ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Taichi sleep issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danielocdh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 Taichi sleep issues
    Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 9:38am
I have had this mobo for 1 or 2 months now, I didn't have the need to put it to sleep before so I never tried it. Some days ago I wanted to configure sleep and I discovered 2 big issues.

1 when disabling SMT on bios and then trying to sleep, the computer sleeps but then isn't able to wake up(fans start but there is no video signal), some error codes come on the mobo sometimes 1F and sometimes 0D

2 with SMT enabled it can sleep and wake up fine, the problem is that if I shut it down after it woke up the system will take extra time to shutdown. Without sleeping windows closes and goes to black screen then the system shuts down after 1-3 seconds, after sleeping this takes 2 minutes 20 seconds

#1 seems to have no solution but enable SMT, for #2 read my post below

I have tried without improvement:
Clearing the CMOS
Bios 2.40 and 3.00
Always using default settings (except for the SMT in case 1)
Different mouse, keyboard and monitor
Balanced, high performance and AMD ryzen balanced power plans
ASRock page chipset drivers and latest AMD site chipset drivers
Clean boot
2 old Nvidia video drivers and the most recent one (used ddu before all installs)

My specs:
Ryzen 1800X, liquid cooling Corsair h110i
Asus GTX 1080ti
Ram crucial 4x16gb ECC @2400 dual channel
Power supply EVGA Super Nova 850 P2
NVME Samsung evo 960, 2xSSD, 2xHDD, 1DVDRW
Windows 10 x64 fully updated

Can anyone reproduce these issues?
Any ideas on how to figure out what the problem is?
Thanks

Edited by danielocdh - 28 Aug 2017 at 3:32pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 1:45pm
Was this Windows install a fresh install?
danielocdh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danielocdh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 2:24pm
Yes it was
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 10:23am
Originally posted by danielocdh danielocdh wrote:

I have had this mobo for 1 or 2 months now, I didn't have the need to put it to sleep before so I never tried it. Some days ago I wanted to configure sleep and I discovered 2 big issues.

1 when disabling SMT on bios and then trying to sleep, the computer sleeps but then isn't able to wake up, I believe the error codes on the mobo are sometimes 1F and sometimes 0D

2 with SMT enabled it can sleep and wake up fine, the problem is that if I shut it down after it woke up the system will take extra time to shutdown. Without sleeping windows closes and goes to black screen then the system shuts down after 1-3 seconds, after sleeping this takes 2 minutes 20 seconds

I have tried without improvement:
Clearing the CMOS
Bios 2.40 and 3.00
Always using default settings (except for the SMT in case 1)
Different mouse, keyboard and monitor
Balanced, high performance and AMD ryzen balanced power plans
ASRock page chipset drivers and latest AMD site chipset drivers
Clean boot
2 old Nvidia video drivers and the most recent one (used ddu before all installs)

My specs:
Ryzen 1800X, liquid cooling Corsair h110i
Asus GTX 1080ti
Ram crucial 4x16gb ECC @2400 dual channel
Power supply EVGA Super Nova 850 P2
NVME Samsung evo 960, 2xSSD, 2xHDD, 1DVDRW
Windows 10 x64 fully updated

Can anyone reproduce these issues?
Any ideas on how to figure out what the problem is?
Thanks

I tried disabling SMT with my X370 Killer SLI/ac board with 1700X, went into Sleep mode, came out of Sleep and did not have normal operation of the PC, nothing displayed on the monitor.

Your description of "isn't able to wake up..." is very lacking in details, so not at all helpful. I'll describe what happened in my case. The PC fans, etc starts, but no signal to the monitor. Pressing Reset causes the PC to restart normally.

Checking the Windows logs at the time I woke the PC (since log entries are time stamped), I see an entry stating the OS was started. So this seems to be related to the video driver having an issue with Windows when waking from Sleep, an issue I have seen before with an Intel P67 chipset board. Event log entries saying the video driver did not respond within the expected time period was the main clue. Myself and other owners of the board (Asus) never found a fix. But that issue was not related to disabling the Intel equivalent of SMT, Hyper Threading. The issue there was supposedly related to the P67 chipset itself, and if that is true in this situation, unless a CPU microcode update from AMD can fix it, there most likely won't be a fix. But there are so many possible causes of Sleep issues, I'm just glad when it works on a PC.

The good news here is, I have no reason to disable SMT, and won't. The PC Sleeps and wakes fine with SMT enabled. Wake from Sleep issues are very common, and since Sleep is a Windows feature, it is mainly a Windows issue. The video driver manufacture may have responsibility, if there driver is not meeting Windows 10 standards. Still seems weird disabling SMT has this side affect, but most wake from Sleep issues are unusual.

I see you tried different video drivers, so you may be aware that the board is starting normally, and the issue is primarily related to the video source. But we don't know what happens when you wake your PC from Sleep.

The second situation of Windows taking a long time to shutdown after waking from Sleep could be any number of Windows related things, which I don't get on my Ryzen PC.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danielocdh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 10:43am

Thanks a lot parsec, this kinda is good news.

What I meant by not being able to wake up is what you described, fans start but there is no video signal and the mobo shows the error codes I mentioned.

The first 2 times I tested this was after a couple of hours of have been using the system, and I remember that there was no log on the event viewer that matched the time of the sleep/fail to wake up, but maybe I missed it, I'll look for it when I test this more.

I know it's uncommon to want to disable SMT but I have seen some improvement on some benchmarks and games, I still use some old programs and games that only use single core, I could live with it on anyway I guess.

I expect to test this more tomorrow to try to solve the long shutdown delay. Strangely I lost some unimportant files while testing this so I'll need to disconnect all my drives and use other spare drive to install windows/test.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 12:57am

Strangely I lost some unimportant files while testing this

That there portends maybe an issue with one of your drives.

Which could, from your explanations, be THE issue you're having there.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danielocdh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 3:52am
I already scanned everything and checked s.m.a.r.t., but this is yet another reason to test with the spare drive. I'll report back as soon as that is done, thanks.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 9:05am

Thanks a lot parsec, this kinda is good news.

What I meant by not being able to wake up is what you described, fans start but there is no video signal and the mobo shows the error codes I mentioned.

The first 2 times I tested this was after a couple of hours of have been using the system, and I remember that there was no log on the event viewer that matched the time of the sleep/fail to wake up, but maybe I missed it, I'll look for it when I test this more.

I know it's uncommon to want to disable SMT but I have seen some improvement on some benchmarks and games, I still use some old programs and games that only use single core, I could live with it on anyway I guess.

I expect to test this more tomorrow to try to solve the long shutdown delay. Strangely I lost some unimportant files while testing this so I'll need to disconnect all my drives and use other spare drive to install windows/test.

POST codes shown on the Dr Debug display are not errors, unless the board fails to POST. Then the last POST code that remains on the display is the number of the POST procedure that failed, and a clue to what went wrong. Waking from Sleep is not a typical starting a PC situation, so what the POST codes mean at that time is not quite the same. My X370 board does not have a Dr Debug display Angry  so I cannot check what I get in that situation.

I've only seen the video failure after waking from Sleep happen with video cards, and it's too bad non-APU Ryzen processors don't have an iGPU, that could be enabled with a second monitor. The P67 board I had did not support the Intel iGPU, which is strange but that's how that board was. I cannot say that an iGPU is immune from this problem, but I've just never seen it. I never saw a message that the OS was started on the P67 PC, which was using Windows 7.

In your case, do either of those codes remain on the display, I assume one of them does? 0d can be a problem with the video card, which we think is related to the lack of video when waking from Sleep. 1F is a memory problem, but if that code just appeared and then disappeared, then it was probably shown since Sleep uses the memory to store the Windows "image" when the PC was put to Sleep.

I tried disabling SMT, going into and out of Sleep, and I still did not get any video, and I use two monitors with one video card, so it seems the video output does not matter. I again did not get any delay during Shutdown, so that seems to be unique to your PC for some reason. Such as a potentially bad drive.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danielocdh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 1:38pm
I actually have DrDebug codes only enabled on boot (don't remember the option name)
But what I meant was that one of those codes showed at the same time the fans start/the pc tries to wake up/there is no video signal, sometimes it was 0D and sometimes 1F, yes they remain.

So the non SMT sleep bug is pretty much confirmed now I guess.

I did a lot of testing today, probably around 6 hours, I'll post the results soon.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danielocdh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 3:26pm
My solutions:

So for case 1 the only option I found was to enable SMT if sleep will be used.

For case 2, the problem I was having is caused by my ASMedia AHCI controller (2 sata connectors on the bottom), so I just moved my drives to the other 8 ports and the problem is gone now.

I tested thoroughly the ASMedia AHCI controller to be sure that was the problem, every time I switched a drive I kept the same power and data cables with the drive. I used 2 SSD drives (samsung evo 850 and kingston v300) I tested both ports together and 1 by 1(connecting the other drive in a non ASMedia port). I tested both drives with a windows 10 fresh install, latest chipset drivers and latest video drivers.
Every time I woke up the computer from sleep whatever drive (samsung or kingston, boot or non boot) was connected to the ASMedia controller generated this event on windows Event Viewer:
Event ID 129, source storahci, Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort2, was issued.
I'm assuming the drive(s) connected to the ASMedia controller was/were the one(s) generating the event because it was always the drive(s) that became unresponsive when trying to access it from "this pc".
Before this event is triggered the drives attached to the ASMedia controller become unresponsive for at least 20 seconds but up to 3 minutes. This delay is what was causing me to have to wait for shutdown on my original tests/setup. One time I also got an NTFS error together with the event 129 and as I already checked all my drives I believe my previous data corruption was caused by this issue too. All this was consistent between bios 2.40 and 3.00.

During the testing I also discovered another quirk, my 8x sata hot plug functionality got broken on bios 3.00, it works fine on bios 2.40, so I'll be staying with 2.40 for now because I use that functionality on 1 port.
The 2x ASMedia ports hot plug works on both 2.40 and 3.00 bios but the controller is not stable at least for sleeping.

Thanks everyone for helping me test and giving me ideas to test/figure this out.

Edited by danielocdh - 28 Aug 2017 at 3:31pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic