right back into the UEFI and see if the 960 EVO is recognized.

Also, with any Windows 10 installation media, check the boot order for the installation device, and be sure to select the entry with this format: "UEFI: <device name>". The "UEFI:" entry may not be the first entry in the boot order, and is required for NVMe SSDs like the 960 EVO. But again, this is not related to your SSD recognition problem.

Frankly, this is not the only ASRock Ryzen board that has had problems recognizing M.2 SSDs. My Ryzen board has never had this problem. It seems that certain production runs of boards have this issue. If you get the same board from the same retailer or source, chances are it will be from the same production run. Was your friends first board from the same retailer?
makrm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 1:24am
Sorry for the late reply, but I did try disabling the CSM, and having CSM enabled with the UEFI only mode. Also, my friend's board was from the same retailer, and purchased around the same time. Unfortunately, I cannot return the board without additional fees, otherwise I would purchase from another retailer. It is very upsetting that there are such quality control issues with these motherboards as they are one of the few motherboards with two m.2 slots at the price range. 

To add to that last point, my friend's new board has only one m.2 slot which is used for his boot ssd (same ssd I have that isn't working) so I don't believe I will be able to test mine in his. If I can return the board and the restocking fees and return shipping fees aren't too much, I will buy from a different seller. But as of now, it seems I may have to just exchange with another board from the same seller, and I am worried it will have the same issue... This is very upsetting, :(
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic