ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

1700 CPU stuck at 1.5ghz

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CocoaThumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1700 CPU stuck at 1.5ghz
    Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 2:17pm
[URL=][/URL]Hey there. Here's my system:

Ryzen 1700 currently attempting overclocking to 3.75ghz with 1.35 volts
Two 8GB sticks of Gskill Tridentz DDR4 3200 CL14 RAM (Samsung Bdie)
Asrock x370 SLI Killer AC motherboard (BIOS v2.50)
XFX RX 480 8GB GPU
EVGA G3 Gold 750w PSU
Crucial MX300 525GB SSD

Here's my problem:

Ive been trying to dial in a good CPU overclock and stress test to find the best frequency. All of a sudden last night, after a reboot, anytime I overclock in the BIOS, once I get to windows, my CPU stays at 1.5ghz. No matter what task I do, what benchmark I run...the CPU stays clocked low. Even with Cinebench and Prime95.

I reset the CMOS, and loaded into Windows with stock settings, and the CPU will boost up to 3.2 ghz on all cores when under load. So back to normal just for a bit.

As soon as I go into the BIOS to overclock again, the same issue happens in Windows. I'm stuck at 1.5ghz with no boost. I checked the Ryzen Balanced power plan, and set the minimum frequency and max frequency ...but the problem remain until I clear BIOS again.

I want to be able to overclock and am getting very frustrated with this board. I try to lower my voltage and overclock....but the only thing to fix this issue is to run the CPU stock. Why all of a sudden I cannot overclock? I was overclocking fine two days ago with my CPU

Edited by CocoaThumper - 01 Jul 2017 at 2:19pm
Akagami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akagami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 12:05am
I've had a similar issue where my 1600 was stuck at 1.3 after overclocking to 3.85GHz. I fixed it by decreasing to 3.8. I think it's a buggy BIOS so I'll revisit it after the next revision is out.
CocoaThumper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CocoaThumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 2:13am
The weird thing is that I was able to hit 3.7 and 3.8 GHz just two or so days ago.

Weird how all of a sudden my overclocks are being ignored and not boosting in Windows.

I'm hoping we get another bios update soon. Because I bought ASRock based on the good reviews.

MSI was my other choice but they are having this same issues.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 7:25am
Try removing the CMOS battery and jumping the CLRCMOS jumpers for,.... 10mins
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 10:32am
Originally posted by CocoaThumper CocoaThumper wrote:

[URL=][/URL]Hey there. Here's my system:

Ryzen 1700 currently attempting overclocking to 3.75ghz with 1.35 volts
Two 8GB sticks of Gskill Tridentz DDR4 3200 CL14 RAM (Samsung Bdie)
Asrock x370 SLI Killer AC motherboard (BIOS v2.50)
XFX RX 480 8GB GPU
EVGA G3 Gold 750w PSU
Crucial MX300 525GB SSD

Here's my problem:

Ive been trying to dial in a good CPU overclock and stress test to find the best frequency. All of a sudden last night, after a reboot, anytime I overclock in the BIOS, once I get to windows, my CPU stays at 1.5ghz. No matter what task I do, what benchmark I run...the CPU stays clocked low. Even with Cinebench and Prime95.

I reset the CMOS, and loaded into Windows with stock settings, and the CPU will boost up to 3.2 ghz on all cores when under load. So back to normal just for a bit.

As soon as I go into the BIOS to overclock again, the same issue happens in Windows. I'm stuck at 1.5ghz with no boost. I checked the Ryzen Balanced power plan, and set the minimum frequency and max frequency ...but the problem remain until I clear BIOS again.

I want to be able to overclock and am getting very frustrated with this board. I try to lower my voltage and overclock....but the only thing to fix this issue is to run the CPU stock. Why all of a sudden I cannot overclock? I was overclocking fine two days ago with my CPU

I'm curious, how are you configuring your OC? Using the OC Tweaker screen and setting the core multiplier there?

Or are you doing it via PStates in the Advanced\ AMD CBS\ Zen Common Options\ Custom Core Pstates screen?

Either way, check what you have in the Custom Core Pstates screen and compare it to what is shown in the OC Tweaker screen. The two can become out of sync, and in my experience the Custom Core Pstates settings have priority. The two screens (OC Tweaker and Custom Core Pstate) are linked, but if  Custom Core Pstates is out of sync, it won't change until the CPU frequency in OC Tweaker is manually changed again.

Hard to describe, I hope this make some sense.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CocoaThumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 12:04pm
I'm a noob. I was only using OC Tweaker. I'll give P states a shot sometime later. That is a little more daunting and difficult for a beginner

Edited by CocoaThumper - 02 Jul 2017 at 12:21pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by CocoaThumper CocoaThumper wrote:

I'm a noob. I was only using OC Tweaker. I'll give P states a shot sometime later. That is a little more daunting and difficult for a beginner

I'm not saying you should use P States, or that it is better, but just that it might be why you are stuck at 1.5GHz.

Just look at the Pstates screen, and see what the PStates0 profile at the top looks like. If the core speed is 1.5GHz, then that should be the reason you are stuck at that speed.

When you are in the PStates screen, if they are all set to Auto and you see nothing else, set the top/first one to Custom, and see what the speed is.

Since you said when you clear the CMOS you get back to stock speeds, that's the hint that it MIGHT be a PState. I'm not certain it is that, but the best I can come up with without knowing more.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CocoaThumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 1:14am
Thanks for the guidance. It does appear that once I went into OC tweaker and made my changes, both Pstates P0 and P1 got set to my overclock speed. Everything else was on Auto. However with P0 and P1 being the same, and P2 and all the other states on Auto, that's where I end up stuck on 1.5 ghz somehow.

So I tried setting P1 and P2 to Auto, then using Custom so I could see the value changes. The Bios had P1 end up at 2.6 ghz and P2 at 1.5. I set them back to Auto, set P0 to my overclock of 3.7ghz, and saved and exited.

In windows I now properly downclock to 1.5 ghz but only upclock to 2.6 ghz when under load. I have my power options properly set. And yet Windows ignores my P0 overclock setting. Seems that with P0 custom set to 3.7ghz, and having all my other Pstates at Auto, Windows only recognizes the Auto P1 and P2 settings (though their real values are 1.5ghz and 2.6ghz respectively)

I'm reading Level1Techs website and discussion from Wendell (the owner). I'm also looking at a couple videos on YouTube. Seems the solution may be to set my max overclock to both P0 and P1, and then set my downclock to P2. And then disabling all the Pstates started with P3 and the rest of the list.

Ill report back later.

Edited by CocoaThumper - 03 Jul 2017 at 1:17am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CocoaThumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 7:02am
[URL=][/URL][URL=][/URL]This is truly frustrating. No matter how many times I set these Pstates, they refuse to upclock and downclock properly. I either the following results:

1. get stuck on 1.5ghz.
2. stuck on 3.7ghz
3. can downclock to 1.5ghz, and only boost to 2.7ghz, while my 3.7ghz OC is ignored.

I gotta be honest, and say that while I knew Ryzen is new archicture and everyone is working on BIOS still, this is a bit more of a pain then I would have expected

Anyone else have any ideas? Ive tried setting Pstates P0, P1, and P2....but the results are confusing to me

Edited by CocoaThumper - 03 Jul 2017 at 8:03am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CocoaThumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 8:04am
Ok, I think I have almost solved the problem. Ill report back soon. Maybe mods can make a sticky post once I get this solved, so to help future posters.

EDIT: Ive started a new thread with an update to this issue.

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5507&title=adventures-in-1700-overclocking-somewhat-success

Edited by CocoaThumper - 04 Jul 2017 at 1:50pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic