ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Updating bios with or without a working CPU

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote braccos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Updating bios with or without a working CPU
    Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 11:11pm
Finally I found that one reason why my new ASROCK AB350 PRO4 is not working may be the old bios which is not supported by the CPU (RAYZEN 1600X) (I have a 5 beeps).
It absolutely make sense, but I'm wondering which are the alternatives to have an upgrade of the Bios without looking for another supported CPU and with having a non supported CPU.
Also, having been bought last week, I would expected to find a more recent bios.

Any suggestion? I found that apparently there is no way to do it only via a USB stick, that I may change the chip (but I didn't find anybody going this way and any explaination).

The Motherboard is still under maintenance... Being just three days old.

Thanks for any good answer.

S
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by braccos braccos wrote:

Finally I found that one reason why my new ASROCK AB350 PRO4 is not working may be the old bios which is not supported by the CPU (RAYZEN 1600X) (I have a 5 beeps).
It absolutely make sense, but I'm wondering which are the alternatives to have an upgrade of the Bios without looking for another supported CPU and with having a non supported CPU.
Also, having been bought last week, I would expected to find a more recent bios.

Any suggestion? I found that apparently there is no way to do it only via a USB stick, that I may change the chip (but I didn't find anybody going this way and any explaination).

The Motherboard is still under maintenance... Being just three days old.

Thanks for any good answer.

S

According to the CPU support list for your board, the board should boot with a Ryzen 5 processor with any UEFI/BIOS version:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350%20Pro4/index.asp#CPU

We have not had other Ryzen 5 users unable to use that processor without a particular UEFI/BIOS version.

You are correct that it is impossible to update the UEFI/BIOS without a working processor in the board.

What UEFI version does your board have? The version is printed on a sticker on the UEFI chip. It looks like your board's UEFI chip is just above the PCIE1 slot.

It seems you have another problem causing the CPU to not start. Do you have both the 24 pin ATX and 4/8 pin CPU power cables from the PSU connected to the board? Both are required.

braccos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote braccos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 11:42pm
Dear Parsec,

indeed I have both the 24 and 8 Pin connectors plugged in correctly (I even had doubts that one was not working, and I tested each pin separately disconnecgted from the MoBo, so I can exclude the power supply).
The version seems to be 1.30 from the sticker. Instead the http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350%20Pro4/index.us.asp#CPU says I will need P2.20 as a minimum. Which the reason why I was suggested to upgrade.
Is it really possible that because of this the CPU is not recognized, the MoBo will start hanging?
I was really tempted to order another MoBo due to the frustration, but I thought would have been better to ask.

Thanks again for any help.
S.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 12:29am
from what ive read

earlier bios on all brands can BOOT with ryzen 5 (it is afterall just a gimped ryzen7)
but to make the most use of the ryzen 5 the later bios is advised

eg it should boot but may run a bit less 'slick' until later bios explains to the board how to use the ryzen 5 better

it is far more common /usual
for this to be a ram issue
try these steps
make sure ram is in slot a2 and b2 and reseat it nicely (some slots require more effort to seat ram correctly than you may be used to)

if no joy
try just one stick in a2
no joy try one stick in a1
if you have 2 stick change it and try the other stick in a2

still no luck can you beg borrow or steal another brand of ram to test

early bios is a real pain with ram brands and models

if you can get it to boot with borrowed ram and flash bios you may well find your new ram will work then

when testing trying to get first boot disconnect anything that isnt vital
eg hard drives etc

lets just try to get a bios screen to start with
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic