ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windows lagging on new system!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kentiler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windows lagging on new system!
    Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 8:52pm
Hi,

I just built a new system that I designed to be a power workhorse.  However, the performance is concerning me!

I have the ASRock X399 Professional Gaming Motherboard with the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950x, 64GB RAM, M.2 Samsung 960 Pro SSD for OS, and 6 Sata drives in RAID 10 for data, and a GTZ 1080 TI video card.  

I have performance set to high in Windows 10 pro, so no CPUs are sleeping.  

I'm copying files from my old computer to this one via the Network - that is the only task that is running.  CPU Load is low, but I'm getting lag in just typing this!  I should be able to be run 10 copies, do some video rendering, play a game, and watch a movie at the same time on this!

Why would it be lagging so bad under such a minimal load?

--Kent
imamnanda2502 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imamnanda2502 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by kentiler kentiler wrote:

Hi,

I just built a new system that I designed to be a power workhorse.  However, the performance is concerning me!

I have the ASRock X399 Professional Gaming Motherboard with the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950x, 64GB RAM, M.2 Samsung 960 Pro SSD for OS, and 6 Sata drives in RAID 10 for data, and a GTZ 1080 TI video card.  

I have performance set to high in Windows 10 pro, so no CPUs are sleeping.  

I'm copying files from my old computer to this one via the Network - that is the only task that is running.  CPU Load is low, but I'm getting lag in just typing this!  I should be able to be run 10 copies, do some video rendering, play a game, and watch a movie at the same time on this!

Why would it be lagging so bad under such a minimal load?

--Kent

try to reset the bios first.. if its not working try to re-seat your ram. some time bad seating ram can cause that issue but before do that please reset the bios first and post back
thuckechsu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thuckechsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 9:47pm
Open Event Viewer->Windows log->System  to see what happend when you 're lagging.

Mine is lagging just because I didnt turn on SATA hot plug feature on bios. Hope this help.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 11:27pm
Do you have the AMD chipset drivers installed? The Windows High Performance power plan should be Ok, but did you try the Ryzen power plan?

I suggest using HWiNFO64 to check the core/thread usage. It will show the usage of each core and thread individually.

Originally posted by thuckechsu thuckechsu wrote:

Open Event Viewer->Windows log->System  to see what happend when you 're lagging.

Mine is lagging just because I didnt turn on SATA hot plug feature on bios. Hope this help.

That's weird, unless you were using IDE mode for the drives, hard to believe that was even an option (IDE) in an X399 board's UEFI/BIOS. Hot plug is an AHCI feature, also available in RAID mode, but other AHCI features should work without hot plugging enabled.

Hmmm... 4K random and 4K high queue depth disk IO performance tends to be low on AM4/Ryzen systems, with hot plugging disabled by default. Since Threadripper is based on the same CPU and SOC dies, I wonder.... Time to test that.

thuckechsu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thuckechsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 1:05am
Here is my log: "Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued"

I guess my SSD could go into sleep mode for a while, so I enable SATA hot plug feature. Bump! Problem is gone.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic