ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AB350M Pro4: Ultra M.2 Slot not working-960Evo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AB350M Pro4: Ultra M.2 Slot not working-960Evo
    Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 1:36am
So I just put together my micro-ATX PC, and the computer boots up fine. However, my m.2 NVMe 960 Evo 500gb is not detected by the BIOS or by the Windows UEFI Bootable USB when I try to install Windows 10. I am pretty sure the 960 Evo is a PCIe drive, not SATA. Therefore I am not sure why it is not working. I have not tried the SATA m.2 slot, but I will when I get home, although I don't expect better results. 

Normally, I would assume a bad motherboard or a bad SSD, however my friend had this exact same problem with the same exact mobo and SSD problem last week (however he could afford to return the mobo and get a different brand b350m, which the SSD worked on). 

I was wondering if anyone else experienced a similar issue. I tried installing the SSD drivers through the windows install, but the only drivers Samsung releases are in .exe form, which the windows install cannot detect.

I contacted Asrock support about this, and they have yet to respond. If anyone here can help me out, please let me know. Thanks.
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 2:00am
Makrm, W10 has drivers for the Samsung SSD, so no need to provide to Setup.  I do suggest you install the latest drivers when you are running.  I am sure you have done this, but I need to ask: have you screwed the SSD down with the tiny screw into the standoff?  If the SSD is not essentially parallel to the MB, the socket will not make proper contact.  If all looks good, then I do suggest you try the M2_2 socket.  This will help to determine if it is the MB or the SSD.  Have you looked in the BIOS under Advanced - Storage to make sure it does not show up?  The SSD is not SATA.  Good luck and enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
makrm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 2:41am
Yes John, I did screw down the SSD properly, and I can still try to M2_2 slot when I get home. However, I didn't know that Windows 10 already has the drivers for the NVMe drive. This was not reflected in the fresh install when asked for a storage device to load the OS onto (it did not detect the ssd, or the .exe driver from the Samsung website). 
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 3:11am
makrm, please try without the SSD installed at all.  Have you ever looked in the BIOS for the SSD?  If not, do that first.  Enjoy, John.

EDIT: Setup is looking for a .inf file and will ignore all others.  The .inf file can then reference .sys (driver) file(s) and others file(s).  A bare minimun driver will have three files: .inf, .sys and .cat (security).

EDIT: Are you trying to install the 64 bit version of W10?

Edited by MisterJ - 23 Jun 2017 at 3:32am
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
makrm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 5:44am
So I got home and tried it in the M2_2 slot as well. The BIOS still does not detect the drive. In addition, I just got an email from support asking me to check if I can see the SSD in the BIOS even though I mentioned I couldn't. Their response seems to be quite slow, so these forum posts are the quickest help I have gotten. 

It also seems the bootloop issue I had in my other post has been resolved at least temporarily. 
makrm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 6:15am
I also just tried using the linux-based firmware update tool from Samsung for the 960 evo, and it just gave a blue screen (with no text on it except the BIOS date/time) when it booted. I was able to hit esc and then "discard changes and exit"
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 8:13am
makrm, I suspect your SSD does not need a firmware update.  I have two almost three months old and they came and continue to have the latest.  What was the BIOS (firmware?) date/time?  The latest Firmware (2B7QCXE7) is dated 2-15-2017.  What ASRock BIOS version are you using?  Have you updated to the latest?  When/if you do be sure to Load UEFI Defaults (F9) after the update.  Open your BIOS to see the BIOS version and make sure you have Instant Flash (under Advanced).  Some older MBs did not support Instant Flash and need to be flashed using a DOS boot disk.  Would it be possible for you to try your SSD in your friend's MB and see if is recognized?  You should almost never need to use the Reset button.  It is a last resort when you PC is out to lunch.  Note that retail PCs have no Reset button.  The power button should never need to be used to power down the PC.  Again as a last resort.  Since you do not have an OS installed you have no choice.  Good luck, John.
makrm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 8:30am
Hi, I can see if I can try my SSD in my friend's motherboard, however I am really considering returning the mobo as well. I was just told by support I should return the mobo AND the ssd, but that will mean return shipping costs, restocking fees, and I will have to wait a lot longer for my new parts. Thanks for all your help John. 
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 8:38am
makrm, if you get an RMA approved, there will be no charges except to ship the part(s) to the vendor(s).  I was wrong about Instant Flash, it is under Tools.  Sorry you are having so much trouble.  I knew when I started my build so soon after release I was asking for trouble and I had to RMA my MB.  Enjoy, John.
makrm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 9:15am
The only issue is, my friend had the same exact problem with his motherboard before he returned. I also fear that the replacement motherboard will be faulty as well. :(
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic