ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

370 Fatality Gaming X; No boot from M2_2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Capn Insan0 Capn Insan0 wrote:

Cheers for the replies.
First up, I did get it to be seen as a boot option by changing the order in Hardrive BBS priorities but still no boot into OS. I had another PCIe SSD [a 512GB] onhand so I installed Win10P on that and it worked although I had to bump it up in the menu.
As for why I was using the sata as boot instead of the pcie. I'm aware of the speed difference, my reasoning was that I was using it [the pcie] as a games library primarily so I thought it would be better to load games off that. I was getting ~10sec boot times with the previous build which I felt was good enough.

What happens when you attempt to boot from the Z170 Windows 10 installation on the X370 Fatal1ty Gaming X board? Any messages displayed? Just a blank screen?

You can't expect to use a Windows installation installed on one PC, with another PC that has completely different CPU, chipset, SATA controller(s), networking and other chips. Windows might try to install the necessary, different drivers, but the network driver may not work with the different network chip, among many other differences.
Capn Insan0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capn Insan0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 1:38pm
First of all perhaps I should advise that I've resolved the problem to my satisfaction by replacing the Transcend SATA SSD with an NVME SSD and installed Win10Pro64 on that. The system boots up properly now.

In answer to the question; with the Z170 Win10 installation the system would boot but get a BSOD, unfortunately I cannot recall the exact error now. A few attempts and the automatic recovery would kick in. 

Sorry for the lack of clarity in my initial post, I appreciate the responses to try to resolve it.

If I can, do I edit the title to shown as resolved or is this a mod action?
Fatal1ty X370 Gaming X, Ryzen R5 1600X, 1xToshiba SSD XG3, 1xSamsung SSD PM951, 1xAdata SSD, Corsair CMK8GX4M2B3200C16 x2, Windows 10 x64 Pro, Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU Cooler, GTX1080, BIOS TBA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic