ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AGESA 1.0.0.6a

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 23>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Star_Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 9:53pm
What did you expect? :D

The road ahead is still long.

When 2600K came out, it took Intel at least 1 year to optimize it.
Also, motherboard manufacturers took even longer.
This is no different.

Edited by Star_Pilgrim - 28 Jun 2017 at 9:54pm
Jakob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jakob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 9:58pm
How much of this "work still to do" is implementation (by ASUS) and how much is coding (by AMD)?
I'm still sad and a little upset, my k4 has been declared dead... ?˜¢
Star_Pilgrim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Star_Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 10:01pm
AsRock and other motherboard manufacturers can do little if AMD does not supply them with a new AGESA.

They just need to implement it, and that takes anywhere from 1 -7 days on one board, depending if they run in some outstanding issues.

Even then, it is only for their top tier motherboards, which then later trickles down to cheaper ones (month or months later).
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by Star_Pilgrim Star_Pilgrim wrote:

Even then, it is only for their top tier motherboards, which then later trickles down to cheaper ones (month or months later).

While it seems I'm tooting horns, I'm not.

ASRock is rather good at releasing an entire platforms worth of new BIOSes in one or two day. Yea. I do know what that might mean, but still ........

Surely it keeps the "I've been waiting two whole days now for MY board to get the Taichi's 1.0.0.6a AGESSA. I'm sending my board back as ASRock has left me out to dry. And never buying another ASRock." whiner posts
kebl3739 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebl3739 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by Star_Pilgrim Star_Pilgrim wrote:

Originally posted by kebl3739 kebl3739 wrote:

Since 1006 didn't fix my RAM problems at all (AB350 Pro4) I asked the tech support guy I've been in contact with the whole time about 1006a.

This was his response (after asking their BIOS team in Taiwan):

"My colleague replied that our BIOS team is currently busy with new BIOS versions to fix the Intel Hyperthreading bug. But they will put AGESA 1.0.0.6a in their schedule."

I am hopeful but after being so disappointed with 1006 I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah, their world revolves around you and your problems. Clap

Give it time, geez.
The team is only so big and there are plenty of problems to solve and resolve, each having their priority.

Someone got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning.

I'm just suggesting the timeline may be longer than "real soon".

E: forgot to quote

Edited by kebl3739 - 29 Jun 2017 at 12:01am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 11:49pm

hahaha Na! I'm good.

That line is as inevitable as the sun rising from the east.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Star_Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 12:33am

E: forgot to quote

I agree.

Someones definition of REAL soon, may be hours, while those that work on it, may actually mean days. :D

Time flies fast when you are in a crunch.

Edited by Star_Pilgrim - 29 Jun 2017 at 12:34am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Star_Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 5:47am
As long as it is a "better" mixed bag.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 12:08pm
Star_Pilgrim's reality check posts (which I agree with) inspired me to add one of my own. Geek

What I'd like to know is, what board(s) does AMD use to test their AGESA updates? Or what other methods do they use for testing? I hate to say this, and I usually have almost infinite patience, but I'm starting to feel like a beta tester. Or is that simply ignoring reality?

We are told very little by AMD about what "improved memory compatibility" really means. Some Ryzen users assume that means any model of DDR4 memory will suddenly become compatible, or be able to reach higher speeds than currently possible. Is that even possible? IMO, no it's not.

For example, Intel never made statements (promises?) regarding the memory over clocking capability of their processors (memory controller is part of the CPU), or that processor microcode updates would improve memory support and speed.

The waiting for microcode fixes for memory compatibility and speed is unique to Ryzen, with what other platforms have we had this situation? Yes, Ryzen seems to have been pushed out the door a little early, but IMO what could be improved should have been done so by now. The apparent upcoming release of new stepping models of Ryzen 7 processors is very interesting, why would they be needed?

Also, where is the reality of memory over clocks are not guaranteed? We accepted that as a simple reality with DDR2 and DDR3 memory, why would DDR4 be any different? It took Intel three platform generations (X99, Z170, and Z270) to get where they are today with X299, which can supposedly surpass DDR 4000 speed memory OCs. Yet the guaranteed supported memory speed is well below that. Why do we expect AMD to duplicate that with their first system using DDR4?

Where is all the Ryzen specific memory, if it is needed? We can find many, many models of DDR4 memory whose QVL's include only Intel chipset boards. Have Ryzen boards been added to the lists? In most cases, no. What's the best we know about Ryzen memory compatibility? Samsung B-die memory chips. The few models of Ryzen specific memory, one of which I use, can't reach its rated OC speed with AGESA 1.0.0.6.

Personally, I'm done with having faith in AGESA updates to bring me memory salvation. But who am I to question the faith of others?
chainsaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chainsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 8:54pm
Memory support does not live and die by AGESA updates, Look at the other motherboard's that could run many of the popular Ram kits at rates speeds up to 3200mhz day one. Asrock is the one who is dropping the ball on memory support IMO. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 23>
  Share Topic