ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Computer won't recognize video unless 2 is used
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Computer won't recognize video unless 2 is used

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CasuallyHardcore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Computer won't recognize video unless 2 is used
    Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 5:52am
So I have a X370 Taichi with the latest bios and it will not recognize my video card unless I have another video card install on  the other slot.

The GPU in question is a Titan X pascal. 
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 9:33am
Originally posted by CasuallyHardcore CasuallyHardcore wrote:

So I have a X370 Taichi with the latest bios and it will not recognize my video card unless I have another video card install on  the other slot.

The GPU in question is a Titan X pascal. 

No details given, so all I can do is ask questions.

When inserting, removing, or moving one or more video cards, did you clear the CMOS/UEFI/BIOS?

The PCIe slots in use are? Which cards are in which slots?

The video card that cannot be recognized is the Titan X? If so, it becomes recognized (in Windows?) only when a second video card is in another PCIe slot?

The other video card is?

Were you using the other video card first, and later tried to use the Titan X?
CasuallyHardcore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CasuallyHardcore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 12:04pm
CMOS was cleared every time I moved the graphic card. The board gives me the LED error, asking me to clear CMOS.

The PCIe slots used are PCIE 2 and PCIE3. It doesn't matter which slot I use, the graphic card isn't recognized in either case. As of now the Titan is in PCIE2 and the 290 is in PCIE3, but I swapping them has no affect.

Computer will not boot with only the Titan inserted. It'll cycle through the errors until it lands on 64: Chipset initialization error. Please press reset or clear CMOS.

The other card in use is a AMD 290.

I breadboard the mobo with the 290 and it booted up fine. When I install the Titan Xp for the final build, it gave me the 64 error. When I install the 290 in the second PCIE slot, the system boots up and windows sees and install drivers for the Titan Xp. Everything runs normally after bootup.
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 4:36am
CasuallyHardcore, I assume you have the latest video drivers from the vendor's web site?  If not, please DL and install them.  Also make sure you are running the latest AMD chip set drivers from AMD Drivers DL site.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 11:35am
Originally posted by CasuallyHardcore CasuallyHardcore wrote:

CMOS was cleared every time I moved the graphic card. The board gives me the LED error, asking me to clear CMOS.

The PCIe slots used are PCIE 2 and PCIE3. It doesn't matter which slot I use, the graphic card isn't recognized in either case. As of now the Titan is in PCIE2 and the 290 is in PCIE3, but I swapping them has no affect.

Computer will not boot with only the Titan inserted. It'll cycle through the errors until it lands on 64: Chipset initialization error. Please press reset or clear CMOS.

The other card in use is a AMD 290.

I breadboard the mobo with the 290 and it booted up fine. When I install the Titan Xp for the final build, it gave me the 64 error. When I install the 290 in the second PCIE slot, the system boots up and windows sees and install drivers for the Titan Xp. Everything runs normally after bootup.

Letting Windows 10 install the video driver is the last thing I would allow to happen. I made that mistake installing Windows 10 once, which I always do with the PC disconnected from the Internet until I install all the basic drivers. Except once I connected to the Internet too soon by mistake.

Manual driver installation requests a restart of the PC immediately after the driver installation, does Windows 10 do that when it installs drivers? Just one example of why I don't trust it to install drivers.

Have you ever run a PC with an AMD and Nvidia based video cards in the PC at the same time?

So after you install the 290 to get the PC to boot, and have Windows install the Titan's video driver, if you then shutdown and remove the 290, the PC will then not boot?

With both cards in the PC, or just the 290, you need to disconnect the PC from the Internet. Then uninstall the 290's AMD driver. Then restart the PC, still not connected to the Internet, which will then install the generic MSoft video driver for the 290. When that is complete, shutdown the PC, remove the 290, clear the CMOS, and see if it will then boot with just the Titan installed.

This is hopefully just a video driver confusion of incompatible drivers (AMD and Nvidia), or possibly a Ryzen UEFI/BIOS issue. I've had problems just swapping different generation Nvidia video cards, if I did not first uninstall the Nvidia video driver.

If the problem persists, try clearing the CMOS and removing the board's battery for 10 minutes. But be sure to only use the Titan card in the board after clearing the CMOS in this way.

Have you ever had the Titan card running as the video source, to verify that it is functioning correctly? You never said if you had the Titan card connected to a monitor, or not.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic