ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - B350M Pro4 - Cannot Detect M2  bios update 3.00
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

B350M Pro4 - Cannot Detect M2 bios update 3.00

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuckyG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B350M Pro4 - Cannot Detect M2 bios update 3.00
    Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 6:41am
I have an ASRock B350M Pro4. My Samsung M2 nvme 960 evo 500gb cannot be detected in the bios after an update to bios 3.00. I tried rolling back to bios 2.50 but the drive still can't be detected. Anyone have any tips on what I could try next?

TIA.

Edited by LuckyG - 24 Jul 2017 at 6:46am
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 7:37am
LuckyG, if the 960 EVO is plugged into the Ultra M.2 socket (closes to processor) and is parallel to the board, then either the 960 is bad or the MB is bad.  Hopefully you can get a friend to lend you a 960 and/or allow you to plug your 960 into their MB.  If not your only choices may be to RMA the 960, then the board if the first does not fix it.  Have you tried loading W10 into your system?  If you can, this should tell you the rest of your system is OK or not.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
LuckyG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuckyG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 8:32am
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

LuckyG, if the 960 EVO is plugged into the Ultra M.2 socket (closes to processor) and is parallel to the board, then either the 960 is bad or the MB is bad.  Hopefully you can get a friend to lend you a 960 and/or allow you to plug your 960 into their MB.  If not your only choices may be to RMA the 960, then the board if the first does not fix it.  Have you tried loading W10 into your system?  If you can, this should tell you the rest of your system is OK or not.  Enjoy, John.

Thanks. I guess I might have to order a spare 960 and see if it works. The weird thing is this system has been running fine for about 2 months. It survived the bios 2.50 upgrade. The m2 drive was working until I upgraded to bios 3.00 and won't show up in the bios anymore.
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 9:01am
Thanks, LuckyG, that is very important information (fine before BIOS update) to know.  Bios 3.00 should not have caused you any trouble.  Did you do a Load UEFI Defaults (F9) after the upgrade?  Please open your BIOS and hit F9 then Save and Exit.  Let us know what transpires.  It seems very low probability that updating the BIOS coincided with your 960 dying.  There should be no reason you cannot update to 3.00.  Buying a new 960 is premature right now.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
LuckyG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuckyG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 10:28am

Thanks, LuckyG, that is very important information (fine before BIOS update) to know.  Bios 3.00 should not have caused you any trouble.  Did you do a Load UEFI Defaults (F9) after the upgrade?  Please open your BIOS and hit F9 then Save and Exit.  Let us know what transpires.  It seems very low probability that updating the BIOS coincided with your 960 dying.  There should be no reason you cannot update to 3.00.  Buying a new 960 is premature right now.  Enjoy, John.

I reloaded the UEFI defaults but the drive is still not detected. Also, I tried rolling back through the available bioses (2.10, 2.40,2.50) with no luck.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 10:50am
Originally posted by LuckyG LuckyG wrote:

I have an ASRock B350M Pro4. My Samsung M2 nvme 960 evo 500gb cannot be detected in the bios after an update to bios 3.00. I tried rolling back to bios 2.50 but the drive still can't be detected. Anyone have any tips on what I could try next?

TIA.

I assume your 960 EVO is in the M2_1 slot.

So the 960 EVO now cannot be detected when using both the 3.00 and 2.50 UEFI versions. I think MisterJ missed that point in your first post. You applied 3.00, the SSD was no longer recognized, you changed to 2.50, and it was still not recognized.

I've used a 500GB 960 EVO with my ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac board from the first time I used the board with a now old 1.60 UEFI version. I've applied multiple UEFI updates and never lost detection of it.

I assume it is your OS drive? Did you happen to have any UEFI options like CSM, or the CSM sub-option, Launch Storage OpROM Policy configured from their default settings?

So the 960 EVO is not shown in the Storage Configuration screen, or in the Boot order?

Was this SSD working fine before it disappeared? Did you happen to check its temperature with any monitoring software when you were using it?

About all I can suggest is removing power from the board completely by turning off the PSU and unplugging it from AC power for several minutes. You could also try removing this SSD from its slot and insert it again.

Given what I have seen in various forums, the 960 EVO seems to have more user failure issues than other Samsung products, that are normally very reliable. If possible, it would be good to try that SSD in another board as a test. Your board's M2_2 slot will only work with SATA M.2 SSDs, so cannot be used to test an NVMe SSD.
LuckyG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuckyG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 11:05am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

I assume your 960 EVO is in the M2_1 slot.

So the 960 EVO now cannot be detected when using both the 3.00 and 2.50 UEFI versions. I think MisterJ missed that point in your first post. You applied 3.00, the SSD was no longer recognized, you changed to 2.50, and it was still not recognized.

I've used a 500GB 960 EVO with my ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac board from the first time I used the board with a now old 1.60 UEFI version. I've applied multiple UEFI updates and never lost detection of it.

I assume it is your OS drive? Did you happen to have any UEFI options like CSM, or the CSM sub-option, Launch Storage OpROM Policy configured from their default settings?

Yes, then NVME was my OS drive. I left all the CSM configurations default because the drive had issues being detected if I disabled CSM or messed with the options.

So the 960 EVO is not shown in the Storage Configuration screen, or in the Boot order?

The 960 did not show in either the storage configuration or boot order after the bios update.

Was this SSD working fine before it disappeared? Did you happen to check its temperature with any monitoring software when you were using it?

Yes, everything was working fine for 2 months prior to the bios update. I have temps on the CPU/MOBO and both are pretty stable. I didn't know that i possible need a fan blowing over the SSD.
This was my first true cold boot in a while since usually the system woke up from sleep mode.

About all I can suggest is removing power from the board completely by turning off the PSU and unplugging it from AC power for several minutes. You could also try removing this SSD from its slot and insert it again.

I tried removing the drive, unplugging the PSU and leaving the build alone for a couple hours then reinstalling everything with no changes.

Given what I have seen in various forums, the 960 EVO seems to have more user failure issues than other Samsung products, that are normally very reliable. If possible, it would be good to try that SSD in another board as a test. Your board's M2_2 slot will only work with SATA M.2 SSDs, so cannot be used to test an NVMe SSD.

Thanks for your detailed response. I have another M2 NVME drive on the way so we'll see if the swap out works. 

Edited by LuckyG - 24 Jul 2017 at 7:07pm
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 2:22am
There seems to be a rash of reports of failure of the B350 boards to detect the M2 Ultra socket with SSD.  I suggest one or more of you need to open a ticket with ASRock.  Most if not all of us replying here are users not ASRock people.  This is starting to look like a fundamental problem with the MB.  Enjoy, John.
LuckyG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuckyG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 6:02am

There seems to be a rash of reports of failure of the B350 boards to detect the M2 Ultra socket with SSD.  I suggest one or more of you need to open a ticket with ASRock.  Most if not all of us replying here are users not ASRock people.  This is starting to look like a fundamental problem with the MB.  Enjoy, John.

Yep, unless my 960 PRO is DOA looks like this might be a mobo issue. I'm was hoping it wasn't because I finally have everything fit into my MATX case how I liked it and didn't want to redo it all. Guess i need to find the support link and see what they say.
LuckyG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuckyG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2017 at 8:38pm
In a weird turn of events, I shutdown the CPU and unplugged the PSU overnight. This morning the drive is miraculously detected again. I'm hoping the system stays stable.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic