ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 C0 error code

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by hanamichy hanamichy wrote:

By the way, do I j plug this cable directly into my psu? The psu only has 6 pin connections.

Six pin connections sound like a PCIe/video card power connection. They are NOT compatible with CPU power connectors! They should not fit into the CPU power connector(s) on a mother board, but some older, less well designed PSUs may allow them to be connected.

A proper CPU power connector cable will have either a 4/8 pin connector, or 8 pin connector. A PCIe 8 pin connector is also NOT compatible with the CPU power connection on a mother board.
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 11:53pm
hanamichy, look at this one:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6ZP3N68337&cm_re=enermax_platimax-_-17-194-098-_-Product
In the specifications:
1 x Main connector (24Pin)
1 x 8Pin CPU
1 x 4+4Pin CPU
4 x (2 x PCI-E 6+2pin)
2 x (4 x SATA)
1 x (4 x 4pin Molex + FDD)
2 x (2 x SATA + 2 x 4pin Molex)

I am not recommending this one, but I do use Enermax.  Be sure your new PSU has a 1x8 and a 1x4 (or 4+4) specifically for the CPU.  We need to know about your system especially your video card.  How did you size your PSU?  I would suggest at least 850 Watt - hope others will comment.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
hanamichy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanamichy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 12:03am
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

hanamichy, look at this one:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6ZP3N68337&cm_re=enermax_platimax-_-17-194-098-_-Product
In the specifications:
1 x Main connector (24Pin)
1 x 8Pin CPU
1 x 4+4Pin CPU
4 x (2 x PCI-E 6+2pin)
2 x (4 x SATA)
1 x (4 x 4pin Molex + FDD)
2 x (2 x SATA + 2 x 4pin Molex)

I am not recommending this one, but I do use Enermax.  Be sure your new PSU has a 1x8 and a 1x4 (or 4+4) specifically for the CPU.  We need to know about your system especially your video card.  How did you size your PSU?  I would suggest at least 850 Watt - hope others will comment.  Enjoy, John.

Thank you for this. Definitely a learning experience for me. 
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 3:21am
hanamichy, you are welcome.  It does look like the Corsair PSU you posted does have sufficient CPU power connectors.  Please give this estimator a try to size your PSU.
https://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html?nm_mc=KNC-GoogleKWLess&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleKWLess-_-Branding-_-Products-_-PowerSupplyCalculator&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy57cz8nw1QIVBbjACh2N9gTJEAAYASAAEgKBEPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds]estimator

Enjoy, John.

EDIT:  The estimator does not show Threadripper, so use R7 1800X and add about 100 watts.

Edited by MisterJ - 25 Aug 2017 at 3:58am
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 6:51am
If money is an issue atm, you can split that 4+4 wiring and try using a 4-pin on the 8-pin header and the other 4-pins to the 4-pin header. You would use the 4 pins of the 8-pin header that are closest to the edge of the MB.

No an ideal situation, granted.

As MisterJ spoke, you need a proper PSU
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 1:04pm
hanamichy,

Got the below msg in my Inbox.

Tongue By it being deleted, can we assume you're still in "learning experience" Mode and you now have all four sticks of G.Skill goodness behaving as expected? Tongue

Originally posted by hanamichy hanamichy wrote:

Ok, so I went and returned the PSU, got another one with the proper connections.

Connected 24, 8, and 4 pin. Then it booted and it works! 

Now I have another issue...

It's only seeing two sticks of my four sticks ram. I got these, GSkill emailed me saying they're compatible before I purchased: https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c16q-32gvk

Is there something I need to do in bios to make it see the other two sticks? I made sure it's all seated properly, and in the right spots.

It's only seeing C2 and D2...

Thanks for all your help.
hanamichy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanamichy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 9:58pm

Yes, I deleted yesterday after finding out I didn't push on the ram hard enough into the slot. It was late so I didn't report back.

Anyways, as suggested, I went and returned my PSU (wow the one I got is so ancient now that I know more about PSU). Plugged in the new one, whole machine came alive just like that!

So with a x399 board, definitely need the 24, 8, and 4 pin.

The only thing now is my ram which is: https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c16q-32gvk

is only registering 2100 for speed. Gskill's technical support says I might need to update my bios.

I'm a little afraid to do that, or isn't this board (x399 Taichi) brand new and the bios is the same as the website? 

Is there something else I need to tweak in the bios to get the ram running at 3200?

I'm also done cleaning up my setup, when I get home this evening, can't wait to take some pics to show you guys.

Thanks!
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 1:02am
The memory and BIOS will "auto set" to a JEDEC Standard Speed. In your instance 2100.

There's an OC option at the top of the OC Tweaker tab that you must enable with "Mauual" that will allow you to see the "Enable XMP" setting a 5-7 lines below.
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 2:11am
hanamichy, please do not be afraid of updating your BIOS.  Always use the Instant Flash in the BIOS, never the Windows version.  If your board does not have 1.30, you definitely need to update it.  These new boards have a Flashback feature that does not even require a running CPU or boot-able system to flash the BIOS.  Please see your manual about this feature.  If all else fails, the flash chip is a plug-able module and there are several vendors that will sell you a new one with your requested BIOS version.  You can just replace the flash module and be good to go.
Also please do not be afraid to include your system specifications in your signature.  I am particularly interested to know what CPU cooler you are using and what CPU temperatures you are seeing.
Here is a couple of DLs you might like if you do not have them.
CPU-Z
Use the Softwares button to see others including HWMonitor.  It will tell you temperatures, voltages and more.  These are all free.
If you look at your memory specification, you will see:

SPD Speed 2133MHz

This means 2133 is the default.  You need to enable XMP to get the 3200 speed as wardog said.  There is some possibility that your system may not be stable at 3200 and others will have to help you adjust some BIOS settings.  I know little about OCing. 
Please post your system specifications and CPU temperatures.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

hanamichy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanamichy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 11:38am

Ok, so I did go into bios and achieved 3200 with my ram, thanks for help! As well updated my bios.

My rig is kinda a ghetto one, tried to save some money since the threadripper setup already costs over $2000 CDN. It's definitely a killer machine for my workflow which is a lot of rendering in Cinema 4D. My previous was a FX8150, took forever to render anything. I'm not invested in Octane Renderer yet so I don't need GPU rendering.

One thing I do notice, day to day tasks, it's not any faster than my old FX8150. That was an 8 core, 3.6GHZ chip, over 3 years ago. Perhaps it's my harddrive...

Here are my parts for reference:

I'm using the Core P3 case. It's a show piece, the plastic cover is actually very nice quality. I thought it would scratch or look very plasticky, but it almost looks like glass.

Noctua US14 TR4 - Amazing! I'm only using the one fan, idle temperature is around 30 degrees. I haven't done a lot of rendering tests yet, but seems fine for a 10 minute render at around 60 degrees. I set the fan to performance mode in the bios. There is also a maximum mode. As well, build quality is top notch. 6 years warranty sure beats water cooling. If it gets really hot after my crazy renders, I can buy a secondary fan. As well, the fan is super huge, but when you compare to water cooling, I actually save so much room. It's almost silent.

My boot drive is a Seagate SSHD 1000GB. Trying to save some money. Will consider a M.2 down the road. Then I also have 3 old sata drives.

EVGA 750 GQ

I plan to get a 1080, not sure for gaming or for working, more just a want. I haven't played high end games for many years.

I learned a lot from doing this. Was super nervous, but I now have the confidence to do it again for someone if needed. 

Thank you for everyone's time. Every post was super helpful to me. My setup is still very messy so I'll clean it up before I post some photos.
x399 Taichi Bios 1.30 | 1950x | Noctua US14 TR4 | Radeo HD 5800 | EVGA 750 GQ | GSkill F4-3200C16Q-32GVK @3200
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic