ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sound card not detected on Z97 Extreme6.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChalkyWhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sound card not detected on Z97 Extreme6.
    Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 4:41pm
I have the following rig:-

Motherboard:- Asrock Z97 Extreme6 (1.30)
CPU:-  i7 4790k
RAM:- 2x8 G.Skill TridentX DDR3 dual channel
GPU:- Zotac 980Ti AMP Extreme edition.
PSU:- Coolmaster 850W
There are another 6 HDDs and 1 SSD connetcted to SATA ports.

I have a Samsung XP941 M.2 256GB SSD (PCIEx4) in the Ultra M.2 (x4) slot as my boot drive. 

The graphics card is 3 slots wide and is sat in PCIE2, it covers PCIE3.

I bought a Creative Sound Blaster Zx. I followed the install instructions and put the card into PCIE1. I tired the drivers on the CD and also downloaded the latest drivers When I try to install software I get 'setup is unable to detect a supported product' on the screen. 

I went into the UEFI and and in the part where it shows a picture of the motherboard and you hover the mouse over PCIE1 slot it shows as empty.

I tried disabling the On-board sound in UEFI and rebooted but that did not fix the problem, I switched it to auto and rebooted, this did not fix the problem.

My understanding is that of the 16 PCIE planes, the graphics card uses x8, the M.2 drive uses x4, that should leave 4 free of which the sound card only needs x1 I think.

What am I doing wrong? What should I try next.

Thank you for reading.

ChalkyWhite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChalkyWhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 8:27pm
Just a quick question, I could potentially put the sound card in the PCIE5 slot, it will leave enough room for my graphics card to suck in air, and will not totally block the air coming out of my PSU, BUT, will it get enough power, or draw too much power? I don't want to try it until I know for sure. 
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 9:01pm
There shouldn't be any problem putting it in the bottom slot.  I am curious as to why you are concerned about power. 

If the reason is as I suspect then yes, you shouldn't have power issues. PCIE x1 slots are wired exactly the same as the equivalent portions of PCIE x4, x8 and x16 slots so it will provide the same amount of power as the x1 slot you had it in before.

Good luck
ChalkyWhite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChalkyWhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 10:10pm
I tried it and it worked, thank you!!! Smile
I put in PCIE5 and it was detected on start up. Glad I got it, the main issue I had with the onboard sound was the level of interference, it was distracting. The new card not only sound better but there is no longer any interference. Asrock need to work on the shielding on the onboard sound modual they have. 
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 12:18am
Great to hear, enjoy your new setup Cool
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic