ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 Taichi - M2 Ultra

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X399 Taichi - M2 Ultra
    Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 6:36am
Hello.  I'm finally going to upgrage my trusty old Asrock Fatal1ty Pro Z77 to X399 Taichi and plonk a nice new Threadripper in it.   However, with my Z77, I run 11 HDDs - 10 SATA and one using an Asmedia card in one of the two PCI slots.
I notice that for some reason both the X399 Taichi and the Fatali1ty have dropped SATA sockets down from 10 to 8 (can still get 10 on the new Ryzen boards).  Therefore, to host my 11 drives with only 8 sockets I'm going to have to use one of the two PCI slots (same as the Z77) and then I still need 2 more sockets.

I'm thinking I can use *this* adapter in two of the M2 Ultra sockets but I don't know for sure if I can.   It's on Amazon and is quite inexpensive.  Can anyone confirm that the M2 Ultra sockets are compatible with this adapter and thus I can run the additional HDD's from two of the 3 sockets on the board?  Thanks in advance :)

This is a SATA adapter from M.2 Socket. This module allows you connect any SATA device to M.2 slot through a standard SATA port. SATA interface supports standard SATA 7pin data signals. Specifications Standard SATA interface adapter from M.2 Socket 2 slot for SATA SSD Compliant with PCIe M.2 Specification Rev 0.7 Can replace NGFF Size: TYPE 2242,Type 2260,Type 2280 Module Key : B+M (Both Key B and Key M) Interface : Standard SATA 7pin Connector Compliant with Serial ATA Revision 3.1 ? Micro SATA Cables PN # M2-845-SATA

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 10:58am
Originally posted by thang thang wrote:

Hello.  I'm finally going to upgrage my trusty old Asrock Fatal1ty Pro Z77 to X399 Taichi and plonk a nice new Threadripper in it.   However, with my Z77, I run 11 HDDs - 10 SATA and one using an Asmedia card in one of the two PCI slots.
I notice that for some reason both the X399 Taichi and the Fatali1ty have dropped SATA sockets down from 10 to 8 (can still get 10 on the new Ryzen boards).  Therefore, to host my 11 drives with only 8 sockets I'm going to have to use one of the two PCI slots (same as the Z77) and then I still need 2 more sockets.

I'm thinking I can use *this* adapter in two of the M2 Ultra sockets but I don't know for sure if I can.   It's on Amazon and is quite inexpensive.  Can anyone confirm that the M2 Ultra sockets are compatible with this adapter and thus I can run the additional HDD's from two of the 3 sockets on the board?  Thanks in advance :)

This is a SATA adapter from M.2 Socket. This module allows you connect any SATA device to M.2 slot through a standard SATA port. SATA interface supports standard SATA 7pin data signals. Specifications Standard SATA interface adapter from M.2 Socket 2 slot for SATA SSD Compliant with PCIe M.2 Specification Rev 0.7 Can replace NGFF Size: TYPE 2242,Type 2260,Type 2280 Module Key : B+M (Both Key B and Key M) Interface : Standard SATA 7pin Connector Compliant with Serial ATA Revision 3.1 ? Micro SATA Cables PN # M2-845-SATA

The best I can tell you is that all three of the X399 Taichi board's M.2 slots support SATA M.2 SSDs.

If that adapter card simply connects the SATA data connections, as it states it does, then it should work. I have never used one of these adapters, and don't know of anyone that has used them, so I cannot tell you with absolute certainty that they will work. You will still need to connect power to the SATA drives connected to the PC with this adapter. Since this board is so new, very few if anyone has them currently, so the number of people with this board and using this adapter will be very, very small, or none.

You also mention using ASMedia SATA card in a "PCI slot". I hope you meant PCIe slots, since the X399 Taichi does not have any PCI slots.

Jm62383 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jm62383 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 12:24pm
Why not just get a 4 port pcie to sata III card?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic