ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

UEFI Bug CSM = disabled > cant load OC Profile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoneCrusherXes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UEFI Bug CSM = disabled > cant load OC Profile
    Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 11:13pm
There is a bug in the current UEFI for AM4 thats makes it impossible to use the OC Twekaer to load OC User Profiles or UEFI defaults once CSM is disabled.

A little more detailed:
-I go to Boot > CSM  and set it to "Disabled"
-after that i save and reboot, the compatibility support module is disabled now
-I enter the UEFI again, go to OC Tweaker > Load User Default

At this point the UEFI freezes, no more response from mouse&keyboard.

It might be worth noting that its also impossible to load UEFI defaults with CSM disbaled.

I have noticed this behaviour on the Gaming K4 (UEFI 2.40 & 2.50) but also on the Taichi (UEFI 3.00).
So i guess even more boards are affected by this bug that has been aroung for some months now ans is still not fixed.
Would be great if this could be comfirmed an forwarded to ASRock

Edited by BoneCrusherXes - 26 Jul 2017 at 12:16am
ASRock X370 Taichi, AMD Ryzen 7 1700X @ 3,9 , Noctua NH-D15
2x16GB G.Skill F4-3200C14D-32GTZ @3200 14-13-13-26-42 1T GearDown Enabled
MSI Geforce GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G
Trender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 1:27am
Same on X370 Killer SLI
BoneCrusherXes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoneCrusherXes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by Trender Trender wrote:

Same on X370 Killer SLI

thanks Trender, which UEFI version do you use?

so there are at least 3 boards affected, anyone else who can confim this issue?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 11:52pm
I have noticed this behavior myself, since I always have CSM disabled. X370 Killer SLI/ac.

But in my experience it does not happen all the time. Also, what I experience seems to be different than your description.

When I do have this problem, and I click on the profile to load, the screen goes black. Sometimes after that, the screen remains black. In other instances, the UEFI display returns and works fine.

The best I have been able to determine so far, is this happens when my memory is over clocked. If I had cleared the UEFI/CMOS, and load a profile, it works fine. If I have a non-default profile applied, and try to load a different profile, it will either fail with a black screen that remains, or after a few seconds, the UEFI display returns.

Regardless, this is an issue. I will pass this on to ASRock, but you could also create a support request by clicking the Support link at the top of the main ASRock mother board page, and then click on the Contact Technical Support link. ASRock's USA Tech support page is here:

http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoneCrusherXes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 7:48pm
Thats intersting parsec. Every time i tried i encountered the same behaviour. Also it did not make a difference if i used oc or not.

Thanks for the link i sent a report to ASRock concerning that issue.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoneCrusherXes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2017 at 9:27pm
I have reported the issue to ASRock and the forwarded the issue.
They also asked me to test if the problem also shows up with custom timings and XMP disabled, and indeed i only get this problem when XMP is enabled. The timings do not seem to make a difference.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoneCrusherXes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 3:28am
I have been in contact with support concerning this issue.
They think it is a problem caused by ram OC, but for me the problem is present even with XMP enabled and speed set to auto / 2133.
This makes me think its caused by sth. else in the system like my Samung 950 Pro SSD NVME M2 SSD.
Anyone of you using a NVME M2 SSD aswell?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 11:42am
Originally posted by BoneCrusherXes BoneCrusherXes wrote:

I have been in contact with support concerning this issue.
They think it is a problem caused by ram OC, but for me the problem is present even with XMP enabled and speed set to auto / 2133.
This makes me think its caused by sth. else in the system like my Samung 950 Pro SSD NVME M2 SSD.
Anyone of you using a NVME M2 SSD aswell?

Yes, I am using a Samsung 960 EVO in my X370 Killer SLI/ac board. I am curious why you think, if this is the case, that an NVMe drive is the cause? Or possibly the NVMe driver?

Are you using the Ultra Fast setting of the Fast Boot option? I have used the Ultra Fast setting, but normally don't. Another question, do you have AM4 Advance Boot Training set to disabled?

I've been installing Windows with CSM disabled for years now, with both SATA and NVMe SSDs. The NVMe drives include Samsung and Intel (950 Pros and 960 EVOs, Intel 750 and 600p), all used as the OS drive. One difference is all of the other PC use Intel chipset boards.

I have never experienced the problem with loading a UEFI profile on any of the other Intel PCs/boards, with CSM disabled. I just had it happen again a few days ago on the X370 board, where loading a profile results in a black screen that never recovers. Instead after pressing the Reset button to get back into the UEFI, I simply changed the UEFI options manually to equal those in the profile, and clicked Save and Exit, which worked fine.

I have seen another issue with the X370 board that only occurs when the memory is over clocked. That is the ASRock Restart to UEFI utilty does not work. That never happens on any of the Intel PCs, all with over clocked memory. If the memory in the X370 PC is not over clocked, the Restart to UEFI program works fine. If the memory is over clocked, upon restarting via Restart to UEFI, the PC just restarts to Windows without entering the UEFI UI. As I said, I've never had that happen with any other board, with any type of drives, under any circumstances.

One strange side affect of using Restart to UEFI with the X370 board, is if I also press the Del key while the PC restarts, I will go into the UEFI UI. If I just adjust some options (no profile loading) and then click Save and Exit, the PC will shut off and stay off. Turning off after adjusting some CPU related options is not unheard of, but the PC would always restart automatically after that. That does not happen with my X370 board. Also, the X370 board never temporarily shuts off after changing any UEFI options, outside of the situation when using Restart to UEFI but also pressing the Del key.

The Restart to UEFI program is based on a feature MSoft added with Windows 8, the ability to restart the PC directly into the UEFI/BIOS interface. I thought that the failure of that to work with the X370 board was related to Ryzen, or the UEFI/BIOS itself. How this feature works exactly, I don't understand.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoneCrusherXes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 5:24pm
I only suspect the NVME SSD because its the piece of hardware in my pc that is most likely to be the cause, aside from any combination of uefi settings of course. :)

I dont use fast boot or ultra fast boot. AM4 boot training is enabled.

The problem must be somewhere with memory OC and Boot Training or anything set by the uefi during boot, because so far the freezes (in my case) only happen if XMP is enabled (timings do not seem to matter) .
But if i disable CSM + enable XMP (so the system freezes every time on profile load) if i now:
boot > enter uefi > go to "exit" > discard changes > go to "OC Tweaker" and load profile
it works fine.
I do not need to save changes after "discard changes" or anything, just discard and it works. So the uefi must set something during boot (or boot training) that breaks the profile load.

But the whole training thing is a little like a blackbox for me. I dont know what it exactly does, or which settings it influences. I have tried numerous times to set all timings manually but it does not work for me. I can set the main timings manually and it works fine, but if i try to set all timings manually the system wont boot, even if i set the exact same timings the auto/training has set.

I cant say anything about the UEFI Utility, i never used it.
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 9:28am
matricks, I recommend opening a ticket with ASRock TSD.  I saw the same on my X370FPG.  Please let us hear what you learn.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic