ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Asrock Taichi X370 without secure erase command .
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock Taichi X370 without secure erase command .

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock Taichi X370 without secure erase command .
    Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 5:41pm
It would be nice If we could see the secure erase command incorporated in future bios version.
For that kind of board it is a must, taking into account that we see the command in cheaper boards.
I would also like to say that I had a bad experience with bios version 2.40.
I lost my ram speed, from 3200 I could only boot @ 2933. The board also became unstable. Reverting back to version 2.30 everything is working fine now.
Hoping new AGESA 1.0.0.6.a will solve more problems and not create new ones.

My specs:
AMD Ryzen 1600X
ASROCK X370 TAICHI

CORSAIR CMK16GX4M2B3200C16R (with SR HYNIX)

AlbinoRhino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlbinoRhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 1:08am
Originally posted by Haris Haris wrote:

It would be nice If we could see the secure erase command incorporated in future bios version.
For that kind of board it is a must, taking into account that we see the command in cheaper boards.
I would also like to say that I had a bad experience with bios version 2.40.
I lost my ram speed, from 3200 I could only boot @ 2933. The board also became unstable. Reverting back to version 2.30 everything is working fine now.
Hoping new AGESA 1.0.0.6.a will solve more problems and not create new ones.

My specs:
AMD Ryzen 1600X
ASROCK X370 TAICHI
<h1 style="font-size: 18px; padding: 0px;">CORSAIR CMK16GX4M2B3200C16R (with SR HYNIX)</h1>

What does secure erase do?
mkmcgregor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkmcgregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 2:57am
It securely erases the drive contents. This is typically used for SSDs where a charge is sent to all cells setting the all content on the SSD back to blank. This needs to be done periodically if the drive, only older ones or if the OS, does not support TRIM; garbage collection on SSDs that reallocates erased file areas on the drive. This technique is not what is used on HDs and I'm not sure if they have an internal algorithm that walks the drive writing dummy data to all sectors or if it's not supported. There are programs that can be downloaded that will do that data overwrite to HDs; repeatedly so no residual image is left of the original data. Just not sure if the HD drive itself is capable without an external program to do the writing. SSDs are capable of just self erasing securely.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic