ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

BIOS 3.00 Pstate OC'ing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BIOS 3.00 Pstate OC'ing?
    Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 9:32pm
I have watched a video on how to OC the X370 Taichi M/B using the Pstate method. Everything makes sense except I can't find the BIOS option under Advanced>AMD CBS>Zen Common Options>Custom Core Pstates>Accept. Did version 3.00 change or move the "Custom Core Pstates" entry? I have changed everything back in the OC Tweaker section to Auto. Yet the Pstate0 and Pstate1 show the OC settings I had set in the OC Tweaker when Pstate0 or Pstate1 "Custom" is selected. That's all fine and good except the BIOS will not let me change any of the Pstate entries. It always sets them back to the original value! So...I need to find how to Accept Custom Core Pstates or determine what other setting is keeping this option from showing? Help would be greatly appreciated.

I tried Disabling "Global LC State Control" and now I can change the entries in Pstae0 and Pstate1. I guess that's progress but the only reason I'm playing with Pstate OC'ing is to get the system to down clock and down Vcore when the system is idle. That ain't happening according to CPU-Z 1.80. At least when I used the OC Tweaker method the Vcore dropped down when the system was idle?!

Edited by Ken429 - 21 Jul 2017 at 5:00pm
Ken429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 6:23pm
parsec or whomever has OC'd the X370 Taichi/Ryzen,

I updated the BIOS to 3.00 and changed the OC'ing method to Pstate CPU @ 3800 MHz @ 127.500V with the memory on Profile1 2933 and the boot time from pressing the power button to the first BIOS screen takes < 9 seconds. That is down from the ~19 seconds it used to take! I tried booting on v3.00 using the OC Tweaker method and it took ~19 seconds.

So...Pstate OC'ing has at least one advantage. I Enabled "Global LC State Control" and that allows the Vcore to drop from ~126.000uV to <.500V when Idle but the frequency does not change? I'm still confused on why the Pstate2 settings don't seem to work since the minimum frequency is set to 2200 MHz and the minimum voltage is set to .900V.

When I reset everything to Default the system does what it almost is supposed to do, it drops the Vcore down to <.500V and down clocks the CPU to 2200MHz. That's close to what I would expect except Pstate2 says the minimum Vcore should b .900V?

Am I the only one with this "problem" when OC'ing the Ryzen X1700 on the ASRock X370 Taichi M/B? Comments please!

Edited by Ken429 - 23 Jul 2017 at 12:45am
Ken429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 12:07am
One more issue that I'm having with BIOS version 3.00, The Windows Restart option (Restart, Shutdown and Sleep) goes directly back into Windows. It does not give you the chance to enter the BIOS. It now acts like The "ASRock Restart to UEFI" did when the system was OC'd on BIOS version 2.40. Now with V3.00 I get an added bonus - "ASRock Restart to UEFI" hangs the system whether I have the BIOS set to Defaults or OC'd! One step forward and three backward?
Ken429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 7:05pm
Thanks to the suggestions in this thread I final got Mr. Ryzen to do what it should:
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5354&title=x370-taichi-pstate-oc-bug

I ended up with:
Pstate0 set to Custom 98-8-2C
Pstate1 set to Auto   98-8-2C
Pstate2 set to Custom 84-8-68
Pstate 3,4... set to Disabled
Power Plan-Minimum Processor State set to 40%

Don't ask me why or how but the system seems to run as expected with the down voltage and down clock matching the settings in Pstate2.

Unfortunately, Restart still goes directly back into Windows. Is this BIOS Version 3.00 bug or is there some other magic setting I'm missing that will fix this...or...am I the only person with this problem?
Ken429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 7:28pm
Looks like I'm talking to myself but then it makes me feel better!

I now have the system running on the following settings:
Pstate0 set to Custom 9c-8-22
Pstate1 set to Auto
Pstate2 set to Custom 84-8-68 (Defaults?)
Pstate3,4...set to Disabled

The system is stable at 3900, at least it runs IBT for 10 passes and runs Handbrake for over an hour converting Blu Ray discs to MP4 files. I don't know if it is factual but Handbrake seems to be the best stability test since it keeps all 16 threads running at close to 100%. And...when I put the source file on an SSD vs a standard hard drive the processor wants a notch or two more voltage??

The only problems I am aware of at this time are:

The Windows Restart option does not show the BIOS post screen - it just reboots Windows!

The ASRock Restart to UEFI program hangs the system!

The ASRock AI-Tuning program gets a Division by Zero when loading!

None of these are game breakers but...do not instill confidence.

Also,does the latest version of the BIOS (3.0) allow the GSkill 3200-14 memory to run at the stated speed?

Edited by Ken429 - 06 Aug 2017 at 7:32pm
prodev42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prodev42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 3:36am
Originally posted by Ken429 Ken429 wrote:

Looks like I'm talking to myself but then it makes me feel better!

I now have the system running on the following settings:
Pstate0 set to Custom 9c-8-22
Pstate1 set to Auto
Pstate2 set to Custom 84-8-68 (Defaults?)
Pstate3,4...set to Disabled

The system is stable at 3900, at least it runs IBT for 10 passes and runs Handbrake for over an hour converting Blu Ray discs to MP4 files. I don't know if it is factual but Handbrake seems to be the best stability test since it keeps all 16 threads running at close to 100%. And...when I put the source file on an SSD vs a standard hard drive the processor wants a notch or two more voltage??

The only problems I am aware of at this time are:

The Windows Restart option does not show the BIOS post screen - it just reboots Windows!

The ASRock Restart to UEFI program hangs the system!

The ASRock AI-Tuning program gets a Division by Zero when loading!

None of these are game breakers but...do not instill confidence.

Also,does the latest version of the BIOS (3.0) allow the GSkill 3200-14 memory to run at the stated speed?

1. as of now I dont see a way to config Power Plan-Minimum Processor State in windows advanced power settings, like it doesnt show minimum processor frequency field.....so i am gonna try ur settings...do you have to enable global c-states?... 

2. yes.. bios 3.0 allow 3200-14 to run at stated speed..just enable xmp profile and give it a SOC voltage of at least 1.1 (i use 1.1) and DRAM voltage at least 1.35 (i use 1.4)

Edited by prodev42 - 07 Aug 2017 at 3:39am
Ken429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 6:00am
prodev42,

Read all the posts in this thread and follow the steps in this thread:
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5354&title=x370-taichi-pstate-oc-bug

You have to download the additional Power Options for Ryzen from AMD the Power Plan for Ryzen is not included in Windows.

prodev42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prodev42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 6:27am

prodev42,

Read all the posts in this thread and follow the steps in this thread:

You have to download the additional Power Options for Ryzen from AMD the Power Plan for Ryzen is not included in Windows.

yah i set pstate1 to auto, p0 = 3900, p2 to @1500 7c/10/6c (also can use @2200 84/c/68), it is working up/down voltage, clocking is on 3900 not changing.... in power plan i can't set minimum...only see a maximum..I downloaded ryzen power plan, same thing, also most ppl say to use windows high performance and not the ryzen one.

pic -> http://imgur.com/Bvm5n93

Edited by prodev42 - 07 Aug 2017 at 6:36am
Ken429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 7:13am
Here is where I found a link to downloaded the latest chipset drivers.
https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/04/06/amd-ryzen-community-update-3

If you have the "AMD Ryzen Balanced" power plan showing up under Power in the Control Panel then select as follows:
Change Plan Settings>Change Advanced Settings>Processor Power Management>Minimum Processor State. I set it to 5% on Battery and 40% when plugged in.

Works as advertised for me!
prodev42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prodev42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 9:25am

Here is where I found a link to downloaded the latest chipset drivers.
https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/04/06/amd-ryzen-community-update-3

If you have the "AMD Ryzen Balanced" power plan showing up under Power in the Control Panel then select as follows:
Change Plan Settings>Change Advanced Settings>Processor Power Management>Minimum Processor State. I set it to 5% on Battery and 40% when plugged in.

Works as advertised for me!

yah not sure what i am doing wrong, Minimum Processor State does not show up. can you tell me what you disabled/enabled in bios? such as AMD cool quiet, c6, global c-states etc? and for pstate1 did you put on same as pstate0 or used AUTO?

Edited by prodev42 - 07 Aug 2017 at 9:26am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic