ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming RAM Issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ricky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming RAM Issues
    Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by PhantomGamers PhantomGamers wrote:

do you know how I can check? It doesn't show in CPU-Z.

Use thaiphoon burner or hwinfo to check

Edited by Ricky - 03 Sep 2017 at 11:41pm
PhantomGamers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhantomGamers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

To start diagnosing, with no OC applied to either the CPU nor memory:
1. Move the two sticks of G.Skill TridentZ goodness in slots A2 and B2 and test.
no good?
2. Move the two sticks of G.Skill TridentZ goodness in slots A1 and B1 and test.

Please, to continue further, post back the results of #1 and #2 above if you would.

I have no problem posting with any bios in any slot position without overclocking, the issue is only with trying to get to 3200 (which is my goal because of the infinity fabric performance concerns).

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

You said you'd like to see if the new AGESA versions would help you, but as you have experienced, the opposite seems to be true.

I haven't had the pleasure to confirm whether or not it'd help me because something was broken in the next bios update that runs the same AGESA version. Or that it supposedly does, at least.

Your board's memory support list does not show and 16GB DIMMs at a speed beyond 2933. If you can get your memory at 3200 with changes in the basic timings, be happy that it works at all.

In fairness, this isn't a cheapo motherboard, I spent $250 on it, I don't think I should have to be happy with subpar performance. If this was AMD's fault, I'd still be upset, but I wouldn't have even bothered to complain, but it seems like it's something that ASRock changed on their own that broke it for me I thought I'd report it.

You did not mention anything about configuration of the SOC voltage, normally needed for memory over clocks, and with larger amounts of memory. Is your SOC voltage at 1.1 - 1.2V? Do you have GearDown mode enabled (Auto or Enabled) to allow the memory to go to 2T, or do you have it set to 2T?

Do you know what type of memory chips your memory has? Samsung B-die have the best chance of working with Ryzen.

Yeah, sorry, I was just hoping someone might be able to go back and see what they actually changed in 2.20 that would affect memory training.
At 2.0 all I do is set the XMP profile and change the timings, at anything above no matter what I do it won't post. I've tried running in 1T and 2T, and I've played with all of the voltages within their safe limits (I don't remember all of the specific numbers I've tried at this point), to no avail. And I've tried pushing the timings even higher, still nothing.

And I don't recall what type of memory chips they use, do you know how I can check? It doesn't show in CPU-Z.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Edited by PhantomGamers - 02 Sep 2017 at 12:36pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by PhantomGamers PhantomGamers wrote:

Hey, I already submitted a support request but the answer I got was "use the bios that works," which isn't satisfactory so I figured I'd post here in case someone in the bios development team happens to see it or someone else has a similar problem.

Basically I'm running the Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming with an r7 1800X and 32 gigs of G.SKILL TridentZ RAM (F4-3200C16D-32GTZA).

I know the memory isn't listed in the QVL but I was able to get it working at 3200MHz clock speeds with the 2.0 bios, however every bios after that refuses to post when I attempt to run it at 3200.

Sadly in order to get it working at 3200MHz, I need to push the timings up beyond what it's rated at (18-18-18-40 vs 16-16-16-32). I'd just like to see if the advancements made in the newer AEGSA versions would benefit me.

And for what it's worth, even 2.20 doesn't post at 3200MHz and it's the same AGESA version as 2.0, so I believe it was something else you guys changed that you didn't put in the changelog.

The description for 2.20 is "Update Agesa Version string "SummitPI-AM4 1.0.0.4a"," which I can't see why that would affect what RAM clock speed I can boot at.

G.SKILL does not include any Ryzen systems in their QVL for your memory:

https://gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c16d-32gtza

The XMP profile is designed for Intel systems, so won't work as is with Ryzen.

You said you'd like to see if the new AGESA versions would help you, but as you have experienced, the opposite seems to be true. As the new AGESA updates enhance the performance of compatible memory, they may also diminish the potential performance of other models of memory. AMD provides the AGESA updates, so they control their behavior.

Your board's memory support list does not show and 16GB DIMMs at a speed beyond 2933. If you can get your memory at 3200 with changes in the basic timings, be happy that it works at all.

You did not mention anything about configuration of the SOC voltage, normally needed for memory over clocks, and with larger amounts of memory. Is your SOC voltage at 1.1 - 1.2V? Do you have GearDown mode enabled (Auto or Enabled) to allow the memory to go to 2T, or do you have it set to 2T?

Do you know what type of memory chips your memory has? Samsung B-die have the best chance of working with Ryzen.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 12:10pm
I know it's unsettling to hear Tech Support to say "use the bios that works" , that's not too far off the mark concerning Ryzen, and I suspect maybe ThreadRipper too.

I'm not making excuses, ok? That not my "thing".

Withe the exception of this latest BIOS, 3.10, Ryzen BIOSes have been about memory compatibility issues. Some Users do get better results with newer BIOSes, some Users get better results with older BIOSes.

Your issue appears different though, from here. I've had 12 maybe 15 Kits of mem in and out of my SLI/ac board. To fall all the way back to 2.00 to find happpiness is different.

The sticks are Samsung B-die ICs, Dual Ranked ,Dual Sided

To start diagnosing, with no OC applied to either the CPU nor memory:
1. Move the two sticks of G.Skill TridentZ goodness in slots A2 and B2 and test.
no good?
2. Move the two sticks of G.Skill TridentZ goodness in slots A1 and B1 and test.

Please, to continue further, post back the results of #1 and #2 above if you would.

PhantomGamers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhantomGamers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 10:52am
Hey, I already submitted a support request but the answer I got was "use the bios that works," which isn't satisfactory so I figured I'd post here in case someone in the bios development team happens to see it or someone else has a similar problem.

Basically I'm running the Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming with an r7 1800X and 32 gigs of G.SKILL TridentZ RAM (F4-3200C16D-32GTZA).

I know the memory isn't listed in the QVL but I was able to get it working at 3200MHz clock speeds with the 2.0 bios, however every bios after that refuses to post when I attempt to run it at 3200.

Sadly in order to get it working at 3200MHz, I need to push the timings up beyond what it's rated at (18-18-18-40 vs 16-16-16-32). I'd just like to see if the advancements made in the newer AEGSA versions would benefit me.

And for what it's worth, even 2.20 doesn't post at 3200MHz and it's the same AGESA version as 2.0, so I believe it was something else you guys changed that you didn't put in the changelog.

The description for 2.20 is "Update Agesa Version string "SummitPI-AM4 1.0.0.4a"," which I can't see why that would affect what RAM clock speed I can boot at.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic