ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seeking advice - Crash issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nocturnalsandwich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seeking advice - Crash issues
    Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 12:21am
I am going to link my Reddit post because I already went into great detail about the things I have done to troubleshoot this. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/6mwbhc/new_build_keeps_crashing_first_time_amd_build_for/

My PC Part Picker list is right here. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/NocturnalSandwich/saved/spzJxr

Basically the PC crashes when on Windows desktop or while playing games. I've ran through every device and used Windows to update the drivers. I downloaded the "all in one" driver but am afraid that might roll back some of the updates Windows did.

I updated to the new AMD chipset, updated to the newest Bios, have tried the RAM in every slot individually and together, reset Windows to a clean install, booted with just keyboard/mouse plugged in, unplugged and remounted all parts and wires, and have replicated the error in all those scenarios as well as with the old GPU (GTX 650Ti).

I ran sfc /scannow which found corrupt files and can't repair them. I ran /RestoreHealth and it needs me to manually download the files, but I am not sure which ones are corrupted. When I use the update tool it updates everything but the newest Adobe Flash for Windows 10 (I am running 64 bit Pro) which runs into an error when updating. 

I've run MemTest86 and it found zero errors through one pass before it told me to close the program.

One thing I am responsible for up; I bought RAM not listed on the QVL list for the AB350M Pro4, however I have run it up from 2133mHz on every increment. It runs stable up to 2400 @ 1.2v DRAM with Ryzen Master setting the SoC voltage to 1.15, and I was also able to run stable all the way up to 3200mHz at either 1.35v or 1.4v (voltages I found here on a forum post about RAM issues that were stated as running stable). The crash is persistent through all of those which leads me to believe it is not a RAM issue. 

I am truly at a loss, any guidance would be appreciated. I spoke to the techs on the phone and they insist it's an issue with the RAM due to me running it too high and tinkering, but the computer ran stable and I was gaming/streaming to Twitch for 3 hour sessions on 3 separate days before this started happening. At one point I got 5 mobo speak beeps but remounting the CPU cleared this error (and I checked for damaged pins, there are none).

Edited by nocturnalsandwich - 14 Jul 2017 at 12:22am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 1:19am
I'll take my best stab at helping.

But first. So I don't have to go referencing your prior doings on anothe forum, can I ask the we start fresh with a machine that is reset to UEFI Defaults?

I have my way of looking at and doing things so having UEFI Defaults to beging keeps me and maybe even you from being tripped up in/by this or that "random' change I myself may not be aware of yo having made.

That work for you? I'll go mano a mano against that computer of yours.

If so, write down your current OC settings. Should we fail. Which we wont!

nocturnalsandwich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nocturnalsandwich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 1:27am
I reset to factory settings for Windows, and for the ASRock motherboard. I am currently on the 2.5 Bios patch, would you like me to roll back? I am not loading my XMP profile, simply leaving it on auto, and I am doing no overclocking the RAM came at 3200mHz and it is downclocked by the motherboard to 2133mHz and the Ryzen is just running at the standard factory tuning.

I am not home right now, working for ~3 more hours. I will do my best to answer but I won't be able to tinker the hardware and settings further than what I explained above until a bit later. Thanks so much for replying.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nocturnalsandwich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 1:29am
My prior troubleshooting description copied from my other post: 

Describe your problem. List any error messages and symptoms. Be descriptive.

The PC boots and runs stable on Windows for basic web browsing and daily use. Whenever I boot a game (tested PUBG, CSGO, OW) I am able to play for as long as I want, but the PC crashes when I close the game app to return to the desktop. After this happens the PC even crashes sometimes sitting on Windows just using Discord and Chrome.

No specific error message but the order of events for the crash are as follows;

• First few times it crashed the monitors shut off, the USB devices with LED lights shut off (but the laser on the mouse stayed on?), and the fans/CPU keep spinning. The GPU fans haven't turned on even when it is working so I don't know if the GPU is still running when this crash happens. NOTE: this happened with a 1050Ti and the 650Ti I slotted in while waiting for the new GPU.

• The next few times it has happened after troubleshooting and tinkering the screen simply freezes, I can still engage and disengage CAPS and NUM lock lights, and as before the fans and CPU are till running. Again, this happens when the game closes, and after rebooting from that it will sometimes happen on the desktop.

List anything you've done in attempt to diagnose or fix the problem.

Initially I assume the Ryzen 1600 was too much for the old and overused 650Ti and according to GPU-Z I was running the GPU at nearly 70C so logically I just assumed GPU overheating due to being so old.

When the problem persisted with the 1050Ti slotted in I got to digging for answers on Google. My CPU is running at a cool 35-45C idle and 50-60C while in games. The new GPU runs so cool the fans don't even need to turn on. My RAM is DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mHz which is a clock speed ASRock advertises is compatible with their mobo. I didn't realize there was a list of specific RAM models among specific manufacturers that are confirmed to work, and the RAM I bought happens to not be on there.

However, I've spoken with ASRock over the phone and discussed the RAM support issue. He said 3200mHz will put it in a boot loop, which it did at 1.2DRAM volts in bios settings. I've since walked it up at 1.2v, 1.35v, and 1.4v and I get the computer to boot and run Windows stable at anything from 2133mHz to 3200mHz when set to 1.35v or higher. However the crash occurs no matter what when I close a game, and will compound into crashes just sitting on Windows randomly if I reboot the PC too quickly after crashing. I've now walked it back down to 1.2v @ 2400mHz since that seems to be the manufacturer and user recommended settings for the time being.

I've got my RAM slotted to A2 and B2, recommended by users and ASRock tech support, and basically the guy on the phone told me at this point they wouldn't be able to troubleshoot it any more and they offered to replace the board under warranty. I don't want to do that, so I did more digging and found a user who turned his SoC voltage up to 1.15 in order to get his 3200mHz RAM running stable at ~3000mHz. Ryzen Master already has my SoC clocked to that by default so I am not sure it's the RAM at all at this point.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 1:51am
Let's begin with a through listing of the components you're using, including the PSU's Make Model and age.

Not that this applies to you but it seemingly never fails. A User doesn't list their PSU and after 4-10 pages of diagnosing it turns out the PSU is 12yrs old and loads more heavily on the +3.3v and +5.0v rails. Well duh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nocturnalsandwich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 2:03am
For detailed model numbers reference this link, it's just a direct listing of my parts. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/NocturnalSandwich/saved/spzJxr

I'll list everything I have.

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 3.2gHz 6 Cores

GPU: EVGA GTX 1050Ti FTW ACX3.0 Cooling (SSC) 4GB GDDR5

MOBO: ASRock AB350m Pro4

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mHz 2 x 4GB

SSD: Western Digital Blue Series M.2 2280 plugged into the 6gb/s SATA interface slot

PSU: EVGA 80+ Bronze 450w https://pcpartpicker.com/product/MfvZxr/evga-450w-80-bronze-certified-atx-power-supply-100-b1-0450-k1

EDIT: it's all new out of the box. 

Anything else?

Edited by nocturnalsandwich - 14 Jul 2017 at 2:23am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nocturnalsandwich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 2:55am
Just found the PSU first available date on Amazong as 
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 3:33am
nocturnalsandwich, I agree with wardog - reset to UEFI defaults (F9 in BIOS).  I am concerned about the XMP 3200 MHz DRAM clock.  Defaults will allow it to go back to SPD settings, which I suspect are 2133 MHz.  Once the crash problem is gone, then wardog and others will help with the memory speed.  I would like to hear more about your crashes.  Please look in the Windows folder for a Minidump folder.  If there is one, please compress it and upload where we can all have a look.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nocturnalsandwich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 3:51am
I don't want you all to misunderstand me; changing my RAM clocking was simply a way to try to find out if the RAM was the issue. I've already reset to factory settings and the RAM is running at 2133mHz and the crash is still happening. The crash originally happened on factory settings and I only ever changed the RAM settings to troubleshoot the issue.

As I stated above, I am not using the XMP profile, and even when the XMP profile was loaded the system defaulted it to 2133mHz. This isn't an issue with getting the RAM where I want it or overclocking, I am fine with it running stable and just working. I was able to get the RAM booting stable up to it's factory 3200mHz at every increment along the way but the crash still happens. So I've ruled out the RAM being an issue.

I have no issues posting, booting, installing Windows, running Windows. The crash happens when I begin to actually use the computer and game/multitask normal desktop apps. I was just trying to list things I did to check this since my RAM doesn't appear on the QVL list that was a priority to troubleshoot.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nocturnalsandwich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 6:25am
Screen shot of my crash logs.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic