ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock x99 Extreme4 + Xeon CPU ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SonicPLD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock x99 Extreme4 + Xeon CPU ?
    Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 7:07pm
Hello.
I am about to buy ASRock X99 Extreme4, in order to put ES of Intel Xeon E5 2658 V3.

I wonder if I definitely need ECC memory in this case, and what if I use a regular non-ECC memory? 

Thank You in advance.

Edited by SonicPLD - 12 Sep 2017 at 7:13pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by SonicPLD SonicPLD wrote:

Hello.
I am about to buy ASRock X99 Extreme4, in order to put ES of Intel Xeon E5 2658 V3.

I wonder if I definitely need ECC memory in this case, and what if I use a regular non-ECC memory? 

Thank You in advance.

The vast majority of PCs don't use ECC memory. Only a few boards and CPUs can use ECC memory, and it is more expensive and a little slower than standard, non-ECC memory. Do users of all the PCs that do not have ECC memory have problems that we know are caused by not having it? No they don't.

Think of all the things we do with our PCs that work perfectly every day. Email, Internet browsing, buying things over the Internet, do they fail all the time, or even rarely? Not for me or anyone I know. Do our smart phones use ECC memory? No, and they also work fine day after day.

A Xeon CPU does not require ECC memory. So you don't definitely need it. If your use of the PC is doing some critical scientific calculations over long periods of time that also requires you to prove your results are correct, then you might want to use ECC memory. If the work you do on a PC has problems that you know are caused by memory errors, then you would want ECC memory.

If you don't use ECC memory, your PC will work fine. It is not a requirement for any CPU.

SonicPLD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SonicPLD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 12:31pm
Thank You very much fellow ! 

I appreciate the wide answer :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic