ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My issue with a poor customer service experience
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

My issue with a poor customer service experience

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mshelbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My issue with a poor customer service experience
    Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 9:35am
Do not post here unless you are mshelbz or a Moderator

I originally posted to Reddit and it was suggested I post about my experience here.

On Monday I received my Killer x370 SLI AC motherboard and it wouldn't post, just spin the fans for about 30 seconds and restart the process. I called ASRock tech support to troubleshoot it and the guy just said "dead board you have to return it". When I asked if there was anything possible we could do he said if I'm not happy he suggests I try Asus or Gigabyte and I hung up speechless.

Since then I have returned it to Newegg over a whole other issue trying to get an RMA replacement but going forward the board I order won't be ASRock.

As of now I have a new CPU, GPU, RAM, 3 SSDs, 2 hard drives, and a nice case collecting dust over this.

Edited by wardog - 30 Jun 2017 at 1:15pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 9:50am
I'm sorry you were handled as you were. There's no excuse for that. I'll PM you concerning this.

Come here when you get the board back(?) and we unpaid Moderators here will assist you.

Most Ryzen issues like you describe boils down to it being memory related. If I can w/o salting your wound further, what memory Make and Model # is the kit you have?

Ryzen unfortunately is a work in progress. We're all guinea pigs Tongue

Sincerely,
wardog
mshelbz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mshelbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 9:56am
The ram used was G.Skill f4-3200c16d-32gvk

I know it's not capable of hitting 3200 right now but haven't seen anything stopping the Killer SLI from posting. I also tried just each stick individually in all the slots.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:58am
Ff4-3200C16D-32GVK is based using Hynix M-die IC's.

Maybe worse is they are 16GB sticks of Hynix, Dual Rank, Double Sided.

Regardless if you get another SLI/ac or Brand B board, come back here and grab my attention. I'll make an exception if the board is not ASRock and we'll see if we can't get that running there for you.

Keep me posted on the experience you have when you get it benched/assembled huh. Regardless.

Taiphoon Burner stats on the Kit you have:

Till then,
wardog
mshelbz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mshelbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 11:39am
Thanks. I haven't really been involved in all the memory issues with Ryzen or what half of that means but hopefully it all comes together with slight tweaking.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 1:16pm

mshelbz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mshelbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 9:05pm
So I went ahead and ordered another Killer SLI AC.

If my memory isn't compatible, can you suggest a 32GB kit that is or would I be better off going with 4X8GB? My plan was to upgrade to 64GB due to working with 4K video mostly.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:32pm
I wouldn't "upgrade" if upgrade means buying 32GB now and another 32GB somewhere down the road at a later date. That could turn into a recipe for disappointment. That's usually not a good idea, splitting purchases up by some time. The manufacturer my substitute different IC's that run at x speed and carry the same timings, but not be compatible with the first Kit you purchased.

Hmmm,..4K video huh. Is this going to be a production box or will it be OC'd ?

G.Skill, regardless. They have the broadest range of guaranteed Ryzen specific compatible memory.
http://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=52&chip=2952&model=2987

2400MHz is as fast as they currently go for the SLI/ac, with choices of CL of 15 or 16.

NewEgg pricing of pretty much $465 for 64GB(4x16GB) 2400MHz Kits.

mshelbz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mshelbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 12:14pm
I got a new Killer SLI AC in today and it posted fine.  

I overclocked to 3.9Ghz at 1.35V and it's holding strong.

Once I try to overclock the memory at all, it fails to boot.  This is with the latest BIOS.  Is there anything I can try or should I just look for 4 8GB sticks of ram?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by mshelbz mshelbz wrote:

I got a new Killer SLI AC in today and it posted fine.  

I overclocked to 3.9Ghz at 1.35V and it's holding strong.

Awesome !

Originally posted by mshelbz mshelbz wrote:

Once I try to overclock the memory at all, it fails to boot.  This is with the latest BIOS.  Is there anything I can try or should I just look for 4 8GB sticks of ram?

Let me root 'round some on your F4-3200C16D-32GVK Kit somewhere first and I'll be back in a jiffy if you're still awake. I PM'd you also.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic