ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's up with the crappy mATX boards?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tilltech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's up with the crappy mATX boards?
    Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 1:42am
Why didn't you, or every other MBO manufacturer, produce a single full-featured mATX AM4 board with:

• Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec
  • latest WiFi standard, or even just any WiFi option
  • more than one system fan connector
  • more than 2 DIMM slots
Not a single mATX board in existence has all these features at the same time, and not a single mATX AM4 motherboard has the ALC1220 Audio Codec.

What's going on, why are you so maliciously neglecting the small factor market??
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 4:52am
Do you mean mITX boards? Because both the AB350M Pro4 and the A320M Pro4 have 4 DIMM slots. Neither have WiFi or ALC1220, though. The Fatal1ty mentioned in your signature does have the latter, but I very much doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between ALC1220 and ALC892 (which is on the boards I mentioned). Is the CPU fan connector the only one you classify as a system fan connector? According the specs, the Fatal1ty has three connectors in total:

1 x CPU Fan Connector (4-pin)
1 x Chassis Fan Connector (4-pin)
1 x Chassis Optional/Water Pump Fan Connector (4-pin) (Smart Fan Speed Control)

Other boards also tend to have at least three connectors, and I'm not sure why you'd need more in a small form factor (mITX) build.

In any case, I guess the answer to your underlying question is price, form factor and market size. Putting four DIMM slots on an mITX-board is likely a pain, they look cramped even with two. WiFi costs money and the antenna socket takes up space in the backplate. Connectors also take up space and cost money, so why put more than what a typical mATX or mITX build uses (some might use only two)? All of this might be doable (except maybe four DIMM slots on an mITX board), but is there big enough of a market to justify the extra cost? I don't know, but I doubt there is. However, it would be good for PR and bragging rights, which also have value...

Edited by PetrolHead - 23 Jul 2017 at 4:52am
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
Tilltech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tilltech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 5:17am
Originally posted by PetrolHead PetrolHead wrote:

Do you mean mITX boards? 

WTF?

I specifically mentioned mATX multiple times, what's wrong with you, functional illiteracy?

Edited by Tilltech - 23 Jul 2017 at 5:20am
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 6:04am
Just making sure, based on your (now removed) signature and the fan connector part, but you're essentially right, I did read through your hastily. It's a valid question. Why do none of the mATX  boards with four DIMM slots have both WiFi and Realtek ALC1220 as well? After all, ASRock already has mITX boards with both. If you want to be an optimist, ASRock's mATX "flagship" at the moment still has room for improvement, so maybe they'll release something like Taichi mATX or Fatal1ty mATX down the road. If not, then for some reason ASRock just doesn't deem it worth the effort. Maybe there's just more market potential with the mITX boards.

Edited by PetrolHead - 23 Jul 2017 at 7:07am
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
Tilltech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tilltech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 7:03am
I thought the mATX cases like the fantastic Define Mini C sold extremely well, so it doesn't really make sense.

I think more people own mATX cases than mITX at this point.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 8:37am
Originally posted by Tilltech Tilltech wrote:

Originally posted by PetrolHead PetrolHead wrote:

Do you mean mITX boards? 

WTF?

I specifically mentioned mATX multiple times, what's wrong with you, functional illiteracy?

Do you really think that is an appropriate response to someone that sincerely tried to answer your question? And then responded to your insult with another thoughtful post?

I know that it isn't.

Tilltech, I'll remember that name...
Tilltech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tilltech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 6:17pm
Nice useless post you got there!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic