ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 Tachi - QVL Memory 3200 stuck at 2400mhz

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X399 Tachi - QVL Memory 3200 stuck at 2400mhz
    Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 5:45am
Hey,

So I purchased a X399 Tachi board with my 1950X threadripper.

I got 2 pairs of G Skill Ram 8x4 - F4-3200C14D-16GFX - (G-Skill 3200mhz CL14)

They are on the QVL list ASRock has on the website, but I can't seem to get them to boot at any speed other then 'default' 2400. They have no problem running quad channel either.

If I select my XMP profile, the board will try to restart and completely fail. I tired every mhz range with the XMP profile and no luck. I have tried increasing timings. Even setting any custom value for the ram will cause the board to fail boot, even if its the same settings as the fall back ram settings (2400).

I also tried only running just 2 sticks in a dual channel setup. That didn't work either. Same issue with not being able to increase the clocks at all.

Of course this board is insanely new, but the ram is also on the QVL list and other people seem to have no problem getting higher ram speeds. Think this is a problem with the board or just expected instability? Should I just wait for new bios updates?

I am also having no issues with heat. I am on a custom XSPC loop that uses the EK block, even if I overclock the CPU to 4.1ghz on all cores (no voltage increase required), the max temp I hit is 58C.

What do you guys think?

-Matt

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 10:13am
Originally posted by mattf85 mattf85 wrote:

Hey,

So I purchased a X399 Tachi board with my 1950X threadripper.

I got 2 pairs of G Skill Ram 8x4 - F4-3200C14D-16GFX - (G-Skill 3200mhz CL14)

They are on the QVL list ASRock has on the website, but I can't seem to get them to boot at any speed other then 'default' 2400. They have no problem running quad channel either.

If I select my XMP profile, the board will try to restart and completely fail. I tired every mhz range with the XMP profile and no luck. I have tried increasing timings. Even setting any custom value for the ram will cause the board to fail boot, even if its the same settings as the fall back ram settings (2400).

I also tried only running just 2 sticks in a dual channel setup. That didn't work either. Same issue with not being able to increase the clocks at all.

Of course this board is insanely new, but the ram is also on the QVL list and other people seem to have no problem getting higher ram speeds. Think this is a problem with the board or just expected instability? Should I just wait for new bios updates?

I am also having no issues with heat. I am on a custom XSPC loop that uses the EK block, even if I overclock the CPU to 4.1ghz on all cores (no voltage increase required), the max temp I hit is 58C.

What do you guys think?

-Matt

When you say other people have no problem getting higher memory speeds, do you mean with your board, CPU, and memory?

What UEFI/BIOS version do you have in your board?

What version of Windows are you using?

You have the memory in the A2, B2, C2, and D2 memory slots?

Have you cleared the UEFI/BIOS since any of your higher memory speed attempts?

Your board has a Dr Debug display, what code do you get on the display when the PC fails to boot?

On Ryzen systems, to get higher memory speeds, we need to increase the VDDCR_SOC voltage. That is not done automatically by the XMP profile or board. Have you tried setting the SOC voltage to 1.0 - 1.2V?

There are other memory voltages I see in the UEFI that are unique to Threadripper, so we'll need to learn if they contribute to TR memory speeds.

I assume the DRAM voltage is set to 1.35V?

We have zero experience with X399/Threadripper at this time, so it will take some time to figure it out. I don't see any posts in AMD community blogs about memory speeds and TR so far, which for Ryzen so far has been in their "Gaming" community.

datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 9:50pm
to add to parsecs above post
we can only advise tricks and tips we learnt from ryzen (allthough it seems you did make a good choice for the ram brand its not playing ball )

try manually setting 2666 with cl 16/16/16/16/50 and 1.35 volts
see if that will play ball let it run a few boots if it does and then try 2933 cl 16 if that plays ball try 3200 cl 16

and then reduce the cl down to 14
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic