ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

C0 error

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rizzlekicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: C0 error
    Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 5:24am
Hi Community,

I currently try to build a computer. I use following parts:

Threadripper 1920x
Taichi x399 TR4
Gskil Flare X DDR4 (yes, I checked compatibility lists)
1600 Watt EVGA SuperNOVA P2 Modular 80+ Platinum
1080 Ti

I am breadboarding right now. I installed the CPU put one RAM stick in and plugged in the 24 pin, 4/4, 4/4 PSU connectors. When I try to boot right now I see the C0 error code. After around 15 seconds the board simply restarts.

The mainboard is brand-new (got it replaced already for the same error description) so I think I can rule that out as error source right now. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 7:03am
Which slots do you have that G.Skill goodness populating?

Check the they are fully seated.
rizzlekicks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rizzlekicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 7:15am
Currently only one stick is installed and that is in the slot on the right-most (as described in the manual).
Checked multiple times that it is correctly installed.

Edited by rizzlekicks - 07 Sep 2017 at 7:16am
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 7:28am
rizzlekicks, please do a Clear CMOS, if you have not.  Does anyone know what the C0 code means?  I suspect it is vendor specific, meaning ASRock must tell us.  I will post again if I learn anything.  Enjoy, John.

EDIT: Did you have any difficulty closing and securing your CPU?  I know it is a bad idea, but you might try opening the TR4 socket and re-seating it.

Edited by MisterJ - 07 Sep 2017 at 7:30am
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 8:45am
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

Does anyone know what the C0 code means?  I suspect it is vendor specific, meaning ASRock must tell us.

Does anybody know?............ Well, heck yea.
C0; Early CPU Init Start -- Disable Cache ??Init Local APIC

As suggested, clearing the CMOS is almost always req'd EACH time you move and or add memory.

I would suggest placing two sticks in A2 and B2, clearing the CMOS(not BIOS), and attempt to boot.

Have you let it "restart' a few times to determine if this rebooting is just not memory training? Long shot.... but beats yanking the 1920X to reseat it. Which it may come to.........

Reseat all the power connections on the board too. Checking that you didn't inadvertantly leave two connectors power "air" by hanging over the motherboards socket

ket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 10:16pm
The only time I've ever encountered a C0 error code is if the CPU hasn't been seated properly, thats likely the problem. Its also possible the CPU itself is faulty, although unlikely. Have you tried each DIMM module individually? A bad memory module/kit would be the next culprit to suspect. Id also do a full CMOS reset by removing the power cord and battery, setting the jumper to the "clear" position, pressing the power button 2-3 times, then waiting a few seconds before plugging things back in.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rizzlekicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 10:47pm
So I just finished some further tests:

I cleared the CMOS (taking out the battery, pushing the reset button) -> C0
I opened the CPU "tray" and checked that everything is seated properly. Pins look like the mainboard was never used. -> C0
Leaving the setup powered for a while leaves it in the boot loop (every time rebooting after 15 seconds with C0), after a few cycles the mobo shuts down completely, the CPU is quite hot...

I have no further idea, so the only two things left to check is the PSU (no idea how to check if it may be faulty) and the CPU. I guess I just have to get a new TR.
ket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by rizzlekicks rizzlekicks wrote:

So I just finished some further tests:

I cleared the CMOS (taking out the battery, pushing the reset button) -> C0
I opened the CPU "tray" and checked that everything is seated properly. Pins look like the mainboard was never used. -> C0
Leaving the setup powered for a while leaves it in the boot loop (every time rebooting after 15 seconds with C0), after a few cycles the mobo shuts down completely, the CPU is quite hot...

I have no further idea, so the only two things left to check is the PSU (no idea how to check if it may be faulty) and the CPU. I guess I just have to get a new TR.

Test each memory stick individually in every DIMM bank, its quite possible this could be the source of your problems as well as ruling out an iffy DIMM bank.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rizzlekicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 9:46pm
Okay, so I got a new TR and still get the C0.
Could someone from AS Rock please tell me what C0 means and what I could possibly do?

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 9:56pm
As I said on Sept 6:
"C0 Early CPU Init Start -- Disable Cache ??Init Local APIC"

And know knowing it is not the board or a part on it, I'd have the CPU diagnosed on another X399 board at a computer shop.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic