ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - [RESOLVED, by TSD]1950x will not boot media comp.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

[RESOLVED, by TSD]1950x will not boot media comp.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 6:11am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Windows 7 you need to use:
http://www.asrock.com/microsite/win7install/

Clarification:

To enable USB mice and KBs you need to use the above patcher on Windows 7.

Too, I wonder, on one of your attemptsTongue , use the SATA Floppy Image available on your MB's dl pages. RAID or otherwise.

I unzip it right to the 10 USB install stick and F6 it where it asks what drive you want to use to install to. It'll present 3 dirs, with the top one being RAID drivers pre-install.

I dl/'d the media tool last night. 1703.15063.0

MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 7:25am
Thanks, Wardog.  I am sorry I mentioned W7.  I have no interest in installing W7 on my system, I only used the disk to see if it would function and it does.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 9:26am
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

Thanks, Wardog.  I am sorry I mentioned W7.  I have no interest in installing W7 on my system, I only used the disk to see if it would function and it does.  Enjoy, John.

NP John.

I only pointed it out as your issue with 7 there on x399 system.

hehe, No. Not unless you ha(d)(ve) an important program that the programmers left at 7.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 11:12am
It sounds like the optical drive you are using on the X399 board does not support UEFI, while the one on your Ryzen 7 PC does. Not all optical drives support UEFI.

Did you check what is shown in the boot order for the optical drive in the X399 board, when you have the Windows 10 installation disk in it? Does it have the prefix "UEFI:" and then the optical drive name? It's also possible that the boot order entry on the X399 system will have the "UEFI:" prefix, but if the optical drive does not support UEFI, it won't work correctly.

The hint here is the Windows 7 disk started normally, since the Windows 7 installation files do not support UEFI without a modification. It's entry in the boot order would not have the "UEFI:" prefix. Windows 10 installation media will normally default to the "UEFI:" prefix. Windows 7 also does not have an NVMe driver, so would fail when trying to install to an NVMe SSD.

Did you use the same technique, booting WinPE, on your Ryzen 7 PC?

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

It sounds like the optical drive you are using on the X399 board does not support UEFI, while the one on your Ryzen 7 PC does. Not all optical drives support UEFI.

Lord, I haven't used an ODD to install an OS for years and years.

parsec, it seems to me it should have "installed' regardless of UEFI: <ODD> or not.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

The hint here is the Windows 7 disk started normally, since the Windows 7 installation files do not support UEFI without a modification.

Bumping my post count..........

Doesn't 7 choke on correct updated USB drivers missing? Isn't that all the Patcher remedies?
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 3:32am
                                                                 RESOLVED!
First, I want to apologize for even mentioning booting the W7 install DVD.  I never wanted to install W7, just see if it was possible to boot anything on this machine.  I certainly did not need old bugs to chase.  The fact that it did boot gave me a way forward.  I made a WinPE CD ROM and it booted fine.  Then I made a WinPE USB stick with no extra files like were on the old one.  It booted fine also.  I then used the USB stick to do a flat install from one one of the SSDs and all went fine.  The system is running fine.  I suspect I have a similar problem to this thread:
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5860&KW=2016&PN=1&title=x399-taichi-with-tr-wont-install-server-2016
I also suspect this is a BIOS problem.  Since, at least for me, it seems to be boot device size dependent, I suspect that the BIOS is using a 32 bit variable for addressing data (>4GB) on the device.  I do not know if this is an ASRock or an AMD problem, so I will open a ticket on both.  The fact that the BIOS and AGESA are so down level on Threadripper should be a shame to both.  I hope it is fixed soon.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

Edited by MisterJ - 15 Sep 2017 at 3:34am
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 3:55am
and only on the last reply did i notice the thread was started by john

im not used to you having a problem

good luck with the new build mate
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 3:58am
[RESOLVED] !!!!!!!!!!

John, not for a minute can I believe a very recent from the ground up platform would not have 48-bit LBA. That would go down as a World Class blunder if this was true.

Let me read that link you provided. And go back to your original to see the components used again.

Edited by wardog - 15 Sep 2017 at 3:58am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 4:21am
Hmmmm, John,

To be clear, you do or do not have 10 installed? hehe 'cuz you keep interjecting 7, you last post left me confused this time Embarrassed

If 10 is not, have you tried as I suggested and used F6 on install using the SATA Floppy Image drivers available on the MBs download page(s)? It contains both flavors of controller drivers.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic