ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ryzen Build + Weird Memory - Need Help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smrtech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ryzen Build + Weird Memory - Need Help!
    Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 3:20am
Having a strange problem, need some help and advise...hard to believe this is the
memory.

Ryzen 1700 CPU + Wraith Spire 
ASRock AB350M
EVGA BQ 600 PSU
Samsung EVO 960 256GB M.2
Zotac 1050 LP GPU PCIe 3.0 x16
ADATA 32GB DDR4 AX4U320038G16-DGZ
Thermaltake Versa H13 case

New Ryzen build....
Similar to what others have posted, i have a powered on system, spinning fans, CPU cooler fan
spinning, LEDs going.  Just no video output from HDMI.  So as I learned, I went and got
a video card - thought for sure that was the issue - still no video out on HDMI.  Tried most
of the tricks, RAM in and out, moving slots, etc.

Now I have no way of knowing what version of BIOS is on this system now, perhaps a BIOS
upgrade would make the memory work?  Weird thing is, I went off of this list from ADATA
for Ryzen memory:  http://www.xpg.com/us/amd_ryzen/

I got the part slightly wrong and the exact part I list is NOT ANYWHERE on ADATA's site.
I ordered from Newegg.  This is the part on the list I needed AX4U320038G16-BGZ.  The specs seem
right, so hard to say the memory is the issue before I send it back.  Perhaps the latest BIOS
upgrade would allow the system to POST - but I can't do that - or would it just run at slower
speed without the BIOS update?  Power all connected fine.

Checked all the obvious stuff and the checklist.

Any of these ideas make sense, which I haven't done just yet:

1.  No graphics drivers for video - shouldn't matter should it?
2.  I am in PCIE2 - which should be the right one, should I move it to PCIE3?
3.  Could the M.2 be the issue?  I'll remove it.
4.  Just get the run DDR4 memory, close doesn't could with Ryzen...
5. Try DVI if HDMI isn't working - this shouldn't matter either, should it?

Any other thoughts?  Everything is connected,  I need to get a PC speaker
attached so I can hear any beeps on startup.

Before I send the memory back, wanted to try other obvious stuff.

MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 5:29am
smrtech, Windows (what are you running?) has drivers to get you going - real not needed for booting.  The M.2 could be the issue if you have it in the wrong socket (see manual) - try removing it and see if you get a picture.  Do try another PCIe slot.
Quote Just get the run DDR4 memory, close doesn't could with Ryzen...
EH?????????????
DVI/HDMI should not matter but change it to see if the card has a problem.  Good luck and enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
skwa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 5:54am
I hope you don't find this question insulting, but are you using the video ports on the video card? The video ports on the motherboard won't ever work with current Ryzen processors.
smrtech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smrtech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 8:16am
Sorry for the typos...not running anything yet, just trying to get to the BIOS.
Video plugged into Zotac GPU, I known the Mobo video will get me nowhere.

Got a speaker, 3 beeps with no memory, no beeps with it.

Microcenter dude suggested a single stick of DDR4 2400 which
didn't change anything. Theory being I have to get to BIOS first
and maybe an upgrade is needed to see faster memory.
No idea what BIOS is on there now.

GPU will only fit in PCIe2 as there is not enough room for the card
in the other PCIe slot.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 8:45am
Ok.

Look just below the CMOS battery but above the PCIE1 x1 slot. There is a sticker covering the actual BIOS chip. What is written on the sticker?

This will be the BIOS rev the board shipped with when it was manufactured. It the board was purchased used, open box or other all bets are off concerning the current BIOS rev flashed.

Give me the BIOS rev flashed and we'll take it up from there, ok?

MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 8:49am
smrtech, have you tried with both M.2 sockets empty?  Are you sure you have 32 GB of memory?  How many sticks do you have?  I cannot find your memory.  Please post a link to your memory on the Adata site.  Can you beg or borrow another video card to try?  Are you sure your monitor works?  Have you tested the interface you are using on another machine?  Try another monitor?  Try removing everything you do not need to boot (Optical, PCIe cards, HDDs, etc).  Good luck, John.

EDIT: Please do a clear CMOS.

Edited by MisterJ - 01 Sep 2017 at 8:50am
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 10:51am
If your board will not post with that ADATA memory, or other memory, then it will be impossible to do a UEFI/BIOS update.

So you have another model of 2400 memory from Microcenter? That made no difference?

Is your monitor configured to auto select the input being used? Did you try manually selecting the monitor input you are using?

All of the things you said you should try really won't make a difference.

You really need to do a UEFI/BIOS clear, as suggested above, after changing the hardware as much as you have. Be sure the video card is fully seated in its slot, and that the locking tab on the slot is engaged.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 12:15am
Originally posted by smrtech smrtech wrote:

ASRock AB350M

2.  I am in PCIE2 - which should be the right one, should I move it to PCIE3?

Hehe...........

Dude, if you have a PCIE3 slot you DO NOT have an AB350M
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 12:43am
ADATA has their XPG Line listed on xpg.com

Ryzen Compatible XPG (Z1) Kits. Your AX4U320038G16-DGZ Kits is not listed among these Kits
http://www.xpg.com/us/amd_ryzen/

All the Data I can find on the xpg.com site is:
http://www.xpg.com/us/orderinfo/305
AX4U320038G16-DGZ, DDR4-3200, 8GB*2, CL16-16-16, Gold

Edited by wardog - 02 Sep 2017 at 12:47am
smrtech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smrtech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 4:21am
Hooray!   I did finally get it to POST and get video output.

The trick was to jumper/reset the CMOS, wait 10 seconds, move it back and restart
and then finally the video screen came to life.  I did not have to remove any hardware or
the battery, simply the jumper moved.  Power was
on, then removed power.  Went back to regular run position and video appeared.

Strange thing was that I saw the BIOS on there (I think) was 2.30 - many months old when
you are on the bleeding edge.

I was using the DDR4 2400 memory stick 8GB I got from Microcenter and now with a BIOS
upgrade done to 3.0 (via ethernet), I can try and put in my original ADATA memory and
see how I do.

I've never had to reset the CMOS, but obviously the settings get confused or they were
just wrong for the hardware I had, so I am on to continue with my buiid....

Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic