ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is the maximum CPU fan wattage supported?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hifihedgehog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the maximum CPU fan wattage supported?
    Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 11:05am
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835213008

I am looking into investing in a 92mm Delta PFB0912DHE-F00 for the upcoming X370 Gaming-ITX/ac motherboard so I can overclock a Ryzen 1700 to crazy high levels in my Silverstone RVZ02 case. It would serve as the CPU fan seeing that it pushes up to an insanely high 175.03 CFM which would allow me to easily remove all hot air from my otherwise cramped, fanless case. My only concern is the motherboard's CPU fan power circuitry could instantly fry from the Delta fan's equally insanely high power draw of 37.2 watts (for realz). What is the maximum CPU fan wattage supported on the X370?

Edited by hifihedgehog - 27 Jun 2017 at 11:23am
kboxvegas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kboxvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 1:32am
On the existing Asrock X370 boards, the high amp CPU and Chassis Optional/Water Pump Fan headers support 1.5A (18w) and all of the Asrock AM4 boards have a 1A (12w) CPU fan header. That Delta is not a PWM fan anyways, so you would need to use a manual fan controller that can handle 36W on each port or just run it at full power off the molex directly to your PSU. As an owner of the 92mm Vantec Tornado (made by Delta) in the 90's I can tell you you do not want this thing running above 40% for the sake of your sanity. If you really feel that you need 100+CFM from a 92mm fan I would suggest the PWM Delta below that you can run with a custom fan curve off of the 1A CPU header or the high amp header if the X370 ITX has has one (these specs are available yet AFAIK).

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835706035
hifihedgehog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hifihedgehog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 2:08am
Originally posted by kboxvegas kboxvegas wrote:

On the existing Asrock X370 boards, the high amp CPU and Chassis Optional/Water Pump Fan headers support 1.5A (18w) and all of the Asrock AM4 boards have a 1A (12w) CPU fan header. That Delta is not a PWM fan anyways, so you would need to use a manual fan controller that can handle 36W on each port or just run it at full power off the molex directly to your PSU. As an owner of the 92mm Vantec Tornado (made by Delta) in the 90's I can tell you you do not want this thing running above 40% for the sake of your sanity. If you really feel that you need 100+CFM from a 92mm fan I would suggest the PWM Delta below that you can run with a custom fan curve off of the 1A CPU header or the high amp header if the X370 ITX has has one (these specs are available yet AFAIK).

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835706035

I was expecting that would be the route I would need to go and, coincidentally, I was eyeing that very lower wattage, 25 mm high variant you shared. I was simply interested in the other overspec'ed model for the sake of overclocking bragging rights and geek pride, but it is way overkill. But just so you know, having owned previous Asrock motherboards including my current H110M-ITX/ac, you can control the fan speed on non-PWM, 3-pin fans. See here:
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2915&PID=14446&title=3pin-fan-dc-speed-control-support#14446

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Originally posted by ermylistru ermylistru wrote:

Oh, read a bit about the thing - looks like they use now not voltage change on fan voltage pin, but low-frequency PWM - switch voltage on and off to reduce fan power. I see..
So AsRock supports this speed regulation for 3 pin fans?

Yes, of course it does! Controlling the speed of three pin fans with voltage control has been available for years on ASRock boards.

Edited by hifihedgehog - 28 Jun 2017 at 2:27am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic