ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

OC Tweaker Screen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manny63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OC Tweaker Screen
    Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 9:56pm
I just updated the bios on my motherboard (h97m-pro4) from 1.9 to 2.0. When I went into bios set-up I noticed that Non z oc feature is no longer available in the oc tweaker screen. I have rebooted  a number of times but it is nowhere to be found. I used this to adjust the "turbo" on my processor (i5 4690k).  Is it me or is this something that happens alot? I find it strange. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 10:15pm
The latest bios for non Z motherboards is designed for windows 10 compatibility and the main thing that it does is remove non-Z overclocking. This is due to intel and Microsoft making it impossible to use overclocking on non Z platforms via a windows update which comes standard with windows 10. There is a workaround that allows both overclocking and windows 10 on the previous bios versions but it involves renaming system files which I am not comfortable recommending. 

Basically if you want non Z overclocking, revert to version 1.9 as 2.0 removes the feature. This update was provided by ASRock to correct issues faced primarily by Pentium G3258 users using boards other than Z97 and Z87.  
camomatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camomatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 8:07am
Is it possible that they'll update the BIOS to enable Non-Z overclocking again? Or are we stuck with the choices of reverting to an old version of Windows or going without the OC?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by camomatt camomatt wrote:

Is it possible that they'll update the BIOS to enable Non-Z overclocking again? Or are we stuck with the choices of reverting to an old version of Windows or going without the OC?

There is zero chance of that happening, sorry to say. Intel took their battle against this to Microsoft, which helped them win the war it seems.

Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

The latest bios for non Z motherboards is designed for windows 10 compatibility and the main thing that it does is remove non-Z overclocking. This is due to intel and Microsoft making it impossible to use overclocking on non Z platforms via a windows update which comes standard with windows 10. There is a workaround that allows both overclocking and windows 10 on the previous bios versions but it involves renaming system files which I am not comfortable recommending. 

Basically if you want non Z overclocking, revert to version 1.9 as 2.0 removes the feature. This update was provided by ASRock to correct issues faced primarily by Pentium G3258 users using boards other than Z97 and Z87.  

I am concerned that changing to the 1.90 UEFI won't bring the feature back. Ouch

2.00 has a microcode update. The microcode update removes the feature. That may not be overwritten in every UEFI update.

I may be wrong, hopefully someone will try changing to 1.90 and post the results here.
camomatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camomatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 2:36pm
I just tried reverting to 1.90.

I briefly see the Windows 10 splash screen and it begins preparing for a repair, but immediately the system restarts back to the ASRock splash screen.

Edit:
I tried the trick posted here and messed up at first, but fixed it and got it working. I'm sure they'll patch it eventually, but maybe (just maybe) out of the kindness of their hearts they won't :')

Edited by camomatt - 11 Aug 2015 at 4:07pm
Asrock H81M-ITX, Intel Pentium G3258 (4.1GHz), GTX 750, 8GB RAM

Asrock Z77 Extreme 4, Intel i7 3770 (4.1GHz), 2x GTX 980, 16GB RAM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic