ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is Asrock RAM Compatibilty chart accurate?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaveriderHawaii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Asrock RAM Compatibilty chart accurate?
    Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 5:38pm
Hello. I have an Asrock Z270 Extreme 4. I bought G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 2800 (PC4 22400) F4-2800C15D-16GVRB. According to G.Skills site. https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2800c15d-16gvrb, this RAM is compatible with the Z270 Extreme 4 and that's why i bought it. I just checked Asrock's memory chart for the Z270 Extreme 4, and these modules aren't listed http://www.asrock.com.tw/mb/Intel/Z270%20Extreme4/index.asp#Memory/

Been having some memory problems where it isn't passing Memtest 86 (booted from USB) with both modules installed and even with both of them installed singularly. The same thing occurs with Windows Memory Diagnostic. I am getting BSOD's a couple times a day such as FAULTY_HARDWARE_CORRUPTED_PAGE, SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION, DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER, PFN_LIST_CORRUPT. Since this is using Win 10, there are no stop codes. Here's a whole bunch of pictures I took w/ cell phone. https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipOveMZOf_5ahOdDZWfrSSM5YiGs1x_wNpszb5ue

I purchased the main board, RAM, a new heatsink, and a 7700K. Using my old PSU (Enermax Liberty Eco 720W) and my old GTX 660 MSI Twin Frozr. Fresh install of Windows 10 on a brand new 120 GB SSD. Updated all drivers with Driver Booster, which I quickly uninstalled and manually clicked on EVERY single thing in device manager and made sure they were updated. Took a looooooooooong time. However, drivers don't explain the RAM failure that occurred in the tests booted from USB.

The reason I am questioning the reliability of Asrock's compatibility chart is that there is no Mushkin or PNY RAM that is listed as compatible. I find that odd. as well as the discrepancy with G.Skill's site.

I want to return the RAM to Newegg but I am not sure if I should get the same ones since they are not listed as compatible by Asrock even though G.Skill says they are. Is their compatibility chart accurate or should I trust G.Skill over them? Should i get different modules? Help. :-)
WaveriderHawaii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaveriderHawaii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 5:51pm
Oh yea, it failed Prime 95 as well as IntelBurnTest. I RAN these tests a lot like 8 times each software. Took a couple of days. At times it does pass them, but fails like 6-7 out of 8 times. Temperatures were good for a 7700K. About 75C Max. Right now when i am doing noting all the cores are at like 34C. Playing Starcraft 2, which is the heaviest thing I do, it gets up to like 54C. I have a really good cooler, the Scythe Fuma, so heat isn't an issue. 7700K is at stock speeds.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 8:50pm
If G.Skill says it is compatible, it is. ASRock's QVL is only a listing of what they, ASRock, hand on hand in-house, and the not a complete list. Just what they tested. Always always look at the mem manuf's site.

You don't say, is this with the mem running @ 2800? My guess it is.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 10:03pm
Like Wardog said, generally RAM manufacturers have a more complete list of compatible products. 

Bare in mind that for ????? RAM manufacturer to test all their kits on a particular set of motherboards is much easier than a motherboard manufacturer trying to get their hands on samples of every memory model from every RAM manufacturer in existence. There are only so many motherboard designs and in many situations if it works on say a Pro4 it will work on a Pro4s as well as any other boards that share similar components. RAM on the other hand, there are countless models from a large number of manufacturers.

If you are getting BSODs then RMA the RAM, by the sound of your problem it would seem you have a bad kit. 
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 10:31pm
If the memory is not passing Memtest or the Windows Memory Diagnostic, that is the sign of one or more bad DIMMs. That is a sure sign it is time to RMA.

If you were over clocking the memory beyond its rated 2800 speed, then the errors could be caused by the OC.

Compatibility problems are shown by the memory not being able to pass POST, and the PC won't boot the OS. Or the memory only being able to operate at its default speed, which is never the advertised OC speed.

Memory is not compatible with a mother board, it is compatible with the memory controller that is part of the CPU in both AMD and Intel processors. Yes, the UEFI/BIOS of a board plays a role in compatibility, but the main aspect of compatibility is between the memory chips and the memory controller.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaveriderHawaii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 2:56am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

If G.Skill says it is compatible, it is. ASRock's QVL is only a listing of what they, ASRock, hand on hand in-house, and the not a complete list. Just what they tested. Always always look at the mem manuf's site. You don't say, is this with the mem running @ 2800? My guess it is.

Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Like Wardog said, generally RAM manufacturers have a more complete list of compatible products. 

Bare in mind that for ????? RAM manufacturer to test all their kits on a particular set of motherboards is much easier than a motherboard manufacturer trying to get their hands on samples of every memory model from every RAM manufacturer in existence. There are only so many motherboard designs and in many situations if it works on say a Pro4 it will work on a Pro4s as well as any other boards that share similar components. RAM on the other hand, there are countless models from a large number of manufacturers.

If you are getting BSODs then RMA the RAM, by the sound of your problem it would seem you have a bad kit. 

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

If the memory is not passing Memtest or the Windows Memory Diagnostic, that is the sign of one or more bad DIMMs. That is a sure sign it is time to RMA. If you were over clocking the memory beyond its rated 2800 speed, then the errors could be caused by the OC.

Compatibility problems are shown by the memory not being able to pass POST, and the PC won't boot the OS. Or the memory only being able to operate at its default speed, which is never the advertised OC speed.

Memory is not compatible with a mother board, it is compatible with the memory controller that is part of the CPU in both AMD and Intel processors. Yes, the UEFI/BIOS of a board plays a role in compatibility, but the main aspect of compatibility is between the memory chips and the memory controller.

Mahalo guys for all your help. That's kinda what I wanted to hear as I got a fairly good price by today's standards on that RAM. I called Newegg today and they were very helpful. They actually are sending me out a new main board, RAM, and CPU. Can't believe they are doing that, but I am very happy.

I have run the memory at default speed as well as 2800MHZ through XMP, and the results are similar - sometimes passing, but mostly not. Nothing is overclocked.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 3:37pm
That is great to hear, it's always nice when a store takes care of you!

Let us know how it goes Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaveriderHawaii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

That is great to hear, it's always nice when a store takes care of you!

Let us know how it goes Wink

Thanks Xaltar. I explained to their tech support that the memory tested bad via software, so they agreed to RMA the RAM. I told them that a software test is pretty accurate, but there's still a chance that something on the main board could cause a software test failure. They agreed and decided to replace the main board and RAM. I also said there is a slim chance that the CPU itself could cause a software test failure. So for customer satisfaction, they decided to replace all 3 parts. Very satisfied with Newegg.

And yes I will come back to let you all know how it went. Actually when I was on the phone with them I bought another single 8GB stick of the same RAM so that I will have 24GB. I do competitive Photoshopping and 16GB isn't enough as I have been maxing it out all the time. My last system, a 2500K, had 24GB and that was fine. So when the new 8GB comes in, I will see if that fixes the problem. If it does, all I have to do is exchange the RAM, and if it doesn't, I will have to send in the other stuff too. Mahalo again brother (or sister). Clap

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic