ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

No bios screen asrock z77 extreme6

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gathomas72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No bios screen asrock z77 extreme6
    Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 6:01am
I had a 3rd party pci-e video card installed Nvidia GTX 660 which was running fine.  I wanted to do some maintenance and booted into the bios and assigned the on board video as the primary and then rebooted and now I can't get video even to get back into the bios.  

Can anyone give me the keystroke map to attempt to reassign my gtx 660 back as the primary? 
Joe-912 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe-912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 10:22pm
Silly question but did you switch the cable to onboard connection?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 11:47pm
The cable check idea above is valid of course, as well as removing the cable from the video card if you have a cable connected to both video sources.

Another possibility is your monitor is not set to auto-switch its input, if you are using a different cable type (DVI vs HDMI for example) with the onboard video. We ALL have been burned by that once or twice.

Otherwise, I suggest clearing the CMOS/BIOS and starting over. Your board has a Clear CMOS button on the IO panel, so you don't need to open the PC case.
gathomas72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gathomas72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 2:52am
I'll have to attempt to force the display to find the source, but I did move the cable and removed the card just to be sure.  It's going from DVI to DVI.  
gathomas72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gathomas72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 9:22pm
Alright so I went home last night and made sure the display found the correct source and and still nothing.  Tried a second display via, DVI,VGA, and HDMI and nothing.   Also I pressed the clear CMOS button and nothing.   
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2015 at 1:54am
What CPU are you using with that board?

Try clearing the CMOS/BIOS with the jumper on the board, with the AC power removed from the PSU, etc.
Polymer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2015 at 12:18am
I have a similar story. my motherboard is a z77 extreme4. I'm on windows 7, I disabled nvidia graphics and switched the dvi cable to the motherboard. It was Intel HD4000, and worked. I restarted my computer, but the screen was blank, though I could hear windows turning on.

I reset my bios by taking out the battery, waiting a minute, and putting it back in (forgot there was a motherboard switch for this >_<). Now the computer doesn't boot, and the motherboard cycles through error codes, ending on A2.

Thoughts on this would be great.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2015 at 12:56am
Taking out the battery for 1 min doesn't seem to be enough to clear CMOS on newer boards. Generally I take the battery out for 4 hours after having unplugged the power from the PC and holding down the power button to discharge the psu. Clear CMOS via jumper does not seem to be effective in most situations so I tend to recommend the battery route or both in combination. 

Try the battery removal again and see if that helps.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2015 at 1:26am
Originally posted by Polymer Polymer wrote:

I have a similar story. my motherboard is a z77 extreme4. I'm on windows 7, I disabled nvidia graphics and switched the dvi cable to the motherboard. It was Intel HD4000, and worked. I restarted my computer, but the screen was blank, though I could hear windows turning on.

I reset my bios by taking out the battery, waiting a minute, and putting it back in (forgot there was a motherboard switch for this >_<). Now the computer doesn't boot, and the motherboard cycles through error codes, ending on A2.

Thoughts on this would be great.

The A2 POST code is a SATA/drive issue, BUT as I recall with my Z77 Extreme4 board, when you are in the UEFI/BIOS, that is the code that is displayed, so not a problem.

Since you cleared the CMOS, you would normally see a message about pressing DEL, etc, to enter the UEFI or it will timeout and boot. In your case I bet the board went to the UEFI UI because you removed the battery, but you still have the display problem, so could not tell.

If your video card is still in the PC, the board thinks you are still using the video card, even without a cable connected to it.

Try removing the video card, which will force the use of the integrated graphics, regardless of the setting of Primary Graphics Adapter in Northbridge Configuration.

When (if) you get into the UEFI, check the setting of IGPU Multi-Monitor in Northbridge Configuration. The default is Enabled, which allows the IGPU and video card to operate at the same time. IMO, that setting can cause the problem you have when a video card is installed but no cable is connected to it. If you have the configuration again with the video card installed but all cables removed from it, set IGPU Multi-Monitor to Disabled when you set Primary Graphics Adapter to Onboard.

Polymer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2015 at 4:30am
Removing the graphics card did the trick! A clarifying question.

Do you recommend IGPU-multi monitor be left disabled all the time, or only when I set the primary graphics adapter to onboard?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic