ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AB350 Pro 4 - Ram Voltage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 5:14am
availabilty for consumer
mark ups for stockist
price for consumer

i agree i dont think it excells as ram myself
but i did used to favour it with ddr2 ( xms2 used to be a safe bet for the money)

i still feel blessed by the gods that i managed to overclock some ddr4 2400 corsair lpx to 2933 on a ryzen 1600 system a week or two ago ,and on the same brand motherboard last weekend got another system to click xmp directly at 2933 with the 3000 lpx sticks (it is what a consumer expects but dosnt often see on ryzen at the moment)

what choice do we have ?
gskill tridentz has seen prices skyrocket in the UK since ryzen launched (well the samsung sticks at least)
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
ket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 9:30am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Originally posted by ket ket wrote:

Corsair RAM truly is horrible, ......

I've never understood the rabid following Cursair maintains.

That makes two of us. Whenever I've had the displeasure of using a Corsair kit it has always been any order of magnitude inferior to any other RAM kits I've tested, wether that be G.Skill, Mushkin, when they were about Cellshock, and more often than not even generic kits. Unless you are buying Corsairs most expensive RAM it's a real grab bag of utter dung and absolutely not worth it. The kits that are £/$10 more are so for a reason, theres actually at least some quality in those kits.

Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

availabilty for consumer
mark ups for stockist
price for consumer

i agree i dont think it excells as ram myself
but i did used to favour it with ddr2 ( xms2 used to be a safe bet for the money)

i still feel blessed by the gods that i managed to overclock some ddr4 2400 corsair lpx to 2933 on a ryzen 1600 system a week or two ago ,and on the same brand motherboard last weekend got another system to click xmp directly at 2933 with the 3000 lpx sticks (it is what a consumer expects but dosnt often see on ryzen at the moment)

what choice do we have ?
gskill tridentz has seen prices skyrocket in the UK since ryzen launched (well the samsung sticks at least)

Honestly, buy any other brand or even generic and you'll have less problems getting it to run with Ryzen than a Corsair kit. Thats coming from someone who has had quite a few chats about how problematic Corsair kits are on Ryzen and numerous users coming to me with Corsair kits not working on Ryzen hoping I have some timings for them. It's generally agreed to stay away from Corsair if you have or plan to get a Ryzen system. In my case I'd take it further and say don't bother with Corsair at all go with any other brand, pay the bit extra and get a kit that isn't made with bottom of the barrel ICs. I've heard a lot of stories over the years about Corsair overclocking ICs out of the box so to speak and selling them at higher labelled frequencies. Make of that what you will.

Edited by ket - 08 Sep 2017 at 9:38am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 11:33am

Corsair RAM truly is horrible, often made with ICs that just barely scrap over the line for what they are rated for. So much as changing a memory timing from default down one notch can cause a no POST or BSODs, really awful stuff, which is why I will never recommend it to anyone or review it. Just a FYI for you in the future, basically buy any RAM that isn't Corsair.

Regards your specific problem, it is very unusual. If you haven't done so already;

1. Updated the UEFI to the latest version, power down, remove power cord and CMOS battery, press power button 2-3 times to discharge capacitors.

2. Test each DIMM module in each DIMM bank individually @ 1.35v

3. Swap DIMM banks, if they are in A2+B2, swap them to A1+B1. If I remember correctly thats the config needed on Asrock boards to run memory in dual channel mode. This will at least eliminate the possibility of your sticks being dual rank instead of single rank, although its highly unlikely that 8GB kit is anything but single rank.

4. Try setting the primary timings manually to 15-17-17-35

If that doesn't work and you are able to, send the memory kit back and get literally any other memory kit. It does seem like it is the memory kit that is the problem here I have never, ever, had a board refuse to POST because of the memory voltage I set although I have had memory kits on rare occasions refuse to work with voltage I set.

Just FYI, the A2 and B2 slots are the primary slots that should be used for dual channel mode, when using either single or dual rank DIMMs, on ASRock Ryzen boards, and the majority of other ASRock boards. The exception to this is the X99 and now X299 boards, that should have the A1, B1, etc, slots populated first.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 11:45am
Originally posted by gabrimor gabrimor wrote:

Its really odd behavior, I know.
RAM is CMK8GX4M2B3000C15I5, and i'm using the banks at slots a2 and b2.
As the RAM works with 1.21v, we can say 1.35v its not enough.
As I said, I tried everything, but the problem still. With 1 bank, I can set 1.35v, with two, 1.23v is the limit. The new fact is I can set 1.35v with A-,Tuning software..
I tested RAM with Memtest, Windows Memory Diagnostic, Prime Blend and Asus RealBench. PASSED. But fails with 10 seconds with AIDA64 stability. Sorry for poor text, Um using mobile phone to right....

Have you cleared the UEFI/BIOS with the jumper on the board at any time while testing your memory? If not, you need to do that now. Also do a Load UEFI defaults when you get into UEFI after it is cleared.

When over clocking memory, we know we need to increase the DRAM voltage to allow the memory to complete POST. If increasing the DRAM voltage causes a POST failure, which we still don't have any clue about the cause, not even POST beeps that I asked about, I would only dismiss the board as bad if it did that with more than one model of memory.

I'm very surprised that this memory runs at 2666 at 1.21V at all. For the two Intel systems this memory was designed for, X99 and the 100 series chipset boards, any memory speed above 2133 is a memory OC. There is no chance this memory could operate a 2666 at 1.21V on any of those Intel systems.

What are you using to check the DRAM voltage when in Windows?

When you set the DRAM voltage to 1.35V with A-Tuning, did you check what the DRAM voltage is with another program, like Aida64?
ket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Just FYI, the A2 and B2 slots are the primary slots that should be used for dual channel mode, when using either single or dual rank DIMMs, on ASRock Ryzen boards, and the majority of other ASRock boards. The exception to this is the X99 and now X299 boards, that should have the A1, B1, etc, slots populated first.

Thats the one, I knew it was A2+B2 or A1+B1, hard to remember sometimes with so many configurations rattling around in the ol noggin. You test / read as much tech as I have it all blurs in to one a bit sometimes.
gabrimor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gabrimor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Its really odd behavior, I know.
RAM is CMK8GX4M2B3000C15I5, and i'm using the banks at slots a2 and b2.
As the RAM works with 1.21v, we can say 1.35v its not enough.
As I said, I tried everything, but the problem still. With 1 bank, I can set 1.35v, with two, 1.23v is the limit. The new fact is I can set 1.35v with A-,Tuning software..
I tested RAM with Memtest, Windows Memory Diagnostic, Prime Blend and Asus RealBench. PASSED. But fails with 10 seconds with AIDA64 stability. Sorry for poor text, Um using mobile phone to right....

Have you cleared the UEFI/BIOS with the jumper on the board at any time while testing your memory? If not, you need to do that now. Also do a Load UEFI defaults when you get into UEFI after it is cleared.

When over clocking memory, we know we need to increase the DRAM voltage to allow the memory to complete POST. If increasing the DRAM voltage causes a POST failure, which we still don't have any clue about the cause, not even POST beeps that I asked about, I would only dismiss the board as bad if it did that with more than one model of memory.

I'm very surprised that this memory runs at 2666 at 1.21V at all. For the two Intel systems this memory was designed for, X99 and the 100 series chipset boards, any memory speed above 2133 is a memory OC. There is no chance this memory could operate a 2666 at 1.21V on any of those Intel systems.

What are you using to check the DRAM voltage when in Windows?

When you set the DRAM voltage to 1.35V with A-Tuning, did you check what the DRAM voltage is with another program, like Aida64?

Hi,

First of all, thanks guys, you`re trying to help me.

CMOS properly cleared and UEFI defaults loaded. I did this way and no positive results. 

When I set voltage to 1.35v, the mobo won`t post, and there are no beeps.

It posted, during the tests, 4 or 5 times, but fail next boot.

One important thing: It won`t work even with memory at 2133. It`s voltage problem only.

Are you surprised with the RAM working 2666\1.21v? 

Yes, it is something hard to understand.

As I said, it passed Memtest, Asus RealBench, Windows Memory Diagnostic, Prime95 Blend.

Failed Aida64 in 10 seconds......

About voltage measuring via windows, I`m using Ryzen Master. After the system starts, I get 1.21v. When I set 1.35v with A-Tuning, Ryzen show me 1.35v.

Can I trust A-Tuning is really changing the voltage?

Aida64 stability fails, anyway, but I`m not considering at this moment.

One last thing: I have 9 builds and I never seen something like this. I don`t want to extract all the juice of the sticks, I`m trying only to set the correct voltage.

datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 9:07pm

Honestly, buy any other brand or even generic and you'll have less problems getting it to run with Ryzen than a Corsair kit. Thats coming from someone who has had quite a few chats about how problematic Corsair kits are on Ryzen and numerous users coming to me with Corsair kits not working on Ryzen hoping I have some timings for them. It's generally agreed to stay away from Corsair if you have or plan to get a Ryzen system. In my case I'd take it further and say don't bother with Corsair at all go with any other brand, pay the bit extra and get a kit that isn't made with bottom of the barrel ICs. I've heard a lot of stories over the years about Corsair overclocking ICs out of the box so to speak and selling them at higher labelled frequencies. Make of that what you will.

i dont buy corsair for ryzen, i bought gskill for mine

I DO have to try and get corsair or whatever working for friends when THEY buy corsair Wink
in fairness the last two ryzen builds i have sorted out both used corsair and it couldnt be criticised
allthough in fairness they were both fitted to another brand of board
which does seem to have a very good bios to support corsair ram
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
ket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 9:10pm
This is definitely one of the oddest things I've heard in 22 years of being involved with technology I think we are just going to have to keep taking baby steps until the problem can be isolated. The next thing I would suggest is to run HCI Memtest, opening enough instances to fully utilise your RAM if you use the free version, and let it run for at least 2-3 hours then see if it reports any memory errors. As you say 2133Mhz is even problematic right now my prime suspect would be the memory itself just not playing nicely.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 10:33pm

Hi,

First of all, thanks guys, you`re trying to help me.

CMOS properly cleared and UEFI defaults loaded. I did this way and no positive results. 

When I set voltage to 1.35v, the mobo won`t post, and there are no beeps.

It posted, during the tests, 4 or 5 times, but fail next boot.

One important thing: It won`t work even with memory at 2133. It`s voltage problem only.

Are you surprised with the RAM working 2666\1.21v? 

Yes, it is something hard to understand.

As I said, it passed Memtest, Asus RealBench, Windows Memory Diagnostic, Prime95 Blend.

Failed Aida64 in 10 seconds......

About voltage measuring via windows, I`m using Ryzen Master. After the system starts, I get 1.21v. When I set 1.35v with A-Tuning, Ryzen show me 1.35v.

Can I trust A-Tuning is really changing the voltage?

Aida64 stability fails, anyway, but I`m not considering at this moment.

One last thing: I have 9 builds and I never seen something like this. I don`t want to extract all the juice of the sticks, I`m trying only to set the correct voltage.

Sorry just asking, do you have a POST beep speaker connected to the board, and the POST beep option enabled in the UEFI, Boot screen? Otherwise no POST beeps.

Can you trust A-Tuning? Can you have A-Tuning and Ryzen Master running at the same time, and keep changing the DRAM voltage in A-Tuning to various values, and see it shown and changed in Ryzen Master? Or another program like HWiNFO64? All we have are the monitoring programs in Windows to check voltages, but now we can't trust them? A-Tuning can somehow fool those programs?

Does the AIDA64 stress test fail quickly with the DRAM voltage set to 1.35V in A-Tuning?

Do you have the AM4 Advance Boot Training option enabled (Auto = enabled) in the OC Tweaker screen? If you do, disable it as a test. It hasn't helped the memory speed on my Ryzen PC.

Did you ever try putting both DIMMs in one channel as a test? Using A1 and A2, or B1 and B2?

Did you try removing the CPU and reseating it again? No bent pins?

Unless something is shorting one of the DRAM slot contacts under the board, or a CPU pin problem, it's either the board or the memory.

gabrimor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gabrimor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 6:45am
Hard troubleshooting....

I did some tests today and I found, in this following sequence:

1) Using the two sticks at the A Channel, I can work with 1.35v, or any voltage.

2) Using the two sticks at the BChannel, I can work with 1.35v, or any voltage.

3) The problem, so, happens when I use the sticks in the two channels....

Odd behavior?

So, after this, I decided to test the sticks one by one, doing Aida64 Memory Stability Test.

And I found:

1) Using the first sitck, I pass the test.

2) Using the second stick, it fails.

3) Testing again, with the RESEATED second sitck, it fails again.

The second stick is defectiive, I'm sure.

Ok, now I found something.

But what the hell is the relation between this, with all the voltage problems I had????

I'll try to solve this with the shop, or with Corsair, but I really can't associate the problem with the defective stick, with the voltage problems I had........

Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic