ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taichi XMP no longer working

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Headayx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taichi XMP no longer working
    Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 10:30am
Hello everyone,
I used to have my f4-3200c14d-32gtz (G.skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3200MHz) RAM working at XMP settings stably on both 2.40 and 3.00 on my X370 Taichi. Unfortunately, it suddenly stopped working after cold boots a few days ago. Basically if I OC and warm boot, it will run fine; but as soon as I cold boot, it will go into this loop of restarting less and less abruptly and after maybe 7 reboots it will boot at stock settings. I tried lowering the frequency: 3066 MHz will have the same issues; 2933 works. I also tried raising SOC voltage to 1.15V and DDR voltage to 1.40V but neither helped. I also tried all configurations of stock/OC CPU and RAM, and basically, it will happen independently of the CPU OC. What confuses me is that it worked fine for a few days on 2.40 and 3.00 and broke a couple days after the 3.00 update. Is there any way of touching the boot DDR voltage on the Taichi ? Seems to me like it would solve the issue seeing as it's one of the rare things I can see justifying why warm booting works fine but not cold booting. Note that I basically did not touch the hardware at all since setting up this computer, so I'm not sure reseating the DIMM would help. Or is this something else entirely ? Thanks for your help.

PS: I'd have trouble seeing how moving the RAM to A1+B1 will help seeing as it worked for a bit in A2+B2, unless 1.0.0.6a broke something (and the truth is, I'm reticent to move RAM to A1 given that I'm using a Noctua D15 so I simply wouldn't have clearance to have the second fan, and my temps are already pretty hot compared to some at 72C under OCCT Linpack or Prime95 at 3.8GHz@1.3V). 

PPS: The advanced training thingy is disabled, and I tried disabling fast startup in Windows but it didn't help.

Edited by Headayx - 23 Jul 2017 at 11:03am
Headayx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Headayx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 11:41pm
Welp I guess no one ran into this issue. The Stilt gave me a list of a few settings to tweak (ProcODT, GDM, the CR and CLDO_VDDP voltage), none of which worked unfortunately. I really can't tell if 1.0.0.6a broke something or if my mobo / RAM went defective on me. Is it even possible for ASRock to add boot voltage settings in a BIOS update ? If not, I guess next time I should do my homework better when purchasing a motherboard as the fact it warm boots fine and the C6H people with a boot voltage setting not having the issue really seems to be pointing towards that being the culprit. 

Edited by Headayx - 26 Jul 2017 at 1:30am
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 12:33am
sorry missed first post

my taichi plays around similar

the ram is gskill cl15 tridentz
it will not cold boot at cl14 whatever i try, yet will reboot/warm boot fine

my story is very much the hare and tortoise

from day one in early april on all bios my ram set xmp to 3200 fine
yet i cannot get timings better or speed higher with any later bios unlike some guys who now rock 3400-3600 speeds

i seem to be the hare that actually lost the race haha
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Headayx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Headayx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 3:45am
Update if someone else runs into this: turning on the advanced boot training (or rather, setting it to auto) fixed the issue and I can now run my RAM at XMP settings (3200 14-14-14-34-48) (or so it seems for now).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic