ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Memory problem AB350 Gaming K4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joris92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Memory problem AB350 Gaming K4
    Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 6:06am
Hey guys,

I just finished my first build, sadly I ran into the following problems:
  • Windows only recognizes uses half of the installed RAM (msconfig -> boot -> box is unchecked).
  • Doesn't hit the speed it should.

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
Memory: G. Skill F4-3200C14D-16GFX
MoBo: AB350 Gaming K4 (is up to date according the network function in the bios)

Windows
Edition: Windows 10 Home
Version: 1703
Build: 15063.540

Tried multiple things, but got tired right now. I hope you guys got some things for me I can try. Anything is welcome and much appreciated. Keep in mind that I am a noob at this, so I could easily have forgotten setting something up in the bios. Ouch
Did I forget to download possible drivers?

Thanks in advance!

Greetz Joris

EDIT:
Windows 10 does recognize 16GB of memory, but says only half of it is available.
Bios also recognizes 16GB.

Edited by joris92 - 23 Aug 2017 at 6:34am
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 7:39am
joris92,  I suspect you have a bad memory stick or bad slot.  First, please post your system specifications as in my signature and tell us what slots your memory is plugged.  Remove the memory and put one stick in Slot A1 and see if your system will boot and run W10.  If not try the other stick.  If neither work then it is probably a bad slot.  Try one stick in A2, then B1 and B2.  When your system boots record the stick (S/N) and slot.  Continue this until you find the pattern (good/bad slot; good/bad stick).  If one stick is bad, then RMA the kit.  If one or more slots are bad then it is probably the MB or the processor.  Please post your results and hopefully we can help.  Hope this helps.  Drivers should not be part of a memory problem.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 11:15am
Originally posted by joris92 joris92 wrote:

Hey guys,

I just finished my first build, sadly I ran into the following problems:
  • Windows only recognizes uses half of the installed RAM (msconfig -> boot -> box is unchecked).
  • Doesn't hit the speed it should.

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
Memory: G. Skill F4-3200C14D-16GFX
MoBo: AB350 Gaming K4 (is up to date according the network function in the bios)

Windows
Edition: Windows 10 Home
Version: 1703
Build: 15063.540

Tried multiple things, but got tired right now. I hope you guys got some things for me I can try. Anything is welcome and much appreciated. Keep in mind that I am a noob at this, so I could easily have forgotten setting something up in the bios. Ouch
Did I forget to download possible drivers?

Thanks in advance!

Greetz Joris

EDIT:
Windows 10 does recognize 16GB of memory, but says only half of it is available.
Bios also recognizes 16GB.

You must test both of your DIMMs as described in the post above to be sure that one of the DIMMs is not bad.

Also, triple check that both DIMMs are fully seated in the DIMM slots. Look at the top edge of the DIMM slot and compare it with the side of the DIMM, to make sure the DIMM is fully seated at both ends of the slot. Your memory should be in the A2 and B2 slots.

Do you only get half of the memory recognized at any speed the memory is set to? Such as, the stock speed of 2400?

When you say the memory does not reach the speed it "should", do you mean 3200? You use the XMP profile to set the speed to 3200?

Ryzen's main issues are memory compatibility and memory over clocking. Any memory speed above 2667 is a memory OC and not guaranteed. Reaching 3200 with Ryzen is doing very well. I use the same model of memory with an X370 board and 1700X CPU, and I cannot get my memory above 2933 with stability. Just because the memory we use has a rated OC speed of 3200, etc, does not mean it is guaranteed to run at that speed. Manual adjustment of several options is needed to even try to reach higher memory over clocks.

At this point, you need to determine if both of your DIMMs are working correctly, and then you can try to OC it above 2667.

The board being up to date as you said, means you have the 3.00 UEFI/BIOS version installed?

While you must install the AMD All in One Chipset drivers, they do not help with memory. The latest version of the chipset drivers can be downloaded here:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows+10+-+64
Jm62383 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jm62383 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 11:46am
Make sure your ram is in A2 and B2, that would be the 2nd and 4th slot away from the cpu.

Ive seen a bent cpu pin cause the ram to be "seen" but not useable.
joris92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joris92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

joris92,  I suspect you have a bad memory stick or bad slot.  First, please post your system specifications as in my signature and tell us what slots your memory is plugged.  Remove the memory and put one stick in Slot A1 and see if your system will boot and run W10.  If not try the other stick.  If neither work then it is probably a bad slot.  Try one stick in A2, then B1 and B2.  When your system boots record the stick (S/N) and slot.  Continue this until you find the pattern (good/bad slot; good/bad stick).  If one stick is bad, then RMA the kit.  If one or more slots are bad then it is probably the MB or the processor.  Please post your results and hopefully we can help.  Hope this helps.  Drivers should not be part of a memory problem.  Enjoy, John.

System description: AB350 Gaming K4, Ryzen 5 1600, 1x Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256 GB, G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GFX, Windows 10 Home x64, stock CPU cooler & Geforce GTX 1080 MSI Gaming X 8G.

Will run through all slots with one memory a time. They were fitted in the A2 & B2 slots.
Thanks for the reply :)

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

You must test both of your DIMMs as described in the post above to be sure that one of the DIMMs is not bad.

Also, triple check that both DIMMs are fully seated in the DIMM slots. Look at the top edge of the DIMM slot and compare it with the side of the DIMM, to make sure the DIMM is fully seated at both ends of the slot. Your memory should be in the A2 and B2 slots.

Do you only get half of the memory recognized at any speed the memory is set to? Such as, the stock speed of 2400?

When you say the memory does not reach the speed it "should", do you mean 3200? You use the XMP profile to set the speed to 3200?

Ryzen's main issues are memory compatibility and memory over clocking. Any memory speed above 2667 is a memory OC and not guaranteed. Reaching 3200 with Ryzen is doing very well. I use the same model of memory with an X370 board and 1700X CPU, and I cannot get my memory above 2933 with stability. Just because the memory we use has a rated OC speed of 3200, etc, does not mean it is guaranteed to run at that speed. Manual adjustment of several options is needed to even try to reach higher memory over clocks.

At this point, you need to determine if both of your DIMMs are working correctly, and then you can try to OC it above 2667.

The board being up to date as you said, means you have the 3.00 UEFI/BIOS version installed?

While you must install the AMD All in One Chipset drivers, they do not help with memory. The latest version of the chipset drivers can be downloaded here:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows+10+-+64

Will update the AMD All in One Chipset drivers. 
Version P3.00 UEFI/BIOS
Thanks for the clarification about the speed. Will try this after both memories are useable.
Refitted both yesterday and it seemed they went in fully, though I had doubts about the B2 slot feeling bit wobbly. Though on the other hand I am more an engineer than electrician. The test should clarify this.

Originally posted by Jm62383 Jm62383 wrote:

Make sure your ram is in A2 and B2, that would be the 2nd and 4th slot away from the cpu.

Ive seen a bent cpu pin cause the ram to be "seen" but not useable.

Ram is in the A2 & B2 slots. CPU pin bent looks concerning. Manufacturing error or my own fault? Took it out the box and placed it directly inside the MoBo without force. It just fell in and I locked it...

Edited by joris92 - 23 Aug 2017 at 2:29pm
joris92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joris92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 2:30pm
As I did edit above; Version P3.00 UEFI/BIOS.
Updated chipset drivers.
Motherboard recognizes both RAMs. 

Will start the swapping game now.

Edited by joris92 - 23 Aug 2017 at 2:31pm
joris92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joris92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 2:52pm
Did the test with my 2 RAM memory sticks over the A2 and B2 port. With the first stick both ports were working just fine (Windows booting up and giving me access to the 8GB of memory). The second stick didn't want to boot up at all. Will contact the store about this.

Is it possible that I broke the stick? Used an antistatic mat and wristband during installation.

Thanks again for the help. Will give an update when I've the new RAM installed, should be tomorrow :)

Edited by joris92 - 23 Aug 2017 at 5:07pm
Jm62383 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jm62383 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 10:45pm
Sometimes you just get defective stuff. Unless you used a hammer to install it, it probably wasn't you. Glad you found the culprit so fast.
joris92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joris92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by Jm62383 Jm62383 wrote:

Sometimes you just get defective stuff. Unless you used a hammer to install it, it probably wasn't you. Glad you found the culprit so fast.

Hahaha!

Yes, happy as well! Wasn't looking forward to disassemble the motherboard...

Thanks again guys!
joris92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joris92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 6:24pm
So installed the new memory, turns out Windows shows again only half the RAM is available. Any tips; like resetting CMOS and reinstalling Windows?

I am an idiot, was too careful this time lol. Recognizes 16 GB now :)

Edited by joris92 - 24 Aug 2017 at 6:40pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic