ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seeking advice - Crash issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 7:46am
Originally posted by nocturnalsandwich nocturnalsandwich wrote:

Screen shot of my crash logs.

Oh hell!

Before proceeding ANY further, get yourself a 550-650w psu. Name branded like Seasonic, Corsair, EVGA etc etc.
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 7:57am
nocturnalsandwich, thanks but that is not really useful.  I want to see the Minidump files if there are any.  Please look in your Windows folder for a minidump folder, compress and upload.  Thanks and enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 9:34am
nocturnalsandwich, have you installed the video driver yourself, or was it done via Windows update?

Even if you installed the video driver yourself, Windows 10 may have updated it since then. The only problems with Win 10 I've had is when I allowed it (before I could stop it) to update the video driver.

This is EVGA's driver download page, just select the appropriate card (10 series), the OS version, and uncheck Show Latest Driver to get a full list of driver versions. You can find your driver version in Programs and Features:

https://www.evga.com/support/download/

Given what you wrote in your first post, that you have Windows install all the drivers, would I trust Windows to install the appropriate drivers? No, that is the last thing I would want to happen. You are reluctant to and didn't run the AMD All in One driver installation package? Running that should have been the FIRST thing you did after installing Windows 10. Later in your post you said you "... updated to the new AMD chipset", does that mean chipset drivers? Was that via Device Manager, as you described? Any time I install Windows, I make sure the network interface is disconnected/disabled, to prevent Windows update from installing anything before I install the correct drivers.

You said in your first post that sfc /scannow returned with non-repairable errors, and all I can see is you reset Windows to default settings. Do you still have sfc returning non-repairable errors after the Windows reset? If so, you have a corrupted Windows installation, which is another variable in the problem.

The main problem is the crash when a game is closed, or apparently just web browsing after a crash somehow (restarted the PC?) We still have not seen the reason for the crash, as stated above, which may only contain information on the driver involved during the crash, which is a good clue. That is essential information.

Your video card does not seem to need any extra power cable from the PSU connected to it, is that correct? The card only uses power from the PCIe slot?

Jm62383 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jm62383 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 9:54am
What setting is your power management on? In Nvidia control panel set it to "prefer maximum performance" and see what happens.

Edited by Jm62383 - 14 Jul 2017 at 11:54am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 9:55am
MisterJ, I'm considering this is power related.

His sfc /scannow was unable to fix some corruption. NTFS has been around for years. For all intents it is bulletproof now. And rather adept at correcting itself if not too far over the hill, which again, doesn't happen often enough to not be discrediting this as power related.

IMO. You please stay on the track you're on. My guess? It isn't writing a MiniDump. He didn't mention BSODs, the lack of which are considered hard events severe enough to cause it to instead immediately shut down and or reboot

IMO, since we are troubleshooting over the internet no less, his PSU is where I myself would begin now knowing his 1050ti GPU involved. At best, he's on the very edge with it. At worst, it'll be the reason behind what he described.

nocturnalsandwich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nocturnalsandwich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 12:21am
First off, thanks for all the replies. I was not paying too much attention last night and just going at it again.

I'll try to address you all one at a time.

Wardog: The PSU was brought up by ASRock support when I was speaking to them last night. We were on the phone quite a solid while and he went over all the steps he thought to rule out the motherboard. I explained the failed scannow results and speculated on a corrupt installer myself. He offered to replace the board via customer service as the best options to rule it out. In his best judgement he didn't want to say it was RAM or a PSU until we ruled out a faulty board. However, I am at the ready to buy a new PSU or RAM if the new board encounters the same crash. I've tested every wattage estimator on the web with my components and added in other devices accounting for USB devices etc and no single estimator thinks it would ever need more than 290watts on the high end. I am reluctant to think the 450w can't push that, but it is definitely possible and something I've considered. I have used both Windows "High Performance" power plan, the new AMD Chipset Power Plan for "Ryzen Balanced", and set my games to "Max Power" or however it is phrased in NVIDIA Controller. I just don't know how to check the hard numbers coming out of the PSU.

MisterJ: My apologies, an IT career friend told me he dealt with similar crashes in his professional environment and they were due to bad motherboards. He suggested those logs be a place I look to get hints for what type of hardware error could be crashing Windows OR if the error was actually due to bad software/installation. I'll look for what your asking tonight.

parsec: Thanks for chiming in. When I first wrote the post you're referencing I hadn't done a clean install of Windows yet. At that point my worry in installing the AMD all in one driver from the ASRock support page for my motherboard was reverting drivers Windows had already found updates for and causing potentially more issues. I overrode this by just clean installing Windows. I ran the all in one tool and then even updated beyond that with the new AMD chipset driver w/ power plan. ( http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows+10+-+64 ) I also made sure Windows was updated as currently as possible before trying to have it install newer drivers AFTER I ran the all in one and Chipset installers. SFC /scannow still does return corrupted files. I downloaded the Windows automated repair tool that runs scan now and patches by itself but it stalls (doesnt freeze just stops making progress) at 33% under "Checking Windows Store" and I wasnt able to use the DISM /RestoreHealth tool to auto fetch the files. To explain my crash as clearly as I can, it is a "black screen" crash that either consists of the image freezing on both monitors followed by the signal being lost accompanied with the USB devices losing power to LEDs and functions; or a pure screen freeze (that locks until I hard reboot) with the USB devices still receiving power and CAPS/NUM working as intended. During both of these scenarios the CPU and chasis fans all still spin and the computer seems to be running which is what made me think it may be a GPU issue. I'm going to go ahead and follow your link to the EVGA page, I had only used the drivers from the NVIDIA site prior. Will update with fixes, I don't want to assume and be arrogant enough to rule out I've exhausted all driver possibilities but beyond the detail of my initial post I've used Windows and manufacturer websites save EVGA (little blank moment on my part) to double check and download drivers for everything down to my camera, monitors, mouse, keyboard, headset, speakers, etc. My GPU is the EVGA FTW edition of the 1050Ti 4GB card, it is the only card that requires a 6 pin connector in the 1050 line. It runs at 125w MAXIMUM and the Ryzen runs at 65w MAXIMUM and those are the two biggest power draws in the entire PC. I am going to include some images below that may be relevant. 

Jm62383: I've adjusted the power settings in Windows to all the highest settings, as well as in the NVIDIA app.

Possibly relevant to everyone: http://imgur.com/a/d1E36
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 1:43am
nocturnalsandwich, I will look at any minidumps you have and see if I can make some sense of them.  Are the irreparable disk errors on your system disk?  If so, I would recommend that you install a fresh copy of W10 after a full format (not Quick).  If the format fails, them you may well need a new drive, or at least install W10 on another drive (after full format).  Good luck and enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nocturnalsandwich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 1:55am
There are no disk errors at all, it passes all scans and checks. I fully reformatted the drive on the install I mentioned above which took place Wednesday. I was able to secure another Windows install USB from a coworker for the same version and bit rate, just in case my install USB contains corrupted files.

Before proceeding with any reordering of parts I'm going to exhaust all the software troubleshooting you guys give me including installing the EVGA drivers and using this new confirmed clean install of Windows that functions with out of the box settings for my coworker. 
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 2:17am
Great, thanks nocturnalsandwich!  I assume by "bit rate" you mean architecture (32 or 64 bit).  You should be able to run a scan of your install USB and identify any errors (probably the install would fail if there were any).  I don't think you need to do that right now.  I have lost track of your setup.  Can you outline what drives you have and which one is the system disk, please.  Perhaps after your SW pursuit, you could get down to a minimal configuration for testing - using one monitor for example, UEFI defaults, one memory stick, etc.  Enjoy, John.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nocturnalsandwich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 2:52am
Yes, architecture haha. 

Exact setup link is here: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/NocturnalSandwich/saved/spzJxr

The links from this page include model numbers and all the like. There is one drive, SSD with Windows on it. Image of the drive and all my components are in this Imgur album ( http://imgur.com/a/d1E36 )

As far as minimal configuration goes; I've testing with one monitor this entire time using HDMI, I'e replicated this crash with both RAM sticks individually AND in each slot individually, AND have done that at every mHz and safe voltage in an effort to rule out RAM compatibility issues. I've also replicated the error with a GTX 650Ti AND the new 1050Ti.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic