ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x370 K4 eol

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troublemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x370 K4 eol
    Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 5:36pm
Yestarday I found out that my board became EOL before 2 month!! Why is that?? I asked support why EOL, is everything OK with the board, they told me this (some generic answer):

Dear Sir,
It is OK with X370 Gaming K4.

What about future updates?? Will Asrock offer refund for this?? This is a complete disaster, I bought this board and it is already out of production!!!

Edited by troublemaker - 16 Aug 2017 at 6:05pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 6:22pm
EOL is referencing manufacture only, not support. Your board will be supported the same as any other AM4 board from ASRock. 

As far as I know, the board ended production because of a component supply issue. Something that was used on the board was no longer available and had to be replaced with a different component. In a case like this a design change is often required, if that change is significant enough to effect the UEFI then a new board name is preferable to a "Rev 2.0" label. I can't count the number of times I have seen people brick boards because they tried to flash a "Rev 2.0" BIOS onto a Rev 1 board. Fortunately UEFI updates today by and large prevent flashing an incorrect version. 

So, short answers:

1. You will receive full support for your board.
2. There is no design flaw or fault with the board.
3. Compatibility will remain the same as with other AM4 boards

I hope that helps.
troublemaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troublemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 6:53pm
What about memory support? I have corsair memory:

http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/vengeance-lpx-16gb-2x8gb-ddr4-dram-3200mhz-c16-memory-kit-black-cmk16gx4m2b3200c16

and I see like many other I am waiting support for 3200+mhz. Will that be possible with this board? If not I will probably sell it...
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

3. Compatibility will remain the same as with other AM4 boards

In other words, if another ASRock board gets a BIOS update that adds support for RAM then so will the K4.

Edited by Xaltar - 16 Aug 2017 at 7:35pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 10:40pm
The X370 Gaming K4 has received every UEFI/BIOS update that every other ASRock AM4 board has.

It has the 3.00 update for the AMD AGESA 1.0.0.6a microcode.

It now has the 3.10 update to support the iGPU for the AMD Bristol Ridge processors. This update was released on the same day as three other ASRock AM4 boards.

It is our understanding that the production of the Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 was stopped because some of the components used by this board are no longer available, or available at a price that allows this board to be sold at its intended price point.

Also, this board is very similar to the X370 Killer SLI, but has a few more features. Both boards are being sold for the same price in the USA. The marketplace determines which models are popular, and if certain models don't sell as well, they may be no longer offered for sale. But that does not mean they will not be supported.

Regarding memory compatibility, we know that is the biggest issue with Ryzen since its release. The memory controller in Ryzen processors, and the AGESA microcode, are the main determining factors for memory compatibility. If the memory chips used in a model of memory are not perfectly compatible with both of these things, nothing can be done to change that. It is impossible for us here to predict what is possible for memory speed with every model of DDR4 memory. The best source of that information is AMD.

AMD has now published their own memory support list for Ryzen, you can find here:

https://www.amd.com/system/files/2017-06/am4-motherboard-memory-support-list-en_0.pdf

chainsaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chainsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 10:50pm
if you want 3200mhz this is not the mobo for you. as parsec says the x370 killer sli is very similar but take a look and you will see the killer sli can do 3200 way more often. in fact only a handful of people have gotten 3200 on the K4. Agesa is not the be all end all for ram. example. one user pulled his CPU and ram out a K4 and put in a Gaming X with same agesa version and was able to get 3200mhz. The arguments that the cpu's memory controller is the culprit does not hold water.

Edited by chainsaw - 16 Aug 2017 at 11:06pm
ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 P3.40
AMD RYZEN 7 1700 @ 4Ghz 1.39v
Noctua NH-D15 "blocks top 1x pci-e"
16GB GSkill Ripjaw V F4-3200C16D-16GVRB @ 2933 14-15-15-15 T1 1.365v
GTX 1080 x2 Sli
troublemaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troublemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 11:40pm
I will wait for one more agesa update and than decide about selling the board. What about taichi, I see that Taichi doesn`t like that Corsair memory? On the other hand, Asus CH6 seems to have best support for that ram but I prefer Taichi because of the price...
nangu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nangu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 11:52pm
Thanks @parsec and @Xaltar for clarification.

Anyway, as a K4 user myself too, I was really sad whith the EOL on the board.

I think the same as @chainsaw, the board has some flawed design on the memory side of things. I think it based on the advertised 2900 max memory OC (while the rest of asrock's x370 lineup, even B350 boards, advertise max 3200 OC), and the fact I can reach 2933Mhz on my Gskill kit on A1/B1 slots instead the default and suggested A2/B2 configuration.

Anyway, it's great to know K4 will receive future UEFI updates as the current Asrock's motherboard's lineup. I only expect it to be really true, and support for any future AM4 Ryzen+ CPU too. 

It's a shame because aside the memory OC problem, it's a great motherboard with all the features I want and a great price too.

Cheers.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 11:38am
Originally posted by chainsaw chainsaw wrote:

if you want 3200mhz this is not the mobo for you. as parsec says the x370 killer sli is very similar but take a look and you will see the killer sli can do 3200 way more often. in fact only a handful of people have gotten 3200 on the K4. Agesa is not the be all end all for ram. example. one user pulled his CPU and ram out a K4 and put in a Gaming X with same agesa version and was able to get 3200mhz. The arguments that the cpu's memory controller is the culprit does not hold water.

Well... Ok, and this user was absolutely certain that everything else, including CPU OC, VCore, SOC, DRAM, etc, voltages were identical, as well as using the absolutely identical memory timings? What was his max memory speed in the other board, 2933?

I'm NOT saying that is impossible! It is possible, due to other factors. Such as, the quality of the DIMM slots for example, or the routing of the circuit traces between the DIMM slot and CPU socket. Other boards don't have the same SOC voltage settings, or the same VRM design for the SOC voltage. Those last two things do NOT apply in your example, but the others might.

The memory controller situation is not what happened in your example. The memory controller's potential to OC can be different between different examples of the same CPU model. We can only guess that the IMC is not that good when a memory OC fails. Move the CPU to another board, and it can reach a higher memory OC. That seems to show the IMC is better than we thought, and is the only way we have to test it. Does that prove the other board is better? At the level of access to technical details that we as users have, unfortunately the answer is yes.

Did you notice that the specs for the Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 has the maximum memory OC as 2933? For the X370 Killer SLI, it is 3200.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20X370%20Gaming%20K4/index.asp#Specification

Consider attempting to answer the question, "My 3200 speed memory only reaches 2933, what is wrong?". That's all you have to work with. The question is not what can I possibly do to reach a higher memory OC, but what is the fix that will run it at 3200? Meaning it is a given that it will run at 3200, and all that is needed is for me to tell them what to do.
chainsaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chainsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 12:44pm
@parsec i think you or wardog help that user on here. dimondcrusher i think was the user. yes the k4 has a max of 2933 and the killer sli is 3200 that is why i said this is not the mobo for him if he wants 3200mhz. looking at the Memory QVL of both the k4 and killer sli. they seem to be the same with max of 3066mhz. not sure if that mean much looking at the B350 gaming k4 and it has 3466mhz on the list.
ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 P3.40
AMD RYZEN 7 1700 @ 4Ghz 1.39v
Noctua NH-D15 "blocks top 1x pci-e"
16GB GSkill Ripjaw V F4-3200C16D-16GVRB @ 2933 14-15-15-15 T1 1.365v
GTX 1080 x2 Sli
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic