ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

370 Fatality Gaming X; No boot from M2_2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capn Insan0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 370 Fatality Gaming X; No boot from M2_2
    Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 7:43pm
Hi
I recently picked up one of these boards. My current MB has a Transcend TS256GMTS800 as a boot drive and a PM951 1TB Samsung as storage.
In the BIOS both drives are correctly detected; the Samsung is on M2_1 PCIE and the Transcend is on M2_2 SATA. Problem though is that in the boot order I only see an option to use the Samsung. My other board which is an Intel Z170 doesn't have this problem.
I see both drives are on the supported list but as yet I don't see a way to get the Transcend to boot.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 8:07pm
Sorry, that confused me. It's late(early!) and I'm tired, but ........

So this is your first attempt at booting it?

Did you do a fresh OS install first?
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 11:14pm
Capn Insan0, sounds like there is no boot sector on the Transcen.  So, please tell us where your OS on the Transcend came from and how it got there.  You really should not try to use a disk containing an OS from another system and booting it on a new one.  Please answer wardog's questions.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
nangu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nangu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 6:30am
Hi, Check if the Trascend drive is formatted as MBR and you have legacy boot mode enabled in UEFI.

In order to boot the Windows OS on UEFI mode, you have to get a GPT partition on your disk. If your disk is MBR partitioned, you need to set legacy mode boot on UEFI.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 10:07am
Originally posted by Capn Insan0 Capn Insan0 wrote:

Hi
I recently picked up one of these boards. My current MB has a Transcend TS256GMTS800 as a boot drive and a PM951 1TB Samsung as storage.
In the BIOS both drives are correctly detected; the Samsung is on M2_1 PCIE and the Transcend is on M2_2 SATA. Problem though is that in the boot order I only see an option to use the Samsung. My other board which is an Intel Z170 doesn't have this problem.
I see both drives are on the supported list but as yet I don't see a way to get the Transcend to boot.

The Transcend SSD is a SATA M.2 SSD, so Windows was most likely installed in Legacy mode. If it uses Windows 7, that is guaranteed.

So you are trying to use/boot a Windows installation on the Transcend SSD, done on an Intel Z170 board, on a Ryzen X370 board? The only drivers that will be compatible will be any generic MSoft drivers that were left after the Windows installation and not replaced with the hardware specific drivers. Those two boards could not be more incompatible from a hardware perspective.

If the Windows installation from the Z170 board could boot on a Ryzen system, which is questionable at best, I would not want to live with all the issues you'll have, and all the cleanup work necessary, although the Windows Registry will always be a mess.

Very little information provided in your post, so difficult to comment further.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 8:18pm

ok can i also ask a question

why would you want a transend m2sata as the boot drive and the samsung nvme as the storage ?
the samsung is massively faster as is its drive connector interface
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Capn Insan0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capn Insan0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 3:35am
Cheers for the replies.
First up, I did get it to be seen as a boot option by changing the order in Hardrive BBS priorities but still no boot into OS. I had another PCIe SSD [a 512GB] onhand so I installed Win10P on that and it worked although I had to bump it up in the menu.
As for why I was using the sata as boot instead of the pcie. I'm aware of the speed difference, my reasoning was that I was using it [the pcie] as a games library primarily so I thought it would be better to load games off that. I was getting ~10sec boot times with the previous build which I felt was good enough.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capn Insan0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 3:40am
Also, I fitted the transcend back into my Z170 board which I still had in my case, I was running the X370 bare with a spare PSU and video card. I wanted to back up my email if I could [I had earlier backups done a week prior] and it booted just fine so it didn't appear there was any issues with the drive.
I had been thinking about transferring to a PCIe for OS anyway so it was worthwhile.
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 3:46am
Capn Insan0, please answer the questions I asked above and post more complete specifications.  Please see mine in my signature.  To enter the BIOS to see the boot disk options use F11.  Enjoy,  John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capn Insan0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 9:02am
I installed it there when I fitted it onto the Z170 which was my previous motherboard I was using prior to the Gaming X.
To clarify;
Previous build;
Z170MB + i5-6500
16GB Corsair Vengence LPX [2 x 8GB kit]
Window 10 Pro x64
Transcend 256GB sata m2 SSD as boot drive
Samsung 1TB nvme m2 SSD as data/games drive
Adata 256GB sata SSD for library folders
GTX 1080

Current build now;
X370 Gaming X + Ryzen 5 1600X
16GB Corsair Vengence LPX [2 x 8GB kit]
Window 10 Pro x64
Toshiba 512GB nvme m2 SSD as boot drive
Samsung 1TB nvme m2 SSD as data/games drive
Adata 256GB sata SSD for library folders
GTX 1080

Fatal1ty X370 Gaming X, Ryzen R5 1600X, 1xToshiba SSD XG3, 1xSamsung SSD PM951, 1xAdata SSD, Corsair CMK8GX4M2B3200C16 x2, Windows 10 x64 Pro, Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU Cooler, GTX1080, BIOS TBA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic