ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Media&User's Review > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

BIOS does not detect fans

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixsetup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BIOS does not detect fans
    Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 9:10pm
Hi there I have a 990fx extreme9.
In the BIOS it shows the CPU fan which my water cooling pump is connected to.
All other fans are not being detected.
As a result the AXTU software does not detect them either

Other fans are radiator fans connected to a hub which is connected to the Chassis Fan header.

Antec Spot Cool 100 to cool VRM is connected to the power fan connector(which is not listed on the AXTU software).

Any idea why the BIOS does not detect the other fans?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by mixsetup mixsetup wrote:

Hi there I have a 990fx extreme9.
In the BIOS it shows the CPU fan which my water cooling pump is connected to.
All other fans are not being detected.
As a result the AXTU software does not detect them either

Other fans are radiator fans connected to a hub which is connected to the Chassis Fan header.

Antec Spot Cool 100 to cool VRM is connected to the power fan connector(which is not listed on the AXTU software).

Any idea why the BIOS does not detect the other fans?

Your fan hub has connections for more than one fan of course, right?

The fan speed/RPM pin on any mother board's fan header is only capable of reading/receiving and reporting the speed of one fan. So even if the fan speed of every fan connected to your fan hub was sent to the fan speed pin on the mother board header, the resulting single fan speed reading would be incorrect. The board's sensor chip is not able to sort out multiple fan speed signals sent over the same connection.

A correctly designed multiple fan hub that connects to a board with one three pin or four pin PWM cable would not send all the fan speed signals to the single fan speed pin on a board. Does the cable connecting the fan hub to the board have two, three, or four wires? Even if the cable has three or four wires, the hub itself may not be wired to send even one RPM signal to the board.

What fan hub are you using?

Since the Power Fan header cannot control the speed of a fan, and supplies a full 12V to the fan at all times, the fan speed/RPM pin on that header is not used, sorry to say.
mixsetup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixsetup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 9:57am
Hi there one fan is an Antec Spot Cool 100 connected straight to the MB.
Which is not detected.
The other 3 radiator fans are all connected to a hub looks like this one I found here but it's not, can't remember what kind just some generic thing.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx%3FItem=N82E16882422016&cm_re=fan_hub_4_pin-_-82-422-016-_-Product

I thought at least the Spot Cool should show up as it is not connected to the hub.
Thanks

Edited by mixsetup - 02 Sep 2017 at 10:07am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 11:35am
Originally posted by mixsetup mixsetup wrote:

Hi there one fan is an Antec Spot Cool 100 connected straight to the MB.
Which is not detected.
The other 3 radiator fans are all connected to a hub looks like this one I found here but it's not, can't remember what kind just some generic thing.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx%3FItem=N82E16882422016&cm_re=fan_hub_4_pin-_-82-422-016-_-Product

I thought at least the Spot Cool should show up as it is not connected to the hub.
Thanks

After checking your board's specs, it seems the Power Fan header can read and output the speed of a fan. Unless that is a mistake, since it also mentions speed control, which does not apply to the Power Fan header.

The best I can tell when I check pictures of the Spot Cool 100 is that it does have a three wire cable to its fan header connector. You can check if it has three or two wires running to the connector. If it only has two, it won't send a speed/RPM signal to the board.

I also see that the Spot Cool 100 has two modes of operation, one is full speed mode, the other temperature controlled. Maybe one of the modes does not send a fans speed signal, and the other does.

You could always try connection a standard PC fan to the Power Fan header, and see if you get an RPM reading.

Your link to the fan hub does not work.
mixsetup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixsetup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 11:47am
Thanks I will try the Spot Cool in the different modes and I'll try just a normal fan as you said.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic