ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x370 Taichi fails to boot W10 with PCIE1x

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x370 Taichi fails to boot W10 with PCIE1x
    Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 2:09am
New build, x370 Taichi, 1800x, 16GB Flare X, Gigabyte 1080Ti, Asus STX II, Evo 950 SATA 1TB. 

Having an issue where Windows 10 refuses to boot when I install my Asus STXII sound card into either one of the PCIE 1x slots, however if I move it to one of the 16x slots everything functions normally.

Installed in a 1x slot causes a crash before the login screen appears then resets itself, and as a secondary issue the motherboard does not properly reset.  Post code 00, lights flash on and off, in an endless loop.  I have to manually reset. 

Booting into safe mode works with the card in the 1x slot.  Device manager recognizes the device still.  I don't have any other 1x devices to test with to determine if its the 1x slots but the chances are pretty slim that both slots themselves are bad.

Newest BIOS installed. AMD chipset drivers installed. STX II drivers installed. Windows 10 is on the latest version, and updates are applied. The only thing I've changed in the BIOS is to set the XMP profile for my ram.

Any ideas?

Edited by Snow - 12 Sep 2017 at 2:10am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 4:52am
Does it boot with the STX in PCIE5?

PCIE5 occupied will disable  M2_2, but that's the slower Gen2 x4 (20 Gb/s).

M2_1 is is the faster Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s) and this is the one of concern anyways to place a fast Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s) M.2 drive.
Snow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 7:31am
I can boot with it in PCIE 3 or PCIE 5 but not PCIE 1 or PCIE 4.  Neither M2 slot is occupied.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 9:42am
Originally posted by Snow Snow wrote:

I can boot with it in PCIE 3 or PCIE 5 but not PCIE 1 or PCIE 4.  Neither M2 slot is occupied.

Some more advance sound cards can take issue on some boards.

Have you disabled the onboard Purity Sound 4 in the BIOS? I don't know your full system specs but it too could be a matter of, maybe, a matter of resources. Again, the better the sound card the more resources it will demand.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 9:47am
00 is "Check CPU" so my guess is resources or a conflict in those slots.

Those are deep in the BIOS and way way above my pay grade.

If you'd like, contact Tech Support at the below link:
http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp
Snow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 12:44am
Submitted a support ticket so we'll see how that goes. 

Disabling the onboard sound doesn't resolve the issue. Previously I was using this card in an intel P68 chipset PC in a PCIE1x gen 2 slot with the same graphics card and it all worked perfectly fine.

Also the 00 bug happens sometimes with windows crashes.  I was getting the same thing before when I was trying to use an NVME drive, which I suspect is just bad, but windows would crash and the PC would end up in the same state.
PepeC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PepeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 5:26pm
I have the same problem.

Essence STX breaks windows when driver is installed.

Works fine on PCIEx16.

On Ubuntu 17.04 works fine with PICEx1

I had this card on an old intel motherboard without problems in PCIEx1
Its weird

Inform us with the ticket response please.

Regards
Snow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 1:12am
After some troubleshooting support is issuing an RMA. I'll post again after I have the new board.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 2:54am
Good luck with the RMA/replacement Wink
PepeC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PepeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 9:02pm
Good luck.

Although I don't think that a new mb is going to fix the problem.

I remembered that I had a similar issue with this sound card on my old intel mb, it was fixed with a bios update.

I think that Essence STX card does something weird on pcie.

Anyways please tell us how it works on your new mb.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic