ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gaming X vs Gaming k4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mysticjbyrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gaming X vs Gaming k4
    Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 3:07am
I am asking, because I am putting together another build, more budget friendly, for a friend.  Well that and I am curious.

What is the differences between these two boards?

I heard the k4 was going eol, and this was the replacement.  I also heard the mods here say that the gaming x has some better components.  However, the gaming x is cheaper somehow?  $110 on newegg atm, after mir.

I also heard another forum member say the exact opposite, and claimed the k4 was too good for the price.  Not sure what to believe... Some clarification from asrock about the exact differences would be great!

Is "God" able, but not willing to stop evil? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God???

??Epicurus
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 7:57am
Originally posted by mysticjbyrd mysticjbyrd wrote:

I am asking, because I am putting together another build, more budget friendly, for a friend.  Well that and I am curious.

What is the differences between these two boards?

I heard the k4 was going eol, and this was the replacement.  I also heard the mods here say that the gaming x has some better components.  However, the gaming x is cheaper somehow?  $110 on newegg atm, after mir.

I also heard another forum member say the exact opposite, and claimed the k4 was too good for the price.  Not sure what to believe... Some clarification from asrock about the exact differences would be great!

These two boards are virtually identical in their construction and features. The only main feature difference is the Gaming K4 has two USB 3.1 ports, while the Gaming X does not have any USB 3.1 ports.

There may be some differences in components on these two boards, prices for some chips have increased dramatically and can no longer be used on budget oriented boards like these. Specific chip models such as the VRM chips will not be high end chips on boards at this price level, so are not specified in the specifications. Both boards are 12 phase, 8 + 4 VRM designs.

The Gaming Z is simply on sale at Newegg now (ending in six days), while the Gaming K4 is not. That accounts for the current price difference, and is not related to the board itself. The MSRP of both boards is identical, $159. The Gaming X also has a better rebate, since it is a new product.
Ricky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 8:04pm
compared to k4, gaming x also has a worse vrm design, it dont't have on board IR Digital PWM controller.
BoneCrusherXes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoneCrusherXes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 8:53pm
The Gaming X is also quite limited in OC bios options as well, see my older post here:

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5400&title=x370-gaming-x-no-llc-offsetv-fixedv-values-only

summary of my post:
-The Gaming X is lacking LLC (CPU+SOC)
-Voltage can only be set to Offset mode
-Only fixed Offset Voltages can be selected from a list
-For CPU a max negative value of -100mv is possible
-SOC can only be increased, no negative values possible
ASRock X370 Taichi, AMD Ryzen 7 1700X @ 3,9 , Noctua NH-D15
2x16GB G.Skill F4-3200C14D-32GTZ @3200 14-13-13-26-42 1T GearDown Enabled
MSI Geforce GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G
mysticjbyrd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mysticjbyrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by BoneCrusherXes BoneCrusherXes wrote:

The Gaming X is also quite limited in OC bios options as well, see my older post here:

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5400&title=x370-gaming-x-no-llc-offsetv-fixedv-values-only

summary of my post:

Surely the bios will be updated with those things though.;
Originally posted by Ricky Ricky wrote:

compared to k4, gaming x also has a worse vrm design, it dont't have on board IR Digital PWM controller. 

Do you a source for that?

edit:  What does a on board IR Digital PWM controller do exactly? 

Edited by mysticjbyrd - 06 Jul 2017 at 9:30pm

??Epicurus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoneCrusherXes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 11:53pm
i really hope more options will come with updates.
But if i read what Xaltar wrote in another thread i doubt LLC will be added as its not supported:

Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

These new components are higher quality and less subject to voltage droop and as such do not support LLC settings.

Not a direct quote, I would need to go through my mail for that but that is the gist of it.

mysticjbyrd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mysticjbyrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 12:13pm

i really hope more options will come with updates.
But if i read what Xaltar wrote in another thread i doubt LLC will be added as its not supported:

Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

These new components are higher quality and less subject to voltage droop and as such do not support LLC settings.

Not a direct quote, I would need to go through my mail for that but that is the gist of it.

Yah, I found that comment to be puzzling.   

I looked at the mb comparisons, and I noticed the k4 doesn't list 3200 (OC) as a possibility.   Also, the - IR Digital PWM was replaced with -Digi Power design, which I would assume is a downgrade.

Also no usb 3.1, but I don't care about that.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/compare.us.asp?Models=Fatal1ty%20X370%20Gaming%20K4,Fatal1ty%20X370%20Gaming%20X

Edited by mysticjbyrd - 07 Jul 2017 at 12:13pm

??Epicurus
Ricky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by mysticjbyrd mysticjbyrd wrote:

summary of my post:

Surely the bios will be updated with those things though.;
Originally posted by Ricky Ricky wrote:

Do you a source for that?

edit:  What does a on board IR Digital PWM controller do exactly? 

from spec comparison, and there is gaming x owner in reddit mention it got a worse design as told by asrock support
Ricky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 1:23pm

summary of my post:

just curious did you get better memory oc with gaming x? or it is the same with k4?

Edited by Ricky - 07 Jul 2017 at 1:23pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoneCrusherXes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 7:13pm
yes, i actually got better memory OC with the Gaming X.
On the K4 i got my 2x16GB up to 3066 after lots of trial and error.
On the X 3200 was quite easy , could also post with 3333 but didnt really try for long to get it stable, was quite unstable so i didnt bother.

But on the other hand i was not able to get my 1700X stable at 3.9ghz anymore, i think its cause of the vdroop, at least not with 3200mhz ram. The missing LLC pays its price here i guess.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic