ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac - No POST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoonerLater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac - No POST
    Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 1:24am
My ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac motherboard will not POST. At least, I hear nothing and see nothing on my HDMI monitor when I turn it on. All fans spin, the mobo LEDs glow (see below) and the LED in the CPU cooler glows, but there is no other signs of life. 

For troubleshooting, I have disconnected everything from the motherboard except power to the motherboard itself and power to the case fans and the Corsair H100i radiator cooling system (http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hydro-series-h100i-extreme-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler).

My HDMI monitor is connected via the onboard HDMI connection. No video card is presently installed. The monitor and cable both work perfectly with another computer.

My ram (Corsair CMK16GX4M2Z2400C16) is approved by ASRock (http://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X370%20Killer%20SLIac/index.us.asp#Memory) and by AMD (https://www.amd.com/system/files/2017-06/am4-motherboard-memory-support-list-en_0.pdf). I have tried two sticks (which is all I have) in A2 and B2, two sticks in A1 and A2, two in B1 and B2, one stick only in A2 and one only in B2. According to this sticky post http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp%3FTID=4565&title=am4-ryzen-specific-memory-and-tips when using two sicks, they go in A2 and B2 only. According to the manual (http://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X370%20Killer%20SLIac/index.us.asp#Manual) if using only one sitck, it goes in A2. I've tried both sticks (one at a time) in A2. When installing RAM, I have applied support to the back of the motherboard when inserting RAM to be as sure as possible that the DIMM is 100% fully seated in the slot. 

My CPU is an AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Processor (YD170XBCAEWOF).

My power supply is a EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2, 80+ GOLD 650W (220-G2-0650-Y1).

When I power on the unit, the LEDs on the motherboard (under the shielding over the AMD Promontory X370 chipset) briefly are green, then switch to a slow pulsing red (heartbeat?). 

There are no beeps when the unit is powered on. No beeps are produced by the monitor or on a set of earbuds plugged into the onboard speaker jack (green). If there's an onboard speaker (like on an ancient IBMS XT mobo, for example), I sure don't see it or hear it. Unless the beeps are turned off in BIOS by default, I should hear some sort of beep code if there is an error condition, i would think. I can't find where beep codes are documented in the manual or on ASRock.com, but this site (https://ddr4motherboard.com/beepcodes/ASROCK-X370-KILLER-SLI-AC) purports to list the beep codes for this motherboard. Again, I hear nothing when it boots.

I have removed the CMOS battery for >20 minutes (more than once). 

I have shorted pins 2 and 3 on the CLRMOS1 block for >5 seconds (more than once) then returned the jumper to pins 1 and 2.

I have read every post on this forum where people with X370 boards and no-POST is discussed. I believe that I have tried everything that anyone has posted worked for them.

I'm all out of ideas and I still don't know whether I have a bad motherboard, a bad Ryzen CPU or both or neither. I don't know what to do next.

On my honor, I promise a six pack to the knight in shining armor who can help me to get this working. 
<insert pithy quote here>
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 2:01am
Your 1700X req's a dedicated GPU as it doesn't have an iGPU.

SoonerLater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoonerLater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 2:52am
>> Your 1700X req's a dedicated GPU as it doesn't have an iGPU.

First, I'm extremely grateful. That did get it to POST. Thank you. PM me for the PayPal address where I can send the price of a six pack.

Second, why - and I'm not being sarcastic - would it have an HDMI connector on the motherboard if the motherboard has no integrated graphics? That makes no sense to me.

For the record... this no POST saga started when my son (this is his computer and his project) ordered the wrong RAM... while trying to troubleshoot that (before we realized we had incompatible RAM) we tried disconnecting everything (just to eliminate possibilities). When we figured out that we had the wrong RAM, we just ordered the correct stuff, but never bothered to re-connect / re-install all of the the things that we removed (e.g. USB and SATA cables). It would never occur to me in a million years that the mobo didn't have onboard video since it has an onboard HDMI connection. Since it had the HDMI connection, it seemed obvious to me that it must have onboard video - so obvious that I didn't bother to verify my assumption via the user manual.

So.... why does it have an onboard HDMI connector? In what situation would it ever be used (since there will always be connector(s) on the video card you install)? 

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 3:15am
Originally posted by SoonerLater SoonerLater wrote:

>> Your 1700X req's a dedicated GPU as it doesn't have an iGPU.

First, I'm extremely grateful. That did get it to POST. Thank you. PM me for the PayPal address where I can send the price of a six pack.

Second, why - and I'm not being sarcastic - would it have an HDMI connector on the motherboard if the motherboard has no integrated graphics? That makes no sense to me.

For the record... this no POST saga started when my son (this is his computer and his project) ordered the wrong RAM... while trying to troubleshoot that (before we realized we had incompatible RAM) we tried disconnecting everything (just to eliminate possibilities). When we figured out that we had the wrong RAM, we just ordered the correct stuff, but never bothered to re-connect / re-install all of the the things that we removed (e.g. USB and SATA cables). It would never occur to me in a million years that the mobo didn't have onboard video since it has an onboard HDMI connection. Since it had the HDMI connection, it seemed obvious to me that it must have onboard video - so obvious that I didn't bother to verify my assumption via the user manual.

So.... why does it have an onboard HDMI connector? In what situation would it ever be used (since there will always be connector(s) on the video card you install)? 

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

That's simple really, if not necessarily obvious. From your board's specifications:

Integrated AMD Radeon R-Series Graphics in A-series APU

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X370%20Killer%20SLIac/index.asp#Specification

Note the A-series APU, the AMD AM4 Bristol Ridge processors, like the A12-9800, or A10-9700, and the A8-9600 or A6-9500.

While none of the Ryzen 7, 5, or 3 series processors have integrated graphics, the A-series do. Just the way AMD designed them.

Integrated graphics are now part of the processor, not a chip on the mother board. While a video chip on a mother board is still possible, that is very, very rare on current desktop boards.

Edited by parsec - 22 Aug 2017 at 3:18am
SoonerLater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoonerLater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 3:20am
nangu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nangu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 3:20am
Yes, It's a common mistake with these Ryzen boards, because people are accostumed to Intel's CPU with integrated video to troubleshoot :-(

The video out connector on Ryzen boards are used only if you install an AMD APU cpu, which have integrated Radeon graphics.

Cheers

EDIT: Nevermind, just saw parsec response.

Edited by nangu - 22 Aug 2017 at 3:21am
Pencha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pencha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 7:13am
Can i ask a question? No reason for new thread...
I had a problem with Killer SLI non AC with no post. Sapphire 7950 Vapor-x was in the 1st pci-e slot and there was no way to get post screen. With 1.6 bios even speaker is not working i didnt know whats going on.
I got post only when GPU is in 2nd pci-e slot. After bios update to 3.1 speaker worked (5 long beeps) but the problem is still there, no post. 2nd pci-e working fine. Tomorow i got Zotac 1070 amp extreme and its working in 1st pci-e just fine.
Question: How is it possible for AMD gpu not to work on AMD sistem in 1st pci-e slot and why?

I lost 12h trying to find a solution, searching on internet... Lots of people had a no post problem and didnt find a solution.

One more thing, I cant restart my computer. If i restart it wont post, just get stuck. I have to shut it down and power it up again. 
Any solution for that?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 9:31am

LOL! Thumbs Up

I would say a DOH! covers it well! Wink
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 12:32pm

On my honor, I promise a six pack to the knight in shining armor who can help me to get this working. 

Budweiser Tongue
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by Pencha Pencha wrote:

Can i ask a question? No reason for new thread...
I had a problem with Killer SLI non AC with no post. Sapphire 7950 Vapor-x was in the 1st pci-e slot and there was no way to get post screen. With 1.6 bios even speaker is not working i didnt know whats going on.
I got post only when GPU is in 2nd pci-e slot. After bios update to 3.1 speaker worked (5 long beeps) but the problem is still there, no post. 2nd pci-e working fine. Tomorow i got Zotac 1070 amp extreme and its working in 1st pci-e just fine.
Question: How is it possible for AMD gpu not to work on AMD sistem in 1st pci-e slot and why?

I lost 12h trying to find a solution, searching on internet... Lots of people had a no post problem and didnt find a solution.

One more thing, I cant restart my computer. If i restart it wont post, just get stuck. I have to shut it down and power it up again. 
Any solution for that?

Are you using the cases Power Button to "shut down' , leaving the PSU powered in Standby, or are you disconnecting power at the wall?

As a test, use ONLY the cases Power Button?

Most likely the PSU is choking at the inrush current. With the PSU down in Standby the PSU caps remain fully charged.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic